Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking For

Jamesb4uk

As in boot enclosures??? bit like mine :yes:

So what sort of enclosures are you after then? :fear:

When you say back seat install, as in audio install with speakers/amp all in the back seat/boot area??

Where can you travel to to have it installed?

When you say back seat install, as in audio install with speakers/amp all in the back seat/boot area??

Where can you travel to to have it installed?

yep - hopefully to include an in car PC as well.

don't really mind the travel but it depends on the cost of the install - i haven't fully worked it out yet.

do you do installs?

J

No i don't do install, tried to one this car, but got into such a mess, gave up and got it pro-installed instead. Thats why mine looked to good :yes:

Ok, now i got an idea of what your trying to do, i can give you a rough cost of what to expect.

Install and labour cost would be in the region of £40-£60 per hour, excluding equipment and materials.

Mine cost £1100 for full install, that should of taken 7days ended up nearly 2 weeks :eek: (all own equipment, but helps if you buy things from them, as i did :thumbsup: )

That covered complete install of audio, custom build of amp & sub enclosures with false floor in boot, basicly the whole boot.

Depending on what you want to do, will reflect on the cost, also depending on who/where you go will also vary in price and quality.

Give me some more idea of what your trying to do, and i could help you find an installer who could help.

Ok.....

now i'm not sure if this is going ahead yet but.....

i've got a Power Acoustic q2.1800. & i'm trying to locate some power acoustic Subs to compliment the amp.

so.....

i'm after a full back seat install having the amp on display under Perspex or some similar clear material.

Undernieth the amp i'd like my in car PC. (still accessable so i'd like the amp on a kind of hinge setup)

on the vertical part of the install i'd like the subs (with space in the middle for something else :ph34r: )

the pc will be linked to an in dash touch screen.

i think thats all for now :thumbsup:

J

WOW!!! :yes:

One heck of a setup you want there.

I did a quick search of your setup, and it looks impressive from what you got and what you want.

Can i ask, why do you need the PC in the car for, i know you want it for your in-dash screen, but what are you going to control?? Sub control, amp control, DVD feature, EQ function, gaming feature? I've seen a few setups with PC in them, but they serve very little functionality, other than setup which once your got done, won't do much else, i mean, theres only so much you can tweaking you can do before you over tweak it :thumbsup:

Ok, from what i can work out, it will take alot of fibreglass, MDF will make the car heavy and boxy looking unless you want to spend alot of time sanding it down. You want the amp on a hinge setup, yeah could be fun to fit in without sqashing the cables. The PC hidden underneath, providing it's slim, i can see that being fitting in there :thumbsup:

When you planning for this install??

Where can you travel to have the install done?

well the main reason i want the Pc is for storing around 40gb's worth of MP3's & around 30+ movies.

also it will be used for Sat Nav plus i'm an IT techie so you know what we're like :P

the setup for the PC revolves around an IBM laptop which i already own but don't use - so i thought what the hell - put it in the car....

as for the actual install - i'm not too concerned about looks as i'm not going for competitions just functionallity & own use.

as for time wise - not really sure, i've got about half of the kit, just need the screen & the subs. looking at getting the screen next week.

For travel - not half way up the country :P - somewhere in the south east if possible. but i use the car for a daily driver so i can't leave it anywhere....

J

OK, i can see your going to have a problem with the install already.

The installer would like to have the car there, so they can do the install in there own time/allotted time period of what they can do, so best plan if your going away on hoilday would be ideal for you there.

I had to hire out a car, when i had my car done, but it wan't as expensive as i though but even so, still added expsence that wasn't needed for the final bill.

Ok, with the PC idea, good like it :yes: , but sounds like alot of effort for things you could buy already. Having a HD with 40Gb, can buy already, play movies yep can find already, something like an iPod could do just as well, having Sat-Navi yeah lots out there that could fit your install requirements, but if you can get the laptop to do all of this, then you have got it sorted there, but if you know your techie stuff then it would be childs play for you, so like your idea :yes::thumbsup:

I think you could do with a setup like what i've got, not so much equipment, but layout as in, amp on one side of the boot, sub on the other, and have the laptop under front passenger seat. That way you can hide it away, but pull it out if you need to either change material on your laptop or any disks, also if you can find away to do it, get a easy/quick disconnection adaptor incase you ever need to pull it out of you car for security reason :thumbsup:

Don't ever think it won't get nicked, cause if they ever find out, say bye bye to it quickly :crybaby:

yeah - was thinking of getting somehting else for a daily driver anyways, but more on that later :ph34r: i'll be doing a LOT of work on the Cynos later on so it will be easier for future plans.

the install i was looking at doing with the hinge setup on the base holding the amp would hopefully beable to hide the laptop sufficiently enough for me to take the laptop out for security reasons. :thumbsup: but all my equipment is declared on my insurance just in case.

Authough i'm fairly set on the back seat install i'm partial to a boot install such as the one below :yes:

IMGP5048.jpg

i've already figured out the wiring for the subs, amp, PC & screen so thats not a problem i can install everything myself so all i'd need is someone to do the build... :yes:

the equipment - yes i could buy everything seperatly but then i'd have the dash cluttered with ipods, satnav etc, everything in one place is a hell of a lot cleaner in my view.

BTW just had a look at your car & install - very nice matey :thumbsup:

also - i couldn't do the side of boot install for the amp - you can see why below :lol:

amp.jpg

J

I always like the open view of an amp, showing the insides off, but wasn't really that fussed about it, also wanted it to be sandblasted as well, just to really show it off, but would of cost some £300 on an already £1200 amp!!!! :censor: :crybaby:

You be surprised how much space it needed to get the amp where it was, and how much work, but it finally fitted in, and when the boot open you be hard pushed from a glance to see where it is, they did a great job blending it in.

I'm sure your amp could fit in there as well, with a bit of jigging about :yes:

Did you want the sub, like where the picture showing it, in the middle of the boot, or did you actually want it on the back seats, like folded down?? I take it you want it in acustom enclosure of some sort??

I was thinking, the JL Audio W7 sub would be ideal for the amp power your pushing into it, i know a few guys, giving it some welly, and the sub just took it in it's stride. They can handle some power, more than the recommeded rating.

Anufortunatly i've already tried that one mate - the boots tiney & the amps huge lol

which is why i'm after a seat install - never use the rear seats anyway as anyone who goes in the back of a paseo no matter how tall you are whacks their head on the rear windscreen :lol:

but yeah - the enclosure i'm after is a rear seat - amp on the horisontal base & the subs on the virtical. with the laptop/PC undernieth the amp.

i'm toying with the idea of where to put the screen now... :rolleyes:

nice idea for the subs - will look into those as well as the PA ones. :thumbsup:

J

For someone who wants all this in there car for daily use, sure is showing off alot of kit on the back seats, don't forget to tint the windows then :thumbsup:

You might have to look into about using PA Speakers, they might have different Ohms rating which will bugger up the power ratings.

Most subs run at 1 / 2 / 4 Ohms, i think PA stuff run at 8 Ohms+

Also, althought they are loud, i don't think they have the quality build like a normal sub has, which mean you could fry it quicker than you know it with what your amp rating power can do.

huh???? oh sorry was being lazy - by PA i ment power acoustic.

if all this goes ahead the Cynos isn't going to be a dailey driver - its put up with me for nearly 5 years fo i think she's had enough lol...

J

if you put the pc (even a notebook) into the trunk quite near the subs, the poor thing will probably go defunct in a few months. a wise choice to put it would be under the passanger's seat. heavily isolated against vibrations of course. ibm thinkpad's are formidable, but come on, really, every time you'd crank up the volume it'd be like knocking on its case with a hammer, that dont make no sense. you'd be wiser selling it off on eBay and getting a creative zen touch or similar, and connect it to the aux input of the head unit. plus you can take it with you and fill it up with music as you go. also that setup you're talking about it attracts faaar too much attention, i dont know what kind of neighbourhood you live in but you'd better watch where you park.

i realise this will attract attention mate - but the car is parked in a secure compound by day & by night its in a secure garage - & i'll be getting a decent alarm on her too. :thumbsup:

in our neighborhood we have modded rx7's, Supra's, scoobies, couple of MR2's & a mental rover 220 coupe... oh & a pulsar just moved in. :lol:

i'm doing a mockup this weekend to see where everything goes..

authough now i'm trying to decide on an indash flipout tv or moulded 7" one. :rolleyes:

J

I would choose the static 7" monitor, rather than the filp out.

It's something i would like to install in my car, but think i'll have to opt for the motorised screen instead :crybaby:

yeah was thinking that way - but i like the idea of stealth for the flip screen - being able to hide it & not have to worry about mounting issues as it will fit in my spare DIN slot..

well i've just ordered my GPS reciever :thumbsup: opted for a USB one rather than bluetooth..

edit - balls.... just made a mockup of the standalone screen - it won't fit unless i move the ciggie lighter & ashtray...

update - just ordered the wiring for the laptop to the head unit, USB hub & a flexible USB mini keyboard :thumbsup:

all i need now is the screen

J

update -

tested my GPS mouse reciever this morning on the way to work using microsoft autoroute 05. worked fine. now i'm looking for a decent mapping software which will provide voice warnings & 3d display... :help:

my USB hub & flexible keyboard arrived today & so did the cableing. so i can test this all this weekend :thumbsup:

next up deciding on the screen :thumbsup:

J