Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intercooler

tricky_celica_gt4

hey ppl

i bought my celica gt4 about a year ago and i've never looked back since. they are so much fun. i've had a few issues with water pumps, prop shafts etc, quite pricey to replace but well worth it in the end.

the car is quite old, 14yrs. its a jap import and done around 90k miles.

im wantin to get the intercooler relocated to the front and pos put an st205 turbo in it.

was wonderin if anyone could tell me, firstly what type of intercooler i should get and secondly how difficult it is?

do yous also think its worth gettin the st205 turbo put in it or should i save some more to get somethin bigger?

cheers

Hi and welcome to TOC. good to see another northerner on board :D

The ST205 turbo will happily boost at about 1.2 bar but will give up eventualy. also a second hand one may be worn. TBH you choice is an uprated one from fennies or such like - send yours away and they send an uprated on back - but they can be a bit questionable as to what you get back - most seem to be CT20 bodies uprated, a stage 3 ct26 rebuild is basically a ST205 turbo mate - so the other option is a garrett or such like for big power.

See the Turbo Junkies thread stickied above!

Front Mount Intercooler is the way to go with an uprated turbo - but it aint as simple as that as you need a boost controller and also remapping of the ECU or a piggy back. Also you will need bigger injectors and perhaps an uprated fuel pump.

to be honest the cheapest way and by no means inferior - your best bet is is exhaust, down pipe, induction kit, fuel cut defender or remap, boost controller, uprated CT26, 'charge cooler'. should be good for a 13 second qtr mile.

cheers

Evening Ritchie, hows tricks?!

As Ill prob end up gettin roped into helpin with these mods on Ritchies GT4 could someone relay how easy/hard its gonnie be to mount a FMIC? ie are there suitably placed mounting points or will we have to make our own etc??

Also whats a good size IC to aim for? ie length/breadth/flowrate?

Cheers!

I`ve just fitted a cosie 2WD FMIC on mine (Should be good upto about 300BHP) . Bit of a headache routing pipes etc but as i`ve previously junked my aircon, Rad fan (Fitted a spall on the other side of the rad). and fitted a de-cat downpipe. This has freed up a lot of room at the front of the engine. If you`ve still got all the gubbins it`s going to be well tight for space so some careful planning for the routing of the pipework will be needed. :thumbsup:

if you's are needing a hand i'm in the area if your looking for a cooler go on e-bay, any shape or size you want ! :D

• 3 weeks later...

cheers guys for the reply's, its been a big help.

i've been toying with the idea of just doing things like after market ecu's and charge coolers from reading a few other post's on other forums. you's have helped kinda clear things up.

the next stage is buying these parts. do you guys have any recomendations of where to get ecu's and a charge cooler??

cheers once again

if you's are needing a hand i'm in the area if your looking for a cooler go on e-bay, any shape or size you want ! :D

cheers for ofering to help mate, i'll keep you in mind when i get my gear. im just new at this game so anyone that wants to help, that would be mint.

cheers

There`s a charge cooler for sale on Ebay. CLICKY

Strange.... It`s coming up as invalid item when you click on the link. Go to eBay and type in item no 4585197828 :thumbsup:

There`s a charge cooler for sale on Ebay. CLICKY

Strange.... It`s coming up as invalid item when you click on the link. Go to eBay and type in item no 4585197828 :thumbsup:

cheers mate, i'll go have a look. will it just be a straight swap, or will it be simple enuf to mod it to work??

Pass.... I think it works off of a sensor or two so it`s probably routed through the ECU somehow. I dare say there`s a way round it. Pop over to GT4OC there`s a couple of gen 5 owners that have done this mod. :thumbsup:

Pass.... I think it works off of a sensor or two so it`s probably routed through the ECU somehow. I dare say there`s a way round it. Pop over to GT4OC there`s a couple of gen 5 owners that have done this mod.  :thumbsup:

cheers for link cheif, the only thing it seems you have to pay for the info, or am i just bein stupid.

cheers for link cheif, the only thing it seems you have to pay for the info, or am i just bein stupid.

You have to pay for membership to GT4OC but should get a 60 day trail if you register, membership is well worth it though only £20 for the year and you'll save that in no time through discount and advise. Best place to go for any GT4 related problems :thumbsup:

AFAIK the chargecooler setup works off a thermostat that switches on the pump wonce it reaches a certain temp, it does have sensors running thru the ECU but they dont affect the running of the system, just give you fault codes (54) for low fluid level etc.

as for ECU's it totally depends on what power your going for, i'm currently running an e-manage piggy back with no issues, except melting my head gasket after my water pump failed, but thats my own fault for now getting it changed when i got it.

if your going for BIG power as in 450+ then your better off with stand alone, MoTeC is used by Fennies in all their cars and they have no issues with them as it is such a good system.

AFAIK the chargecooler setup works off a thermostat that switches on the pump wonce it reaches a certain temp, it does have sensors running thru the ECU but they dont affect the running of the system, just give you fault codes (54) for low fluid level etc.

as for ECU's it totally depends on what power your going for, i'm currently running an e-manage piggy back with no issues, except melting my head gasket after my water pump failed, but thats my own fault for now getting it changed when i got it.

if your going for BIG power as in 450+ then your better off with stand alone, MoTeC is used by Fennies in all their cars and they have no issues with them as it is such a good system.

what kinda money you talking to get a piggyback ecu??

how do they work?? how are the different from standalone ones??

piggy backs basically alter the information that the standard ECU recieves and this allows for alterations in the fueling and timing to be made.

you can pick up an e-manage system pretty cheaply now a days search for greenline and they supply them from good old jap land at bargin prices