Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Car Is Broken

Richie (Paseo)

I took my out on friday night, everything was running fine, started everytime with no problems. The car was on in the driveway for saturday and sunday not being touched, then tonight I got in to go swimming, turned the key to start it and it didnt turn over, just made a clicking noise. I thought that my Battery wasnt charged enough so i hooked it up to my mums car Battery, tried to start again but it wouldnt turn over and it was just this clicking again.

Could it be the starter motor?

Or possibly the alternator?

What could have caused it? I havent done anything to it, it was working fine the other night.

Any Help Will Be Greatly Appreciated.

Rich

alternator wouldn't matter if you tried a jump and it still didn't work. check your plugs and wires first, but if it's clicking, then it's probably the starter motor. can you hear a buzzing sound?

i'd get a pro to do it. it's hard to say without looking at it, but if it's not buzzing, that means that the starter isn't even powered up, so like DazH said, prolly solenoid.

Anybody know where the starter motor is on a 5e-fe? Because if I can get it out, theres a place in my town that strips them down and repairs them.

Thanks

starter motor is on the back of the engine, one end nearest the gearbox. it is held on with two bolts. There will be some wires going to it, try and wriggle those wires to see if its a loose conneciton.

the starter motor is actually two items. it is an electric motor which spins round, and an solenoid which throws out the starter gear to mesh with the flywheel and this then cranks over the car.

You've checked the Battery - normally its a duff Battery that doesn't produce enough "oomph", then I would double check connections and then its most likley a solenoid problem

starter motor is on the back of the engine, one end nearest the gearbox.  it is held on with two bolts.  There will be some wires going to it, try and wriggle those wires to see if its a loose conneciton.

the starter motor is actually two items.  it is an electric motor which spins round, and an solenoid which throws out the starter gear to mesh with the flywheel and this then cranks over the car.

You've checked the battery - normally its a duff battery that doesn't produce enough "oomph", then I would double check connections and then its most likley a solenoid problem

Cheers Andrew, what would we all do without you :P

Just to let you all know, I got the starter motor back from the garage today, the guy had it in pieces, couldnt find anything wrong with it, so i put it back on the car, and everything is now working fine, guess it just need a good cleaning and greasing :P

Thanks for all your help

Rich