Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radiator Cap

boundsw

Right,

need a new radiator cap ! :angry:

The rubber round mine has cracked and a piece has snapped off, now the cap still fits, but i am loosing stupid amounts of water (guess cus there is no pressure, and its just evaporating out !! :ffs: )

I have seen this TRD cap on ebay but will it fit my 1990 rev 1 ?

if not, does anyone have a cap that will fit that I could buy ?!

any ideas :D

yes that will fit, Just get one with the same pressure rating, thats at 1.3bar and im not sure what the stock cap should be. It may actually be that? go check :P

yeah, the stock caps are 0.9 bar :thumbsup:

I thought the TRD high pressure ones increased water system pressure, and so increased the boiling point, and so kept the system cooler ?!! :wacko:

I though it might not fit as SW20 is in the DOES NOT FIT list, but i can never remember which engine the rev 1 tubby is ?, also it says 1993 onwards (will fit), and mines 1990/1991 ??? :!Removed!:

any ideas ?

*****WHOOPS***** :D

yeah, the stock caps are 0.9 bar :thumbsup:

I thought the TRD high pressure ones increased water system pressure, and so increased the boiling point, and so kept the system cooler ?!! :wacko:

I though it might not fit as SW20 is in the DOES NOT FIT list, but i can never remember which engine the rev 1 tubby is ?, also it says 1993 onwards (will fit), and mines 1990/1991 ??? :!Removed!:

any ideas ?

*****WHOOPS***** :D

Will not fit the following models / engines:

Corolla AE92 GTS with 4A-GZE

Corolla AE92 with 4A-F, 4A-FE, 4A-GE

Corolla AE86 with 4A-C

Corolla AE86 GTS with 4A-GEC

Supra MA61 with 5M-GE

Supra GA70 with 1G-GTE, 1G-GE or 1G-FE

MR2 SW20 with 3S-GTE or 3S-GE

MR2 SW21 with 5S-FE

MR2 AW11 with 4A-GZE or 4A-GE or 4A-GELC

Starlet EP71 with 2E-TE or 2E-E

90-95 4Runner with 3VZ-E

88-95 4Runner/Truck 4Cyl and 3.0 V6

97-01 Camry/Solara V6

87-89 Celica with 3S-GTE

90-97 Land Cruiser with 1FZFE

Sounds fishy to me!!! That's almost the entire Toyota range that this cap won't fit. Maybe it's not quite as genuine a part as they say!?!?

I'd go for the Fensport TRD cap mate. It's £18.50 + VAT, with a 10% discount if you're a gold member. At least you'll know it's right for your car!

but i can never remember which engine the rev 1 tubby is ?

All MR2 MkII tubbies are 3S-GTE engine AFIK, so according to the seller it won't fit.

• 4 weeks later...

Got a new cap, but still the same !

Losing water, and have to top up every day or starts over heating.

Its not HG as it is fine when the water levels ok (and no oil / water mix either)

My dad recons it the water pump, as if i drive it, it never over heats. !

It's just if i drive, then stop for half hour, then drive it starts, and i have to top up.

could the water pump cause this, how can i see / tell whats causing this leak !?! its really starting to do my head in

Got a new cap, but still the same !

Losing water, and have to top up every day or starts over heating.

Its not HG as it is fine when the water levels ok (and no oil / water mix either)

My dad recons it the water pump, as if i drive it, it never over heats. !

It's just if i drive, then stop for half hour, then drive it starts, and i have to top up.

could the water pump cause this, how can i see / tell whats causing this leak !?! its really starting to do my head in

Only time I ever had a water pump leak (on a Vauxhall mind), it leaked outwards onto the garage floor and was pretty obvious where it was coming from.

Is the water just disappearing, i.e. there's no sign of it leaking or steaming out now you've got the new rad cap? If that's the case then it must be going into the engine somewhere mustn't it. Sorry, but that would imply either head gasket or else something else unpleasant. I can't see how it can leak into the engine via the water pump.

Or are there clear signs of water or steam leaving some part of the system to the outside world? In that case a blockage of some sort is likely. Maybe thermostat, maybe the rad matrix or perhaps the water pump? I'd check the thermostat first if you haven't already done so. (Pop it in some water in an old pan and see if it opens up at the appropriate temperature). If you haven't got a thermometer then at least check it opens up well before the water boils. If it doesn't open up even at boiling then it's definitely knackered so get a new one and see if that sorts the problem.

This is why I am confussed.

I have had a HG go beofre, and know the signs. I have no oil / water mix though, like mayo in water . oil systems.

The water pressure is not rediculose as you would expect if the HG was gone.

I have changed the thermostat and rad cap

I cant see any signhs of steam at any point coming from the front / back of the car, even when the temp does atart to creep up.

The only thing I can see (well hear), which I just heared today is.

If i drive, then stop and wait in the car after the engine has stopped i can hear a high pitched hissing noice, like air sqeezing into somewhere through water, coming from behind the centre of the dash :ffs: !

Heater Matrix ?

It does sound strange.

Do you have to keep adding coolant? Because if you're adding coolant and can't see it coming out somewhere then it must be an internal problem e.g. HG or perhaps a cracked cylinder.

Not all HG problems are the same - it could be gone in a way that allows the engine to suck water in on the induction stroke, but if there's no path between the oil and the water then you won't get the mayo. That said, such problems do tend to quickly turn into full blown HG situation very quickly.

If you're not having to add coolant then it isn't any of the above - must then be either a n air lock or a blockage; if the latter you've eliminated the thermostat, so I guess it's most likely to be radiator matrix or else the water pump.

That could well be the heater matrix - from what you say it sounds like it has a leak somewhere along - dont know where these are on the mk2 - but i would try that and check it out :)

Yeah, alwys topping up water / coolant / antifreeze (as its November)

Gonna have to get my whole dash Out I guess !, DAMNED IT.

oh well, Ill keep you posted lads

Cheers

boundsw,

Yes, it could be the heater matrix, but if that's leaking the water must be going somewhere. I would try to find out where it's going if it's the matrix. If the matrix isn't actually leaking, I don't think that's the problem. A blocked heater matrix shouldn't cause an overheating problem.

Must admit the hissing noise does sound like a clue. Is that happening when you're stationery? I ask because my power steering makes a kind of hiss sometimes when car's just been started and I put it on full lock to move off the drive.

Tony

the heater matrix will leak into the footwells ..

I went through 11 liters of water in 15 miles when mine went ..

No wet foot wells, not even damp

not really an overheating problem, so much as a water loss one, causing over heating ! ;)

I get the same hissing noice well i full lock of my drive straight from start (power stearing !) its not that, similar but souds like its doing it through water ? Also, I dont ever hear it until i stop and turn the engine off (maybe because my exhaust is silly loud though :D )

If its the heater matrix, I dont think its as bad as his went ! I wouldnt even get to work !

this is really anoying, i just really cant see where its going.

Prob gonna have to get it jecked up and have a good look underneath !

Pipes from hell are ringing in my ear ! :wacko: