Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Oil Sludge

swilson

I just returned from my local Toyota dealer. They had to replace my 2003 Rav 4 engine--they said due to neglect--oil sludge built up and damaged the engine beyond repair. It cost me $5700. I now see that many Toyotas have had this problem in earlier model years. Any advice on how Toyota can help me with this and maybe cover some of the cost?

I well looked after engine will not have sludge in it....

All I can suggest is;

1, Buy cars that have been looked after

2, regular oil changes

3, don;t believe everything that muppet toyota dealerships tell you!!!!

Why exactly did it need a new engine??????

Even on the oil that it had in it from the factory, I can't see two years worth of sludge killing a car!!! My dad has has his oil changed about three times in 9 years of owning his S class!

I just returned from my local Toyota dealer. They had to replace my 2003 Rav 4 engine--they said due to neglect--oil sludge built up and damaged the engine beyond repair. It cost me $5700. I now see that many Toyotas have had this problem in earlier model years. Any advice on how Toyota can help me with this and maybe cover some of the cost?

To add to this--the car is mine--I bought it new in 2002. I cared for it with regular oil changes...but when the check engine light came on--I took it in and they said I needed a new engine. I paid 5700 for it--and then did a lot of research only to find a lot of toyota owners have had to replace their engines due to the oil sludge problem. It was not neglect--but Toyota won't accept responsibility. It seems like a bit of a cover up. Has anyone else had this problem?

I well looked after engine will not have sludge in it....

All I can suggest is;

1, Buy cars that have been looked after

2, regular oil changes

3, don;t believe everything that muppet toyota dealerships tell you!!!!

Why exactly did it need a new engine??????

Even on the oil that it had in it from the factory, I can't see two years worth of sludge killing a car!!! My dad has has his oil changed about three times in 9 years of owning his S class!

I have never heard so much crap in all my life!!! I'd kick upa fuss!!!

Was it serviced by Toyota since new????

If your car was still moving, and the engine wasn't squealing like a pig, then I can't think of any reason why the engine would need replacing? :huh:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links