Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aceleration Problem

clairekreetzer

I bought a 1995 celica about 6 weeks ago. For the last week or so I seem to be having an aceleration problem. This problem only seems to occur everso often - but is becoming more frequent. It feels like the aceleration gets stuck. For example say if i put the car in 2nd gear no matter how far I put my foot down on the acelerator it will not go past 20mph, I can hear the engine straining - then all of a sudden it seems to get unstuck or unblocked and the car will jolt forward.

I also seem to have a problem with the revs on my car. When I let the car tick over or say I am at traffic lights the car seems to lose revs and will judder.

Hopefully someone will be able to help and shed some light on my probelms.

It could be a multitude of things based on your symptoms. First check would be ignition components (HT leads, spark plugs, Dizzy cap, rotor arm, coil or ignitor).

3ft by 2 ft :lol: :P

i'd start with the dizzy cap and clean up the plugs if they are fouled possibly replace but they most likely are platinum tipped and quite expensive, you could try Iridium plugs which arn't so expensive. ,if still miss behaving , try a new rotor .all of which should be inspected by someone in the know .as they may well be ok and you spend money needlessly.

Sounds like ignition electrics as stated above,

try taking it somewhere really dark (pitch black) leave it running and look under the bonnet you will most likely see some sparks jumping about, get someone to rev it and you should see even more sparks.

Then it's just the job of fixing it! The sparks normally jump across at weak points but sometimes they weak points aren't the cause of the problem. I would try leads first as it's a 10 year old car and the shielding wears out on them, for a temporary fix you can spray them with a sealer (something like Holts damp start) but it won't fix it for long.

Your problem will probably get much worse as winter comes so it's worth fixing now

i'd start with the dizzy cap  and clean up the plugs if they are fouled possibly replace but they most likely are platinum tipped and quite expensive, you could try iridium plugs which arn't so expensive. ,if still miss behaving , try a new rotor .all of which should be inspected by someone in the know .as they may well be ok and you spend money needlessly.

Hes got it spot on m8. I had exactly the same problem as you. I had my plugs changed new distrib and rotor...doesnt cost much either and it stopped the problem. :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links