Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gunky Stuff

Steve

Hi folks

Need some advice as its been ages since i have been car hunting

Looking around for a car for my old dear as someone wrote hers off last week.

Spotted a J reg Polo GT Coupe (not toyota i know).. really good nick throughout.

I checked over the engine and that looked cool etc, but when i looked under the oil cap it has the oily creamy substance.

On starting the car had no smoke at all.. and was quite clean upon revving.. although i noticed a bit of water coming out of the exhaust when the engined revved up. I would say about 2 egg cup full of water.

So the question is... Do you think the creamy oil on the oil cap is just condensation as well as the water in the exhaust?

The car has been sitting around for a few weeks and the previous owner who owned the car for 10 years was an old bloke.

This is the only thing holding me back at the mo.

Also how much is an AA report these days?

Guest rev3turbo

I would dare say by it being owned by an old guy, it's likely to be condensation, due to lack of use for the past 10 years, as long as the dipstick is clear of cream, and header tank is clear of oil it should be ok, but hard to be 100% without seeing it.

HTH

Mo.

I will go and have a whiff of the header tank tommorow...

car is a J plate with 78K on the clock

yeah but for the oil to emulsify, the water needs to mix with the oil, condensation wouldn't do that, like mo said, check the dip stick maybe crack off the sump plucg see if any water seeps out??

checked dipstick and that seems ok...

If it runs fine, doesn;t seen to use up coolant, you can;t hear and gurgling noises from the cooling system, and the top rad hose is not mega mega presurised I'd say its condensation... some cars let moisture in through the crank breather system!

Deffo condensation :thumbsup:

The engine breather is probably blocked, i'm not sure if it's like the old fiesta engines, when that had the same problem you could make a milkshake from the emulsified oil in the rocker.

As far as water out of the exhaust, all cars have that (an engine can create a gallon of water for every gallon of fuel burned), you can see water running out of the exhausts of even new cars. The usual symptoms of cracked blocks, heads or blown gaskets is the water system pressurising, other signs can be the heater blowing cold air all the time.

Take it for a test drive and get a compression check done.. if it turns out its just condensation get an oil and filter change with an engine flush at the same time.

Not sure if it was a common problem or not, but check it for back presure too.. i had one with this problem, and i know of a few others that did too.. can't remember how or if it got sorted though. But, all in all, the ittle Polo is a cracking wee car :thumbsip:

VW's had a fault with the rocker cover, They have a metal filter inside them, which gets :censor: with age this causes the crap on the filler cap, only way to stop it is to take it off & clean it. The way I do it is to burn it off (put petrol on it and B) )

Nothing to worry about the engine last longer then ours :crybaby: Ask him the last time he give it a run down the motor way, bet he says along time ago!!

Hope this helps Paul..

It could be a blocked crank case ventilation system. The problem is one that affects those old engines. If you have satisfied yourself the oil and water are not mixing then look at the whole oil breathing system normally called crank case ventilation.

There's a good chance it may not have had oil changes ragularly and the breather system chokes up creating the cream stuff. I did an old boy's fiesta last week and had to spend ages cleaning the gunk out of his engine. The head gasket is not away and the car runs fine and dosen't use water.

I used to service one of those for a chap and his was running well at 147k miles

yeah condensation id say, mates missus old fiesta was like that and ran fine, and so was my uncles old e30 316 but they both really slow never changing gear above 3k

yep condensation

When i first got the red supra iot had gunk under the rad cap, thought it was headgasket but car had been sitting for a few weeks. Cleaned it out with my finger - never saw it again :thumbsup: