Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting An Aftermarket Cd Player In A Yaris

VTRick

I've had alot of People PM me asking how to do this. so here it is.

right, heres the thing in whole.

firstly, pull off the knobs for the heater vents. on the first and third you will see 2 screws behind them. unscrew them. gently pull the bottom and it will pop up, the pull it out. you might have to wiggle it about a bit at the top because behind the screen there are 2 hook things holding it in. undo the wiring looms at the back (there colour coded so putting them back isnt hard). them remove the top section of the dash.

now for the bottom.

once you have removed the top section you are now presented with some white framework with some hoses going into it. there are 2 clips at either side, just unclip it and move it out the way. dont disconect these hoses. just lift it out the way. now you should be able to see the top of the CD player. good for you. you should also be able to see the 2 screws holding it in (if you cant there at the back left and right). undo these. now. pull out the ash tray. and look in the hole it leaves. 2 more screws for you to get. undo these and then give it a sharp pull. it will pop off. undo the loom on the back of the CD player and get rid of that bit.

well done you've now got a gaping hole in your dash board!

now, take the buttom section completely out. and you wil have the plastic front, a CD/tape player, a metal frame and a black slot thing. undo the metal frame from the plastic front.

unscrew one side of the CD/tape player from the frame along with the black slot. throw the black slot out the window, you dont need it anymore. now. take your new shiney aftermarket CD player and place it underneath the old one.(you have to keep the old CD player in even though you cant use it.) it should sit really tight into the frame with some little holes and pointey bits.

put the othe side of the frame on and it should be a really rigid fit. screw it all back together again. ]

and for the people who still dont understand...

THE NEW CD PLAYER GOES IN FROM THE BACK, NOT THE FRONT, THE BACK. IT WONT FIT IN THE HOLE FROM THE FRONT

dont put it back in yet. you need to sort out the wiring in the car... you need a part called a PX687 (ISO Adaptor), you can get it Here its only a tenner. plug this into the wiring loom from the old CD player. dont try and plug it into heater ones. once this is in. plug it into the head unit along with your RCAs and remotes and whatever else you have. and stick it back in. screw it all up tight and test to see if it works before you put the top part of the dash in. you wont be able to control it from the old Player buttons, even though they are still there. you also wont be able to use it in conjunction with the digital display. so the CD/Tape button and the AM/FM button WONT WORK. only the trip one. you can only control the cd player from the actual head unit itself. once your sure it all works. put the top part of the dash back together. make sure you put all the wires back in the correct place. and make sure they "click" in to get a good connection. put it all back together again. stick in a cd, and cruise!

one more thing. if you have a perticularly powerful head unit that needs a live feed and ground... behind the top part of the dash is a large metal strut. you cant miss it. its about 3 inches thick. it runs along the top of the dash and the dash is actually bolted onto it in the middle. this is a really strong earth point and is only about 10 inches from the HU. easy peasey.

hope this has helped you get a new CD player into your yaris!

if theres any bits your still stuck on, PM me.

ok i now have a problem:

removed all the dash, unplugged the raio and tape deck etc

took the black cash box out (where the new cd player will go)

1) the head unit wil not fit into that hole.

2) after putting everything back together, there is now no display on the small screen, and the radio will not turn on.

I am working under a time limit, and if anyone discovers that I have broken the whole thing i'm in trouble, so any one who might know why the radio will not come on at all now, please step forward and help me

sam

could it be that I forgot to plug in a power cable to the tape player? :blink:

I'm fairly sure i didn't miss out any cables though when putting it back together

ok this is getting seriously worse now, i just took the dash off again to check the wiring, it was all in place...

now its been put back together the A/C light, or A/C its self, no long works...

im getting very worried now so please help me.

check your fuses mate. you might have crossed some wires or accidentally tapped a wire onto an earth point and popped your fuse.

fuse box is under the bonnet pop

yeh i checked the fuse box the other day and found i blew the ACC fuse, is all fine now

thanks anyway m8

heres a pic of how the HU wil fit after its done,

CD%20player.JPG

• 6 months later...

Few months ago my factory FM/Tape unit died because of a short circuit in one of the Speakers. I had it pulled out and installed a ne head unit (pioneer with cd) in the aditional hole. Because the controls of the factory unit have been taken out now I have holes in their place. Do you have any idea what I should do with those?

Hi

I have followed the istructions and have fitted in the cd player....

However, there is a problem with the sound. When i put the radio on no sound comes, I have put the ariel cable into the new cd player! When I put a cd in there is a bit of crackerly sound coming from only the front left speaker, its very loud even though the sound is on minimum. I can make a few words from the cd i put in, but its mostly crackels...

From the back of my old tape player i have connected the smallest white and the blue connectors. But the big white connecter (on the far right) has not been connected to the ISO loom adaptor. Is that ok?

Does anyone know y there is a problem with the radio and the sound? is it something to do with the earth?

I hope sumone can help!

try pushing the aerial in further, i know mines tight to get into my alpine setup. There is the 2 which go into the wiring loom and another one which goes back on the riht of the old unit if i remember

No sure about the interference though, could be a dodgy lead or connection?/??

Mat

I pushed the ariel plug in but it still doesnt work! it doesnt seem as though it is picking up radio channnels either.

The cd player is still making crackerling noises and occasionaly an odd word from the cd im playing! :help:

The stereo im trying to fit in is:

Sony CDXL480X, which is 4x45w

And I dont wanna install any new speaker, just use the standard ones. Is that possible?

Also, on the back of the old radio there are three connections but only 2 connect to the ISO loom adapter that I bought....what do I do with the third one? where does it go? could that be the Speakers?

Cheers

I have a yaris with a built in cd player. Do you think I would I be able to fit a sony minidisc player in the place where the usual controls are and use this to control the cd player? (The sony md player has a cd changer controller built in.)

sai - sounds like ya have a problem with the headunit itself, the third plug is for the connection to the screen on top of the dash which becomes redundant

nick - youll will need to extensively modify the dash board and the sony unit will not be able to interface with the OE CD player :(

:thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I've just added a JVC KD-SH55R to my Yaris (to replace the tape player) and it works fine. The instructions in the workshop are clear and it really isn't a difficult job.

However...... I have a problem. My LCD display (with the temperature, fuel consumption figures etc.) is ALWAYS ON (yes, even when I remove the key and lock the car). Putting all the audio connectors back into the tape player makes it turn off when the ignition key is removed.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance!

Darren.

• 3 weeks later...

sai .................. duno if you solved you're problem with you're headunit or not or not but i had the same problem with the crackling noise when i fitted mine it turned out the screws i used to hold the headunit in place were too long they need to be exactly 8mm or less otherwise they touch the circuit boards inside and cause problems........... it worked for me anyway........... let me no how u got on

ken

• 1 month later...

Hey i followed ur instructions , I'm tryin to fit a Sony CDX MX800 , there came a connector with it where one end fits into the back of the cd player and where the other two looms fit into the ISO connector which i bought separately. The ISO connector has the different colour wires coming out of this loom and just ends loosely. Are these wires supposed to be joined to the wires from the car, because the wire colours of the car are completely different to the colours of the ISO connector. I thought the looms of the car would fit into the ISO connector but they dont, the ISO connector only has one end where looms can be fitted into. What shall i do? are there different types of ISO connectors ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I've gone through most of the instructions for how to install a cdplayer, but have become unstook on the lower dash.

I've removed all four screws, given the lower dash a good yank, but its still stuck in.

To be more correct, the bottom of the lower dash comes out a little, but the top part of the lower dash refuses to move.

Ofcourse I tried increasing levels of force on it, but the sucker just won't come out.

Anyone else had such problems.

I have a 2003 T3 yaris.

Peter

i have a 2003 T3 yaris mate! - Get the bottom out like you said, lever it up and down and bit, keep pulling the bottom till it comes out really far, get hands on top, and really really YANK it! and i mean YANK it!!!!

OR get your fingers on top part of lower bit and push with your thumbs, you have to be strong like!

LOL, Dont be scared man, i was there half an hour and i didnt get it off until i went :ffs: and Proper yanked it off in anger!

Well after taking your advice, I used my thumbs to apply the pressure and succeeded.

Not without taking a lump out of my thumb though!

Anyway the reward, is now having an MP3 Jukebox in my car:)

hi, ive decided to fit my aftermarket headunit today, ive got all the parts the fascia the double din thing and the harness leads but theres just one thing stopping me, i cant seem to plug in the power lead in the back of my aftermarket headunit it fits to the standard one alright but just wont go into my alpine, any1 got any ideas,

thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a Yaris with built in CD and Tape player. Will I be able to put in my Pioneer radio/cd in the same way as you have stated. All of the topics seem to be related to a Yaris with just the tape player in it!