Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Need Some Advice

Bootygrabber

Have had a quick look thru the forums here and cant find another on this topic so here we go :)

Im looking at buying a Supra MKIV. As im 22, insurance on a TT is insane (£2.5k/year) However, a non turbo is afordable. Therefore, if i buy a N/A supra, will i be able to tubro it in future? I know it would be a single turbo conversion and have seen the kits about. Couple of my mates says they looked into doing this as well and said the engines in both the TT and the N/A are exactly they same apart from the turbo's. Also, the TT has traction control but the N/A is lacking it.

However, whats knocked me on this is that my other mate brought up compression ratios would be different on the two cars. Is this correct? or are my mates blethering?

Any info would be great :)

Cheers

Martin

However, a non turbo is afordable. 

Have you actually had a quote on an NA yet or are you just making an assumption ?

Therefore, if i buy a N/A supra, will i be able to tubro it in future?

Yes you can, but it's not cheap and it's not advised.

It's a big undertaking to try and retrofit the TT system to an NA (ECU, Head or engine, turbos, looms, fuel pump, Intercooler pipework, ideally transmission and diff ratios, etc) and it's usually done by fitting one of the single turbo kits you mention. But again these are not cheap you're looking at approx £3k for the kit, then the labour and some sort of ECU piggy back and setup.

If you really want one of these cars for out and out power then you have to start with the TT, it will save you so much money in the long run.

Couple of my mates says they looked into doing this as well and said the engines in both the TT and the N/A are exactly they same apart from the turbo's.

However, whats knocked me on this is that my other mate brought up compression ratios would be different on the two cars.  Is this correct? or are my mates blethering?

The engines are pretty much the same (the NA block doesn't have the oil squirters under the pistons IIRC) but the heads are different, hence the compression ratio.

8.5:1 on a TT

10.0:1 on an NA

Will take advice into consideration ;)

Seen kit for £2500 which whacks it upto 500bhp which is everything included (HKS kit)

And yes got quote for N/A Supra (£1069) ;)

Will take advice into consideration ;)

Seen kit for £2500 which whacks it upto 500bhp which is everything included (HKS kit)

And yes got quote for N/A Supra  (£1069) ;)

UK TT Should cost £800approx with Lancaster, n/a import £750 :thumbsup:

Didn't realise HKS did an NA-T kit, do you have a link ?

Well they do a Kit for the supra and going on my previous information then it was for that car.. u c? :) auction has ended tho :( lost link but i seen it....

Leeky, i take it Lancaster is an insurance company?

Don't buy a turbo kit for a TT expecting it to fit to an NA as the bolt pattern is different on the exhaust manifolds.

Leeky, i take it Lancaster is an insurance company?

:thumbsup: Insure the car as a classic (anything over 10yrs old can be a classic)

Might sound silly !

But i insure my supra under a traders policy im 28 and costs me £845 a year to drive any vehicle comperhensively ! up to the value of £7500!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links