Do Not Sell My Personal Information

51 Avensis D4d

jimbos

I have owned a 51 avensis d4d since new and recently through my job I took delivery of a Ford Mondao diesel estate (my wife now has the avensis) The reason I am posting is due to the fact that since driving the 2 I have noticed how heavy the clutch is on the avensis in comparison to the Ford and also how clunky the gears are(66000 miles clutch was changed at 38000) I have taken the car into my local dealer who says the clutch is o.k etc. Does anyone else find the clutch heavy and the gears clunky on this particular model I would be interested to know. It is amazing how we accept things until we drive something else.

Hi, I have a 2003 old shape Avensis D4D and the clutch movement is smooth and medium weight, and I find the gearbox extremely fluid and to be honest a joy to use, it just slips effortlessly into gear with no clunk or anything at all. I find when I drive anything else I find them lacking in the transmission department compared to mine.

I've drove a new shape d4d has a loan car when mine was in for service, i must admit the gearbox was very smooth. The clutch i found to be just the right weight has it gave you a very postive feel some are so light they give you no feel for what the clutch is doing. End of the day everybody is different i'd rather a heavy clutch to a light one and a gearbox that smooth but slighty notchy on engagment of gears, i like to feel what the car is doing.

I've drove a new shape d4d has a loan car when mine was in for service, i must admit the gearbox was very smooth. The clutch i found to be just the right weight has it gave you a very postive feel some are so light they give you no feel for what the clutch is doing. End of the day everybody is different i'd rather a heavy clutch to a light one and a gearbox that smooth but slighty notchy on engagment of gears, i like to feel what the car is doing.

I drive a 200 ltr d4d 2001 model. we have had the car for 18 months now and the clutch has been heavy very difficult to put into gear. I am now having my clutch replaced. The car has only done 45000 miles.

I own a 2004 made 2.0l D-4D Avensis. Indeed the clutch pedal is quite heavy stuff, compared to all other cars I drove, but I got used to it. Change of gears though goes very smoothly - a pleasant sensation.

Hi There

I also own a 2002 D4D Diesel and have complained to my dealer most services about the clutch action. Its not that heavy (try a Citroen diesel !), but it never goes easily into gear, especially changing at 1700 - 2000 revs. Things are slightly better at 3000 revs, but it makes driving a bit tiring. I'm sure its just a matter of adjustment, but blowed if I know how to

Let us know how you get on

Cheers

Buzlby

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone....I have done tons of clutches on D4d's it's not uncommon to replace at 30k...the engine has so much torque that is honestly does need to be driven a certain way....they have a 2 piece flywheel and if the clutch does wear out chances are the flywheel will too....they have a rubber inner to absorb vibration! I know this all sounds stupid but i'm only telling what i've experianced!

Another possibilty of heavy clutch op is the clutch master cylinder, get that checked too....hope this helps......

Chris

• 1 month later...
Hey everyone....I have done tons of clutches on D4d's it's not uncommon to replace at 30k...the engine has so much torque that is honestly does need to be driven a certain way....they have a 2 piece flywheel and if the clutch does wear out chances are the flywheel will too....they have a rubber inner to absorb vibration! I know this all sounds stupid but i'm only telling what i've experianced!

Another possibilty of heavy clutch op is the clutch master cylinder, get that checked too....hope this helps......

Chris

Hi Chris. What do you mean by "the engine has so much torque that is honestly does need to be driven a certain way"?

Tom

Hi

I own a D4D 2001 Avensis and a 2002 Mondeo TDCI 2.0.

I have only just got the Avensis but noticed straight away the

clutch was much lighter on the Avensis compaired to the heavy clutch on the Mondeo

Hope this helps

Hi Chris. What do you mean by "the engine has so much torque that is honestly does need to be driven a certain way"?

Tom

he means that due to the torque, if inexperienced driver drives the car with holding clutch for too long, it will wear it off. Same as with pretty much every other diesel.