Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Q For Turbo Ppl

urotsukidoji_badassdemon

Hi boy and girls, here we are again, another question for those technically minded in the know how of turbo engines and accesories to make them go faster, sound cool and put smiles on our faces. Today's question is, How DOES one make a BOV/dump valve more audible?

This is what is on the car at the mo:

HKS big green mushroom air filter

HKS EVC-4 Electronic boost controller

Forge motorsport twin port dump valve

The car is running 1.1 BAR max boost at the mo, but I want the dump valve to be more audible. It dumps at 4k rpm, but sounds,.... slightly muted, unless you open the bonnet of course, but even then, it isn't THAT loud tho.

someone done this on the puntosports forum, I'll see if i can find out what he did to make the dump valve louder

Oh dear.................

P.S. I think you'll find it dumps when you close the throttle as boost... not 4K rpm ;)

found it,

he has a modified collins dump valve

quote of what he said

one of the coils, the top one to be exact has been cut off, dumps louder and lower in the rev range

Hmm, well, if cutting one of the spring makes the dump lower in the revs, would that affect the preformance of the engine then? Cos it's dumping so early, it isn't getting up to proper pressure. AM I correct in saying that?

This is the dump valve I've got.

DSCF0051.jpg

Hmm, well, if cutting one of the spring makes the dump lower in the revs, would that affect the preformance of the engine then? Cos it's dumping so early, it isn't getting up to proper pressure. AM I correct in saying that?

A dump valve works when you back off the throttle, most usually when you change gear. It lets all the excess gasses bleed out of the turbo, to stop them flowing back in and trying to spin it backwards, causing it to stall and shatter the blades.

It's got nothing to do with the amount of revs you're at.

Hmm, ok, the car is an AUTO. It DOES dump, however it sort of sounds like someone snoring when it does when you drive. It only does the ptsssh sound when giving it some, so it actually gets up to 4k rpm. Thats why I mentioned it does it at those revs. Below that, it 'snores'.

A dump valve works when you back off the throttle, most usually when you change gear. It lets all the excess gasses bleed out of the turbo, to stop them flowing back in and trying to spin it backwards, causing it to stall and shatter the blades.

It's got nothing to do with the amount of revs you're at.

Yup... but no need to even mention gear changing. It's only when you back off throttle when the vacuum opens the valve to release the air. The rate of the spring will determine the degree of vacuum required to open the valve. Sequential valves operate at low and high.

found it,

he has a modified collins dump valve

quote of what he said

one of the coils, the top one to be exact has been cut off, dumps louder and lower in the rev range

no theres a bodge and a half :o

only way really is to expose it more, bang a hole through the bonnet and boke it through