Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! Just Bought A Paseo!

Danielm

I have just bought a Paseo ST & know virtually nothing about the car. In fact I hadn't even heard of them until I saw the car yesterday.

Any info anyone can give me on the car would be a great help.

wahey, another paseo. ok, basically is a coupe version of the toyota tercel / toyota starlet, and is based on the same platform as both. it has a 1.5 L 5efe (engine code) dual overhead cam (not twin cam, as they are interconnected via a geared vernier pulley linking the two camshafts) engine, with 93bhp and i think 96lb/ft of torque. This is the 2nd generation paseo (1st generation wasnt sold in the uk) which has the torquier and less top end powerful engine. As underwhelming as the power figures seem, it is a sprightly car due to its very low weight (960kg for the ST, 1015kg for the SI), and general performance figures go as follows:

0-60 - 11.2secs

top speed - 113mph

qtr mile - 17.2 secs

50-70 in top gear - 12.0secs

And as such, you got the ST, which is the lower spec model, which does without the ABS, Alloy wheels, rear spoiler and cd player of the SI.

Modification wise, not a lot to do with the 5efe motor, though the jdm (japanese) version of the paseo, called the cynos, came with a 4efe (1.3 L 75hp) or 5efhe (1.5 L 115hp) engine - which is a worked up version of the engine in our cars, with better internals, new dual runner intake manifold, higher flowing head / exhaust manifold / cams etc...

dual overhead cam (not twin cam, as they are interconnected via a geared vernier pulley linking the two camshafts)

i totally agree with what youve said there riko, but even toyota class them as twin cam engines!! my starlet has a toyota sticker on the rear quarter saying 'twin cam'

and i have seen it on about 5 other starlets since!!

Rich.

hehe, well they lieeeeeeee

basically, daniel, if you're getting confused, it just means that you can't adjust the timing individually for both camshafts, any change change on one camshaft will be repeated on the other camshaft. while this can be fine tuned to actually create a good gain, its very fiddly and compromised...so yeah...im just gonna get some lighter vernier pulleys made and balanced for any gains

They are twin cam engines. Take the lid off and there are two cams. Toyota call them twin cam engines.

With a twin cam engine, the relationship between the inlet and exhaust cam can be tweaked.

On a normal engine where both cams are driven by the belts on seperate pulleys you can buy adjustable pulleys which allow minute adjustments, but on the E series arrangement this is harder as there is one pulley and the two cams are geared together. You can adjust them + or - 1 tooth though.

However, they are still twin cam engines.

I don't think as standard they have any vernier timing arrangement. I haven't taken a camshaft to bits to find out though. Certainly they don't at the pulley end.

I take issue on the 115bhp 5E-FHE as well. Toyota never quoted any more than 110ps (that is 108bhp) running in laboratory conditions with high octane fuel. The ones with the ACIS manifold has a higher torque figure, but the same peak power figure. Show me something from Toyota that says 115ps or bhp and I'll change this statement.

Well maybe I'm wrong, but its so easy to put things on the internet that becomes accepted as the truth.

Firstly welcome to the site :thumbsup:

If you want any specific info feel free to ask and someone's bound to be able to help, if you do intend modifying the car in any way I would suggest going for handling and braking upgrades first before even thinking about engine upgrades, if you put the right parts on, the car will be faster from a to b anyway :yes:

welcome.  whatever you do, do NOT try to get that car to go fast... otherwise, enjoy it.

Lookout Dev's on an anti speed one again :unsure::lol:

You can make them fast if you spend the right money :rolleyes:

welcome.  whatever you do, do NOT try to get that car to go fast... otherwise, enjoy it.

Lookout Dev's on an anti speed one again :unsure::lol:

it's a rampage, baby!!! yeah, you can get 'em quick, but don't anticipate spending a little bit of money to do so

as standard nah they're not, but they're a lot faster than any car thats under 1.5 Liter upto other 1.5 Liters, cause its lighter than them...

according to japanese car catalogue the older gen paseo was 115ps with the newer being 110ps. I have been looking as i think it would make an ideal engine for a starlet. Hell, with the 1.3 cambelt cover, and a bit of drilling and riveting no one would know it was a 1.5 and not a 1.3 :D

Any reason for that comment? Should I becareful when I get my Paseo not to go fast for any particular reason or are you just anti-speeding?

Any reason for that comment? Should I becareful when I get my Paseo not to go fast for any particular reason or are you just anti-speeding?

:lol: don't worry about that mate - Dev's just being well.... Dev :P

what he's trying to say is that the paseo is not the most friendly car to mod.. the only way to get a lot of BHP is to do engine convertsons etc..

J

0-60 - 11.2secs

top speed - 113mph

qtr mile - 17.2 secs

This figure is a bit out mate as i've had a 0-60 in 10secs and a qtr mile in 17secs. This is on a stock lump and with all the extra weight of the ICE, camping bits and running 17's!

matt, im quoting official timed results...times with industry standard gps systems...i dont trust people's claims as they are unfounded...not tryna be harsh, but i dont get convinced by unbacked claims...

however, that's the official time quoted by toyota, ive seen 10.8s pop up a few times on car magazines, which again utilise industry standard gps timing systems...

Riko if your refering to my claims of the times then i have the print outs to prove the times!

I'll dig them out to scan and show you!

haha, its not fighting talk and to be fair i understand the fact of not believing unproven times but i wouldnt post sayinf it unless i had done it as i wouldnt know the times!

Factory 0-60 & 1/4 mile times.

1991 Toyota Paseo 10.0 17.3

1992 Toyota Paseo 10.3 17.6

1993 Toyota Paseo 10.1 17.8

1996 Toyota Paseo 9.5 17.0

J

Factory 0-60 & 1/4 mile times.

1996  Toyota Paseo                          9.5            17.0

J

The '96 seo IE Mine has less bhp than a gen 1, yet has a quicker 0-60.

Is there a big weight difference of something?

more torque

i dunno, ive seen those times too, but ive seen 10.2, 10.8 and 11.2 secs as the gen 2 0-60 time, which do you trust?