Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Cd Player Problem

Redwine

Hi

The standard CD player in my 2002 Avensis won't play CD's anymore. It displays the ERR1 code, which according to the manual is a dirty CD. My CD's are super clean and undamaged, the car isnt dusty and I dont smoke. Could it be the lens that needs cleaning and has anyone else had the problem. I would appreciate any advice.

I'm having exactly the same problem in my 2002 Avensis, though it seems to be better when it's warm. It also seems to prefer certain disks over others, unfortunately for me it like's the kid's nursery rhyme ones but refuses to play my music cd's (is there a "taste chip" built in ???).

I've tried cleaning the lens but it took a lot of goes before it would even accept the lens cleaning disk, and it made no difference.

Any advice would be appreciated.

lazer is shot afraid.

lazer is shot afraid.

I really hope that isnt the case. The manual suggests if there was an internal problem it would be an ERR3 or ERR4 code in the display. It does play CD's when it feels like it. My hope is cheap lens cleaners are rubbish. I found some info which recommends the Allsop Carbon edge lens cleaner, and its possible that the more expensive cleaners will solve it. The one I used cost £2.00 with one brush, while the Allsop has eight brushes. Anyway its worth a go.

I'm having exactly the same problem in my 2002 Avensis, though it seems to be better when it's warm. It also seems to prefer certain disks over others, unfortunately for me it like's the kid's nursery rhyme ones but refuses to play my music cd's (is there a "taste chip" built in ???).

I've tried cleaning the lens but it took a lot of goes before it would even accept the lens cleaning disk, and it made no difference.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Was yours a cheap lens cleaner tsi? Because your problem is identical to mine.

I don't know if it was cheap or not as the other half got it when out shopping. That said she did but it from Tesco's ! It's got half a dozen brushes on it but I've yet to get the player to accept it.

I'll give the dealer a ring today and see if it's a known problem.

These common lense cleaner kits you can buy consisting of a CD that does the cleaning aren't that good really.

As daft as it sounds, the best way to clean your lense is to take the disk changer apart and clean it with a solution and a cotton bud.

Compact disk lasers are generally quite reliable, so would discount the fact that it's knackered based on this. I agree, the laser may be shot, but far more likely is that the focus lense is dirty (as discussed) or that it is out of focus which is another common fault as they begin to age.

A good repair centre should be able to do this, as it is generally just a case of adjusting it. However, I must warn that this is not always possible!

Does anyone know how to remove the CD player? Does it just pop out the front or is it a lot of pain and hassle?  :huh:

All you have to do is to lever the fascia surround away from the dash and the screws for the stereo can be got at very easily.

I know this cause I've got same problem with my stereo (Sony double din ) and I've tried the direct laser clean and it didn't help.

Does anyone know how to remove the CD player? Does it just pop out the front or is it a lot of pain and hassle?  :huh:

All you have to do is to lever the fascia surround away from the dash and the screws for the stereo can be got at very easily.

I know this cause I've got same problem with my stereo (Sony double din ) and I've tried the direct laser clean and it didn't help.

Thanks for the info, it sounds pathetic but I am really nervous about applying pressure to plastic dashboard components, in my last car I gouged the dash with a screwdriver and snapped off a plastic bit and the dash rattled after that. If you use a screwdriver will it damage the dash or is it inevitable. Basically what part of the surround do I prise off first. :unsure:

put a thin sponge or foam pad between dash and screwdriver. ;)

put a thin sponge or foam pad between dash and screwdriver. ;)

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a go, but it seems very tight in the dash. What fun! :D

If yours is the Sony unit like bfckarlos then it may be the lense out of focus, Sony CD units are notorious for this and normally take a small adjustment.

This also applies to Sony playstations etc too.

The dash facia is easy to pull out, grab the bottom edge (above the ashtray) and pull it so it comes out about 2" (that should uncli the bottom), then grasp the facia between the 2 top vents and do the same.... it should then literally come off ia ya hands, then you'll have to unscrew the unit (normally made easier) by unplugging the 2 white plugs at the top (for the rear de-mister and hazard lights).

The dash facia is easy to pull out, grab the bottom edge (above the ashtray) and pull it so it comes out about 2" (that should uncli the bottom), then grasp the facia between the 2 top vents and do the same.... it should then literally come off ia ya hands, then you'll have to unscrew the unit (normally made easier) by unplugging the 2 white plugs at the top (for the rear de-mister and hazard lights).

Thanks for taking the trouble to give me advice. I took it to my local dealer in the end because it was under warranty, and they fitted a new player for me in about 10 minutes, and to be honest made a brillliant job of it. I have no idea how they changed it without the slightest mark anywhere. So credit where credits due. Well done RRG Rochdale for providing me with an excellent service. I'm very impressed. :D

If your car is under warranty why attempt repairing yourself??

Use it & abuse it.........

:thumbsup:

If your car is under warranty why attempt repairing yourself??

Use it & abuse it.........

:thumbsup:

I know what you mean, but I just had some previous bad experiences where dealers had damaged the dashboard replacing stuff. In this case I had no need to worry. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I've not got CD sorted on mine yet, so I was wondering, as mine is the double din Sony and I don't want to replace with a new one that doesn't fit, will this one take a multi cd changer and work ok?

Cos I've seen one or two on eBay at good price. Would use Sony unit obviously.