Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Small Turbo And Camshafts

Fast-gold

orite guys and gal's does anyone know if i would you have to change internals for a turbo under 5 psi i have been told that with a toyota engine i wouldnt have to change anything major , and can u gt camshafts for the ts or someone else told me i could get mine sent away and bored out or something like that !! does any one no anything about this it would be much appreciated , cheers

i know the 1.0l runs the HKS turbo at about 0.4 bar boost. And you don't have to change internals on that. So i would imagine that you wouldn't have to change anything on it, but i can't be quoted on that

right the turbo sounds great :thumbsup: but changing the cams is just silly the vvt-i is so perfect that the power gains from changing them is not worth it, but yea if ya like stick a Tubby on :thumbsup: IMO with what ya have :drool::drool: just turbo it and leave it

EDIT

ross is spot on

yeah correct me if im wrong but your a little confused there buddy. I dont think any of your camshafts will be getting bored out as as far as im aware that is completely wrong.

Do you know basic engine layout? (not meant as an insult i genuinely want to know as otherwise my simple explanation may not make any sense!)

Cam shafts control the opening of spring loaded valves. You have an intake and an exhaust valve on each cylinder. Infact as the engine is a 16V and you have 4 cylinders, each cylinder has 2 inlet and 2 exhaust valves. The camshaft is basically a rod with Nobbles on so that when it turns these nobbles open and close the valves in sequence. They are run by a belt? (i think so anyway) between the crankshaft and camshaft to keep the timing right between crank and cam (correct me anyone if im wrong at all anywhere!) In your yaris you have a VVt-i system which stands for Variable Valve Timing (intelligence?). This is a complex camshaft system where there are in effect many camshafts that are used to vary the timing throughout the rev range (to my understanding) This gives good economy (and supposedly performance) throughout the rev range. Therefore to change this system is very complex for a VVt-i engine so your better off leaving the camshafts alone and instead investing on a vvt-i timing controller ("Power Enterprise CAMCON VVti Controller" is the only one i know of)

As Regards to boreing this is something completely different and not needed if you get a turbo (can still be done but i mean it isnt part of uprating the engine to run a safe boost level but more a means of getting more power.) A cylinder is where all the power is made in effect. Its width is called its "Bore" and its depth is called its "Stroke". To have an engined "bored out" is the process of having the cylinders widened as to make its displacement larger (i.e. to make your 1.5L into a 1.7L or something) The 1.5L engine is toyota using the 1.3L engine but increasing the stroke. The procedure of boreing is also a complex costly one which is a way of increasing performance by increasing displacement rather than forced induction such as a turbo!

Hope that helps! Sorry everyone for the long post but trying to help the guy out! If i'm wrong anywhere im only a 16 year old kid so be kind and please correct me! fastgold, if you need anymore help you can pm me or i can give you my msn addy or something!

P.s. cant be bothered to check the post for mistakes so if any of it still doesnt make sense tell me and i will explain!

Cheers,

Woody :thumbsup:

so technically i could get my 1.3 bored out to a 1.5 with no hassle? as all the parts could be got from a 1.5?

the early 1.3 and 1.5 blocks are identical, its just the rods determining the stroke of the pistons which then give the displacement

yeah not bored out to a 1.5, its the stroke to make it a 1.5 like i said :P So i guess so if the sump and the head are the same? I mean does the 1.5 not have any uprated head parts? Will it run the same vvti system and all that?

you also need to ask your self is it worth it turbong it?

what sort of performance are you expecting, ie bhp, 0-60, 1/4mile?

we have acuuratish ideas of these figures, its just you maybe pleasantly suprised or disapointed after you did it?

if i had endless amounts of money and time id do it :thumbsup:

Can you bore the 1.5 out any further? You do have to ask whether it would be worth it

If you really want to do it - you need to speak to a reputable company and ideally learn a little bit more about engines - im not getting at you - but how will others know what you want if you dont know?

and also it will stop you geting ripped off - if you know what they are talking about ;)

Can you bore the 1.5 out any further? You do have to ask whether it would be worth it

If you really want to do it - you need to speak to a reputable company and ideally learn a little bit more about engines - im not getting at you - but how will others know what you want if you dont know?

and also it will stop you geting ripped off - if you know what they are talking about ;)

thats very true you need to know what your talking about.

When i usually got to garage to get stuff done and find out about stuff so they cant rip me off "as much".

i remember going out with this lass, the garage charged her £70 to fit on 1 new tyre!!,even though the tyre cost only £40.

But she was blonde, dumb and fit, god bless her (ah memories...), anyways! i raged on them and got some money back

i think there enough meat in the block to take it upto 1.7, but youll need custom machined pistons and obviously much more efficient cooling

It'd be nice to see it done if you can take it to 1.7- has anybody done it ? - but with the amount its gonna cost you to get custom internals for it id think twice unless your very well off

T x

i may need to find out more about the spec of both engines then, if the only thing different is the rods? got a friend who builds engines, could be interesting!!!!!