Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clipping Sound In Avensis 2001 Cdx

HitenV

I recently brought a 2001 Avensis 2.0 CDX. Every time I start the car and proceed to drive, after about 5mph I hear a clipping type sound - and also feel a slight vibration on the clutch pedal.

Dealer informs me the ABS does a self diagnostic every time you start the car.

I have driven a 2002 1.8 GS and cannot hear this sound.

Is this true and has anyone experienced this?

Thanks,

H

They are pulling your plonker mate! Yes it does do a self diagnostic check, but you should not hear or feel anything.

I also have an 2001 Avensis with ABS/EBD & mine does not make a sound.

Does your ABS light come on at any time ( other than when ignition is on )?

If you feel vibration through the clutch pedal then it is NOTHING to do with brakes! Are the 2 problems related?

You may have a stone in one of your tyres & possibly a faulty clutch ( High spot ).

:thumbsup:

After taking the car into them nearly 4 times, they are definately pulling something! :D

No ABS sound - its only when I start the car, and proceed to drive. As soon as I get to 5mpg, it feels as tho the ABS as "slightly" kicked in, hence the clipping sound. At the same time, I feel a slight vibration on the clutch pedal.

After this, no problem and no sound, even when I stop the car and pull off again. Its only when I turn off the engine and start again.

Think I'll have to take to a different dealer as the car is still under warrenty.....

Sorry - meant to say no ABS light..!!

From past experience, this is usually caused by faulty/contaminated ABS sensor in one of your hubs.

It engages the ABS inadvertantly due to corrupt signals from sensors. If dealers are unable to obtain a code ( they probably won't ) then insist they change sensors systematically until problem is resolved!

I am 99% confident this is your issue!

;)

I too have heard a clipping noise that sounds just after I start to pull away for the first time every time I start the engine. I have a 2002 Previa. One of the optional extras I have is reversing sensors, and it sounds to me like the noise comes from them, though I can't be absolutely sure. It sounds like half a chirrup. I have not noticed any drag or judder, but I'll look out for it. My gearbox is automatic, so it could be the engine management system hides any drag or judder. Have not been back to the dealer with it yet because although it is intruiging, it does not seem like a problem to me.

Nick

The CDX Model comes with Traction Control and VSC, mine also make's the noise and slight vibration, NOT a fault is perfectly normal, systems check and calibrate themself after first time start and move off. And you should be able to feel it its just letting you know its there to help out!!! ;)

Thanks for all your input :D

I've been told by another engineer it is the car doing a self check and is normal because this model comes with TC and VSC.

Cheers,

H