Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Pedal "hardness" Inconsistencies

CTS03

I am curious to know if I am the only one feeling some inconsistencies in the “resistance” to movement of the brake pedal of Corolla TS.

In particular, I have the impression that the pedal becomes softer after passing the lift (6200rpm) e.g. with 2nd gear and then change to 3rd gear (it needs to be pushed far low).

I am curious to know if I am the only one feeling some inconsistencies in the “resistance” to movement of the brake pedal of Corolla TS.

In particular, I have the impression that the pedal becomes softer after passing the lift (6200rpm) e.g. with 2nd gear and then change to 3rd gear (it needs to be pushed far low).

Not sure about inconsistencies but find the brakes on my 04 CTS very soft. Have had new disks and pads fitted under warrenty but didnt make a lot of differences.

Cant say I have noticed any difference after lift to before lift other than going a bit faster so requiring more brake power to stop and still feeling soft and requiring pumping.

trev

We've had a few customers pick up on this and really we cant pick point the exact problem :censor: ! One possible is that at higher revs the vac assistance is higher so therefore brake assistance is higher, but i must admit it is :censor: ing me off i cant find a sure way of fixin' this!!

Maybe try replacing your fluid if you're repeatadly braking hard maybe the fluid is working harder and losing its propities

Chris

I have similar symptom, in my 02 CTS, when sitting at traffic lights with foot on brake. The pedal moves down about half inch after idling for a bit. Not a problem since i'm no moving... But a bit disconcerting... Did think it was my imagination... Ave never noticed it in normal/abnormal driving :) .

A

I have similar symptom, in my 02 CTS, when sitting at traffic lights with foot on brake. The pedal moves down about half inch after idling for a bit. Not a problem since i'm no moving... But a bit disconcerting... Did think it was my imagination... Ave never noticed it in normal/abnormal driving  :) .

Hello,

I know this is quite a wierd first post for a forum, but I've noticed this as well. Also, it's not a T-sport, but a humble 1.6 (albeit with an auto box). It feels like after prolonged pressure on the brake pedal, the emergency braking part of the ABS/EBD circuitry kicks in to maximise the stopping power. It's not a problem, and I haven't noticed anything while moving.

Hope this helps,

David

I've noticed a difference when the Air Con is on but at no other time, and I must say the brakes are very very good on my TS... :thumbsup:

My mate is a mechanic in my local toyota garage and he mentioned something about brake assist sometimes giving an inconsistant feel...

Anytime the idle speed and load changes, I feel differences in pedal pressure in my (much older) 1.8... Same goes for nearly every petrol vehicle we have... It's most pronounced when the air conditioner kicks on and the idle speed is raised to compensate, then when it kicks off the pedal sinks a little bit. I've even noticed slight changes from just the radiator fan turning on and off, or turning lights on and off (defogger and taillights both cause the engine to idle up). The reason is there's slightly more available vacuum when the engine has less load and idles lower (my mum's LS400 does just 400 rpm in gear with the air conditioner off, 800 with it on).

The most usual pattern for my brake pedal behaviour is the following:

Very hard when moving with 2nd gear and ~4000 rpm but softens significantly after passing the lift and shifting to 3rd etc. This is very dangerous if for some reason you decide to accelerate between traffic lights, you pass the lift and then you have to stop at red traffic light. The memorized brake force delays your braking some time (except if you use to stop always with ABS), which means several meters! I do not know if somebody else has experienced this?

The hardness at low speed/gear seems to be enhanced after a cold start and this correlates to the higher idle.

However, in general I have felt non-negligible variations in brake pedal's free travel and hardness in periods from weeks to minutes.

The last days the pedal is extremely hard, at least at low speed. There is almost no free travel in some moments.

Chris Barnes, do you mean that this will "hurt" the brake liquid?

I understand that engine rpm could affect brake assistance. However, ECU is supposed to control this and should keep it stable? Am I wrong?

I have similar symptom, in my 02 CTS, when sitting at traffic lights with foot on brake. The pedal moves down about half inch after idling for a bit. Not a problem since i'm no moving... But a bit disconcerting... Did think it was my imagination... Ave never noticed it in normal/abnormal driving  :) .

A

Yep, same here! Always wondered why that happened...

Crikey you guys must brake a lot, all i've noticed is when the accelerator goes down, it usually stays that way :D

In all seriousness I haven't noticed this at all.