Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vvti Engine High Oil Consumption

IKR

Does the excessive oil consumption issue definitely affect post 2002 vvti engines as well? I have a 2003 1.8 which has recently started to use a bit of oil. The Service Manager said that this should not affect my engine only those up to 2002, but they are doing a consumption test anyway.

Will a 2003 model be affected to the same degree as the older engines? I find it strange (and unacceptable) that knowing the blocks were dodgy Toyota still fitted similar in the mk2 !!

Bearing in mind my car was only serviced about 1500 miles ago the oil seems already discloured - I would expect it to be far cleaner looking. Are there any other symptoms to look out for such as poor performance or noisy engine?

I have about 9 months to run on my extended warrenty but nevertheless expecting a battle with the dealer to get it resolved. I really don't want to have to sell the car but I cannot live with the cost and inconvenience of continual oil top ups.

Does the excessive oil consumption issue definitely affect post 2002 vvti engines as well? I have a 2003 1.8 which has recently started to use a bit of oil. The Service Manager said that this should not affect my engine only those up to 2002, but they are doing a consumption test anyway.

Will a 2003 model be affected to the same degree as the older engines? I find it strange (and unacceptable) that knowing the blocks were dodgy Toyota still fitted similar in the mk2 !!

Well, according to a TSB Toyota has on this oil burning issues, Avensis models up to july 2005 may be affected.

• 2 weeks later...

Got me motor back after a week in Mr T's care. They replaced the block, and now it drives like a Cuban jalopy :angry: .

It shudders when pulling away in first gear, nearly had an accident as a result, not to mention the awful burning smell in the engine which is coming through to the cabin.

I'm really dissapointed. I bought this car to last but I'm seriously thinking of cutting my losses.

I've reported this back to the dealer but they haven't got back to me yet. I feel insulted that they gave me the car back in this condition. They've had it a week and clearly couldn't be bothered to test drive it.

...and to top it all they applied some sickly bubblegum scenty vomit inducing dashboard shine which makes the car smell like a funfair!!!! :censor:

• 2 years later...

Hi Ian,

Are you still on this forum? I'm trying to find out when Toyota knew about this problem.

Many thanks,

John

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links