Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ho To Fit New Headunit Without Losing Lcd Mpg Disp

leonlikestrees

Hi there,

I am looking at a new (old!) car, and am considering an '02 Corolla T-Spirit.

I have a headunit that I'd like to swap over, but I noticed that the LCD screen on the inbuilt stereo had things like the MPG display and (I may be imagining this) the climate control temperature on it.

I guess I have two questions:

* What is actually on this display? (so I can decide if I'd be happy losing it)

* Is there a fascia kit I can get that would keep the display, but allow a different headunit to be fitted?

Thanks for your help people.

Leon

Good question....

Does fitting the Toyota DVD Full Screen head unit mean that you lose this display of MPG etc that the standard radio shows??

Good question....

Does fitting the Toyota DVD Full Screen head unit mean that you lose this display of MPG etc that the standard radio shows??

i have a toyota full screen head unit sat nav in an 03 CTS. no trip/mpg info on it. I wonder why? well just letting you know......

I guess I have two questions:

* What is actually on this display? (so I can decide if I'd be happy losing it)

Think it was Avg MPG, Trip MPG, few other things, but it eludes me at the mo.

Anyway, i never used it, and when it gave me an Avg MPG of some 74MPG i questioned why/how :lol:

Do what i did, just drop it :thumbsup:

* Is there a fascia kit I can get that would keep the display, but allow a different headunit to be fitted?

Yep there is... :thumbsup:

Link - Look for slot at top of facial

Link - Look for slot at bottom of facial

Thanks for the info, although I'm a bit confused looking at the pictures - I was thinking of a fascia with an LCD screen (or something) that would display all the trip computer stuff, but without it integrated into the stereo, and then a gap for a new headunit.

I was thinking of a fascia with an LCD screen (or something) that would display all the trip computer stuff, but without it integrated into the stereo, and then a gap for a new headunit.

No can do sorry, the trip computer is part of the audio H/U and once you remove that, you will lose that function.

But if your like me, you won't notice it's gone anyway :lol:

Well, thanks again for the info. I reckon it will be fine without the little LCD!

Having an MPG reading will only get the Wife trying to get me to drive more economically!

If I'm feeling really keen, I might try and work out the interface and see if it's possible to seperate the two...

If I'm feeling really keen, I might try and work out the interface and see if it's possible to seperate the two...

I wasn't sure how brave you were... but from the above it thot, well cant hurt, so...if you interested... i stuck a 1DIN unit in the ashtray bit......

not easy though... but workable

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm picking up my 2002 Corolla on friday, and I bought a fascia kit, but it's arrived with "2003 onwards" on the packet, and I just realized the lihnk above is for a 2003 corolla.

Looking at 2002/2003, the dash doesn't look any different. Anyone know if this is going to cause a problem?

I'm paying someone to fit it, but they don't source the parts themselves. I don't want to pay them twice because the fascia is wrong.

Ta!

Leon

I'm paying someone to fit it, but they don't source the parts themselves. I don't want to pay them twice because the fascia is wrong.

Leon

It should fit, can't see why not it can't fit in.

Are you just getting them to install the facial, or did you have something else in mind to be installed, as in new H/U and audio system?

It's very easy to install yourself, if you click on my signature, and look at the pics, they should speak for themselves.

Just out of interest, how much are you paying them to have it fitted?

£30 to get the new headunit fitted. That's all that's going in. It was a wedding present, plays MP3/WMA CD's and has an aux in, so should be quite nice.

It doesn't look to bad fitting it, but I read somewhere that it can be dangerous, because you canj set off the air bags quite easily.

Also, as I'm onl;y buying it on Friday, paying an extra £30 on £7K+ doesn't seem to bad!

Leon

£30 to get the new headunit fitted. That's all that's going in.

I take it your supplying all the things that is going in, as in facial adaptor, wiring harness and possible ariel adaptor???

It's very easy to install, and with a bit of thinking of what your going to do, you should be able to install it in yourself in about 30-45mins

It doesn't look to bad fitting it, but I read somewhere that it can be dangerous, because you canj set off the air bags quite easily.

:lol: set off the airbags for fitting in the H/U, i'm sorry, but the likely chance of that happening, if you should fit it into the airbag itself.

For where the H/U is going into to, it is nowhere near the airbags.

It's something that i managed to install into my car in about 15mins, and so far, i still have all my airbags where they are  :thumbsup:

This is where I read it:

http://www.mattgilbert.net/carstereoauxinput/

short version:

"I have a 2002 Toyota Corolla, so I know there is an airbag sensor just inside and to the right of the radio (it should be yellow). If you accidentally touch it or jiggle it, there is a VERY high chance the airbags will deploy likely killing you if your face is right there or at least breaking your arm."

Having said that, i think I'll have a go anyway, as it goes onto to tell you how to deactivate them first to save it happening.

Having said that, i think I'll have a go anyway, as it goes onto to tell you how to deactivate them first to save it happening.

I have to say, i don't agree with what that person said.

Yes, there could be a chance you can set off the airbag, but so far, i've managed to change the H/U from the factory one to my own unit, and many times in between as well (think it's about 3-4times changed between my H/U's) and even when it was pro installed, it's NEVER set off the airbags.

As i'm curious about this matter, i think i will take my current H/U out and start taking pics ASAP, just to settle this and to see what all the fuss is about.

:yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links