Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Tread...

Gnome

Maybe a stupid question, but my excuse is being used to motorcycle tyres for the last 5 years... :D

I took the Yaris to be serviced the other week, and the chap rang me to say I should have 2 new tyres fitted, as the fronts were on legal limit.

I asked for a price, and he said £54 for economy tyres. I laughed, and said I could get the Bridgestones for less than that. :D

I picked up the car, and he reminded me again to get new tyres.

Now, the guy I used is the guy Garrick recommended to me, and apparently services alot of cars for the MR2 owners club, so I'm not questioning his judgement, but I measured the tread depth, and they're above legal limit, but NOT all the way to the edge.

Now on bikes, 75% of the tyre needs to be above 1.0mm to be legal, and I'm aware that cars need to be 1.6mm minimum, but does the same rule apply?

I'll try and get some pics of the tyres with the indicator I got (A very handy card from my old nissan micra :D).

I've ordered the tyres anyway, and it could just be me being a tight-****, but I wanna double check. ;)

Not looked at your link.. but, the legal limit is 1.6mm over 75% of the tread... the other 25% must have visible tread.

Tyres on cars, light vans (not exceeding gross weight) and light trailers must have a tread depth of at least 1.6mm across the central three-quarters of the breadth and in a continuous band around the entire circumference of the tyre.

Tyres must be suitable (ie of the correct specification and size) for the use to which the vehicle is being put and must be inflated to the manufacturers' recommended pressures.

Tyres of different types must not be fitted to opposite wheels of the vehicle (for example, radial-ply tyres must not be fitted to a wheel on the same axle as wheels already fitted with cross-ply tyres and vice versa, and a two-axle vehicle must not have radial ply tyres on the front axle if cross ply tyres are fitted to the rear axle)

No tyre must have a break in its fabric or a cut deep enough to reach the body cords. No cut must be more than 25mm or 10% of the tye's section width in length, whichever is greater.

There must be no lump, bulge or tear caused by separation or partial fracture of its structure, neither must any portion of the ply or cord structure be exposed.

J

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links