Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2c To A 2ct

opiki

Hi all As this is my first post please advise if this is in the wrong part of this forum or if you know of another forum in which to ask the following question.

I have a 2c diesel engine running a portable sawmill which is a bit underpowered. I would like approx another 20% in torque and as I cant really afford to change for another motor I am looking to turbo the existing engine.

My main query is as my motor is governed to only 2800 rpm would I be better to put on a smaller turbo such as a ct9 off a Starlett engine (the turbo off a 2ct turbod engine is a ct20), my feeling for this is as the motor is only running at 60% of its max speed (although this is where its max torque is) would a smaller turbo then produce more boost than the bigger turbo.

I am only after about 8psi boost.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

Which way have you driven the saw-mill off the engine??Got any pics ??

If your driving it off the Crankshaft Pulley,then change the pulley diameter to "overdrive" the saw for the same given speed of the engine.

I think the gains you get from a turbo installation would be negated by the increased fuel consumption - besides - the normally aspirated injection pump is totally different to the CT version.

You should be able to adjust the governed speed up a bit to get the extra out the engine( im not talking 1500rpm extra - about 750rpm should do the job)

Be interested to see your set up :thumbsup:

Im not sure on how to post pics Ill try and find out later.

In the meantime the drive is taken striaght off the flywheel in direct drive.

Unfortunately the blade speed is set so as the rim speed of the blade travels at a set speed ( 11000 surface fet per minute)

So I really have to keep the engine speed at 2800 rpm, according to toyota this is where the engine creates its optimum torque rating.

If I was to run the engine quicker and change the pulleys on the drive the engine, I would have less power once the initial inertia was lost.

I am not too worried (within reason) about fuel economy.

I have been told that the injector pump side of things "shouldnt" be a problem as 6-8 psi boost is not enough to create a problem with a/f mixture ratios. If this is wrong I would appreciate confirmation of this as well

Thanks

Ps. hopefully pics soon

Ok - see the problem you have with the sfpm of the blade - you should be able to adjust the Full Throttle Fuel Enrichment on the pump( start with 1/2 turn anticlockwise) to richen it up enough as the turbo comes on boost.

If the saw runs at max.torque of the engine,then you will probally get away with keeping the standard injection pump on - you wont need vairable boost i assume.

:thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Is there some news about this project.

I was thinking placing the turbo of the 2C-T on a 2C engine and I'm gattering as much information as possible before I would start this project.

• 3 months later...

hi im new to this club,i own a toyota corolla with 2c diesel engine,ive like to install turbo to my 2c engine is that possible?i really want to know!thanx..

According to the 1C,2C,2C-T Engine Manual - there is no difference between the bottom end on the 2C to the 2C-T, same crank,mains,big ends,pistons and rods.

You may want to check the EPC (electronic parts catalogue ) CD Rom(some for sale on Ebay) to see if there any difference in parts - ie pistons and rings to be 100% sure.

The Engine block of the 2C has the Turbo oil feed pipes take off points blanked off - so no problem there.

Easiest way to do it would be to get a used Cyl.Head from a Breakers yard and make sure it comes complete with the Diesel Pump and Turbo.

Hope this helps you

:thumbsup:

• 5 years later...

Hi all, I have a 1998 Caldina 4wd that I'm doing this too at the moment. Ive soured a turbo plus manifolds off a 2c t engine with a ct-9 turbo on it. I'm working true a diesel tuning place hear in nz. As advised by them I got the injector pump off the 2c t as well as it has the boost control solenoid thing? on top which is required. The pump is leaking so I'm getting the seals done on that. I will keep you posted on how I go.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links