Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mp3 Headunit Choices

londoner

Hi all. Jus wondering if owners here could narrow down my choices for an MP3 CD headunit.(single DIN) There are so many to choose from, that I don't know where to begin! Requirements are..

1. Budget of £120

2. Has to support mp3's

3. Customizable

4. Removable front fascia

5. Lot's of features :D

Cheers

(Oh, and should most units support the Toyota DIN Mountings?)

1. Budget of £120

Blaupunkt Modena MP54

Alpine CDE-9845RB

Pioneer DEH-P5700MP

But to name a few i found.....

2. Has to support mp3's

All the above do  :thumbsup:

3. Customizable

In what way??? Change display colour??

4. Removable front fascia

The one's i found do

5. Lot's of features

What are you looking for, pre-outs, EQ, etc???

Oh, and should most units support the Toyota DIN Mountings

DIN mountings is a standard mounting size, unless your thinking of a double DIN size??

Thanks Bling...By customizable, I mainly mean the illumination, which I think Alpine usually do. EQ and bass control would be useful. Not too worried about pre outs . Overall good sound quality is what I'm after. :D

Alpine have change the dual colour thing, so you only have one colour now, but you can get them in various colours instead if that makes sense :yes:

To get good SQ from a fairly basic unit, is a bit of a try and error and word of mouth situation. I best say, is to save a bit more money, and try and get a better priced unit, i have to say, you get for what you pay for.

Why don't you want pre-outs, you could expand your system alot more than you realise it.

Why don't you want pre-outs, you could expand your system alot more than you realise it.

I may just upgrade the Speakers later, but I don't plan to keep the corolla for that long to warrant an amp. Hoping to get a celica sometime down the line... :)

well if you get one with pre-outs mate - keep your existing HU & when the time comes to sell the Corrolla you can put the new HU in the Celica old one in the corolla & you don't have to buy another HU :thumbsup:

J

well if you get one with pre-outs mate - keep your existing HU & when the time comes to sell the Corrolla you can put the new HU in the Celica old one in the corolla & you don't have to buy another HU :thumbsup:

J

doh.jpg

Doh! I never thought of that.... Looks like most people here own a pioneer or Alpine HU.

well - i've had an older series Pioneer now for over 6 years & never had a problem with it - athough i've also had a Kenwood Z838 unit in that time as well.

Alpine stuff is also great - so really its up to you mate

J

I think it's the look of it, and what it does that will sway it for you, after all, it's you who will be using it, and looking at it all the time, not us :lol:

Personally, i've started a long time ago with Pioneer, but this what the type of theft proof device of removing the whole unit, anybody remember them :lol:

Next it was another Pioneer, bit better than the first, but still did the job.

From there moved to Alpine, this is where it all changed for me, all buttons, no knobs to turn or fiddle, and what i like about Alpine stuff was one button had like three functions depending on what you was doing, so it gave more of a free from clutter of buttons view, unlike some other manufactures that were button mad on there display.

So now i'm currently on my 4th Alpine, with my next Alpine awaiting it release, as you can tell, i'm an Alpine fan, but have to say, seen a few other manufactures that i beginning to like now :wub:

Personally, i've started a long time ago with Pioneer, but this what the type of theft proof device of removing the whole unit, anybody remember them

Yes...I remember people carrying their headunits around like handbags....good ol days :)

Done a quick shortlist of these...

Pioneer DEH4700MPdeh4700mp

Pioneer DEH-P5700MPp5700mp

Pioneer DEH-P6700MPp6700mp

Alpine CDE-9843R

cde9843r

Alpine CDE-9845RB9845RBb_cde9845rb.jpg

I like the fact that the first Pioneer unit allows you to angle the fascia; particularly useful if it positioned low down. So far, I am favouring the Alpine CDE-9845RB. Is there any difference between 45w and 50w power output in terms of sound quality. (presuming I am using stock Speakers for now)? Cheers Dave

Is there any difference between 45w and 50w power output in terms of sound quality. (presuming I am using stock speakers for now)?

Nope, i mean 5 watts, what the 'ell will you be missing :lol:

Look for feature that might be useful later on, when you want to expand your system, but not planning to use now, such as pre-outs.

Also, look out for such as ipod features, if you have one, they seem to be taking off big time for car audio.

Me personally, would choose this unit

Linky

The reason so, it does MP3 (as you wanted), ipod (just a thought), OEM display and steering wheel control (should be able to connect to cars that have a seperate display and steering remote controls on the steering wheel), 3 pre-outs (more than enough to have a quality system build)

I also, personally, like the big displays, so saves squinting trying to find what your looking for :thumbsup:

Just to give you a taster of my new unit.... Alpine :ban::lol:

:thumbsup:

Ouch...Nice unit thou!........

I also, personally, like the big displays, so saves squinting trying to find what your looking for
Shudda gone to specsavers mate:)

Shudda gone to specsavers mate :)

You should see my driving then :lol:

:thumbsup:

link hereI think I'm gonna go for the pioneer DEHP6700MP. Although I'd ideally like the Alpine, my budget is a bit tight at the mo and the Pioneer unit has way more feautres. I take it Caraudiodirect is the main place for decent priced ICE?

Yes, Car Audio Direct is a very good site to buy from, and getting advice from there forum as well.

Most places you find on the web, to shop for, are really good.

If your that worried about the shop/security/advice, then call them and speak to a real peson at the other end, i did :thumbsup:

But one thing i do say, if you buy anything over the web, over the value of £100 and pay by credit card, then you get instant insurance to protect yourself and shop incase they go bust, that way, you know you will be getting your money back if it all goes wrong :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links