Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hilux 4x4 Problem!

kinada

Hi all. I'm a newbie on here, but it looks like a great forum.

I have a small problem with my 96 Hilux 2.4 Diesel pickup. I use it regularly off-road but nothing too strenuous, just wet, muddy ground. The problem occurs when I try to shift back to 2WD - it won't! The lever appears jammed in 4WD. This does not happen every time but most of the time. It takes considerable force on the lever to get it back into 2WD, but it seems that no matter how hard I push the lever it only pops back into 2WD (with a clunk!) when it is ready. I have tried stationary, moving very slowly, coasting, unlocking the hubs etc etc but it makes no difference. As you know, 4WD on tarmac is a bad idea so this problem can be most inconvenient. Sometimes it goes back in within seconds and another time it will take half an hour!

Any help would be most appreciated. Perhaps this is a common problem but I have performed a search with no luck. By the way, the pickup has 100K+ miles but FSH and is fine in all other respects. But I believe the 2 previous owners rarely used the 4WD.

Essay over! Cheers. :)

Not sure if u have a problem at all...

Hilux 4WD system is "solid", meaning there is no differential between axles.

If u run on 4WD mode and steer right or left there is speed difference between front and rear axle and u cant shift to a 2wd mode cause central locking gears are so tight together on that moment. Drive straigt forward say 10-20 meters and u are able to shift back to 2WD mode again.

Shifting to 4WD mode goes easy, but getting it off needs driving straight for a moment to take this "tension" off from gears.

Sorry my bad english, someone correct me if here is no sense at all :)

Thanks for the reply. But I have tried driving for a few metres and 'feathering' the throttle to take the 'tension' off the gears but it is still jammed. Sometimes, turning off the engine and leaving it for a while helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

not sure how to post this but i tryed my 4x4 today and front wheel dont drive but the prop shaft turns any one give me a clue where to start to sort

Found this, I hope it helps:

Check through those instructions in a logical manner.

If you have both back wheels and one front wheel firmly on the ground then:-
The back wheels cannot turn.
The rear propshaft cannot turn.
If 4x4 is selected then the front propshaft is locked to the rear propshaft and it cannot turn, nor can the crown wheel in the front diff.
If the air pump is running and the freewheel mechanism in the front diff is locked up, then the raised front wheel cannot turn as both the other front wheel and the crown wheel cannot turn.

Think about how a diff works.
If you lock the propshaft (and the crownwheel) but leave the wheels free, then turn one wheel, the other wheel will turn in the opposite direction.
If you lock one wheel and turn the other wheel, the propshaft will turn.
If you lock both wheels, or one wheel and the propshaft, nothing will turn.

If you find that you can turn the front wheel that is off the ground while the other three are firmly on the ground then:-

If the front propshaft turns, 4x4 is not engaged (electrical problem or clutch problem in TC)
If the front propshaft does not turn then the freewheel mechanism has not locked, maybe the air pump is faulty or mechanism is broken. Also maybe an axle shaft has broken, usually where it is splined into the diff centre.

Check all the possibilities before handing out cash for a new TC.

not sure how to post this but i tryed my 4x4 today and front wheel dont drive but the prop shaft turns any one give me a clue where to start to sort

If its got manual front hubs they will need locking

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links