Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is The Uk Gt A Turbo?

m.pearse

HI

I AM VERY INTERESTED IN BUYING A G REG UK SPEC 170BHP GT TBAR. NOW IS THIS THE TURBO?

I KNOW THERE IS A JAPANESE TURBO ABOUT 245BHP?

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW IS IF THE GT TBAR 170BHP ROUGHLY IS ACTUALLY A TURBO OR IS IT JUST THE JAP ONE WHICH IS A TURBO? ORIS THE GT JUST A DECEIVING NAME!?

THANKS AND ANY HELP AT ALL WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!

Only Jap 2's were Turbo's, there were never any official UK MR2 Turbo's...

GT just refers to spec level. 178Bhp was the NA MR2

Welcome to TOC m.peubik

GT name shouldn't be confusing as it originally meant 'Grand Touring'. I've never thought of GT as implying that a car has a turbo. In any case it's just a Badge these days.

Anyone selling a Turbo will clearly state that on an advert as they tend to fetch a higher price.

But don't let this put you off the normally aspirated car; if you're happy with the 174bhp then don't worry about there being no Turbo.

The N/A engine is a fine piece of machinery. 174 bhp in a reasonably light car is a good figure. On the road I believe it has more than enough power; most N/A owners will tell you that the absence of turbo lag is an advantage.

Of course, on the track the N/A will be slaughtered by the turbo, but that's a different matter.

a g plate mr2 will only be 158bhp anyway, unless its been modded a bit?

GT= grand touring

GTS= grand touring sports <-- supossed to be lightweight hence "sports" but i think everything available on the GT is available as an option on the GTS

a g plate mr2 will only be 158bhp anyway, unless its been modded a bit?

I didn't notice the plate Houston, as he said 174 I just assumed he meant the later models.

m.peubik - if you check out the stickies in the MR2 section you'll find info on the different models and links to a site that tells you the bhp of each revision. Not that it makes a huge difference - the earlier cars had less power as standard, but they were lighter so performance differences aren't that big.

If the performance is important to you, watch out for cars with the 3G-FE engine though - the heads on those are designed for economy rather than performance so they have considerably lower outputs. I'm not dissing them - they're still fine cars and should use less fuel and be a slightly lower insurance group. But if you want the higher bhp you want the 3S-GE engine or 3S-GTE (Turbo).

If you want the full lowdown, there's a great book on MR2s available from Veloce.

Click here for details.

Tony

but i think everything available on the GT is available as an option on the GTS

You are learning young Skywalker :P good memory!!

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Another thing to remember is that on the NA although the later models had 20Bhp more they weren't as quick accelerating due to extra weight and less torque :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links