Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Laptop

sephton19661

After dropping my old laptop (compaq presario 900)

The insurance company have decided to let me have a new one up to the value of £750

Now what i need to know what will be the best one to get ive looked at some new laptops and it is all double dutch to me.

I would like one with mobile technology also with a decent amount of memory and one that i could play games on.

Any recomendations within the £750 price bracket would be great.

i would stick to HP, IBM or Toshiba's but thats personal prefferance.

I personally have an IBM T41 & can'tfault it, but i've been playing with the new X series with the biometric security & they are very serious bits of kit.

HP's are great machines we've got the 9000 series at work and the display is superb :thumbsup:

if you can only go to PCWorld or Currys its going to be limited.

try something like This

J

This is what the insurance offered me but i sadly declined it as it was going to take 28 working days to deliver to me .

Ive already been without my laptop now for 1 month need one for work.

HP Compaq Business Notebook nx6125

Seems ok i would have accepted it if it wasnt for the wait

but looked at the laptops on sale at all them shops and none are as good as that for the price.

the website the guy on the phone give me was www.pcwb.com and told me to search for hpnb0351

and the above laptop came up he also told me to go to pc world and i could possibly get that one from the store.

I'm the guy responsible at my work for supporting laptop users.

We have approx 15 laptop users, of which only 1 is a Dell - the rest are IBM.

The R40's we got in batch for our salesteam. They're now discontinued, but we got them from IBM, and thought "great!"

However, 6 months later, the first of them lost it's network connection when he tried visiting his local office to do some work, and found he couldn't connect to our network.

After efforts to find a software/ networking fault failed, I called IBM, and they said the system board would need replacing. Not a problem, I though. However, we would have to pay for the postage BOTH ways, and it would take a good week or more to fix the problem. This happened over the next 12 months to each other user who had an R40. We had to Shell out £30 each way for postage, of which, we have only just received our money back from IBM because of all the problems it caused.

It's been the same with our PC's too. Not on as great a scale, but we've still had PC's cripple themselves overnight for no apparent reason.

We've got PC's here of other brands, which are about 7 yrs old, and function without a problem!

Just my gripe with IBM. However, the T41's we have are pretty good machines, so can't fault them. I just wouldn't use them for a home PC because of the problem with customer service we've had.

The same goes for Dell too.

I'd go Toshiba or HP. ;)

great well i will look at hp already looked at the toshiba and not to impressed with the specs from pc world so looks like i'll go for the hp

Have you considered an Apple iBook? you can get the 12" for £699.

The only thing to put any potential iBook purchase off at the mo though is the prospect of an intel Mac coming out in the next 12 months (you could then dual boot to WinXP)

I'd really try and push for a centrino if you can!!!

My Sony Vaio laptop has been excellent so far :thumbsup: It is centrino, 15" screen, totally silent (I have only ever heard the fan once!!) and I get at least four hours from the Battery!!!

They also look nice :ph34r:

Have you considered an apple iBook? you can get the 12" for £699.

The only thing to put any potential iBook purchase off at the mo though is the prospect of an intel Mac coming out in the next 12 months (you could then dual boot to WinXP)

Can already be done, not sure on the legality though ;)

Acer are very good value for money, And you don't need centrino, you would only be paying for the brand if you bought centrino and pentium in my honest opinion.

Had you considered looking at an Acer? They offer very good value, aren't inferior price-for-price and are just as robust as any other.

You can by a Blue Tooth 'dongle' for any machine, if that's a requirement.

Are they called notebooks rather than laptops thesedays after some serious incidences invloving the burning of private parts, or is there some other reason?

Acer are very good value for money, And you don't need centrino, you would only be paying for the brand if you bought centrino and pentium in my honest opinion.

I disagree!!!

My desktop runs an athlon 64, where you want grint and don't care aabout power usage or temperature...

But for something to work in a laptop a chip that runs cooler and maore power efficiantly not only boosts Battery life, but doesn't have an annoying fan going off every two seconds!!! My machine before was a P4 laptop (siemens) it was rubbish!!! I also have an AMD Athlon based laptop an that is even worse! Both the latter sound like the hoover when they get warmed up!

Built in wireless netwrking is fantastic too!!! with the price of wireless routers these days it really does "free your laptop", Yes you can get wireles doblges, but they tend to get knocked and broken when you are using the thing about the house, in the garden in bed etc.....

Admitedly Sony vaios are hardly "value for money", but I'd still reccomend goign the extra for centrino!

One oher thing... don't buy from highstreet shops!!!!! (pc world are rip off merchants!!!)

I saved £400 over the PC world price by buying from ebuyer!!!

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/in...t_uid=10&stid=5

They have an HP cetrino for under £600

Depends what you want really. Pentium is more graphics orientated, and an Athlon is more for your basic user.

However, the Athlon can stand upto the job of gaming and graphic software quite well.

The noise will be mostly from your PSU, CPU and mainoard fans, not your processor. We have Centrino laptops at work, and they're just as noisey as the Pentium and Athlon ones!

Plus, he needs to go to PC World/ Currys/ Dixons, cause that's where the vouchers are valid for. ;)

I assumed as its a laptop it would not be for gaming and graphics.. more for doing laptoppy things ;)

Like I said my "power" machine is an Athlon 64 :bookworm:

Maybe Its just the Sony one I have, but out of all the laptops I have had and used its the best by a long long way!!!

I have only ever seen laptops with one fan......... (unless we are talking old ones!!)

I'm no expert and my use is more text-oriented (though idle use has proven that games and DVDs work ok), but my Athlon-based Acer is reasonably quiet fan-wise. Manages photo work OK too. I don't mind using a dongle since I normally plug the machine into a wired network and use Blue Tooth only occasionally for mobile e-mail and internet with my phone. I'm avoiding a wireless network so far since I belive there's enough waves around me in various frequencies as is!

I suppose it depends on what you need it for and how often, but it more than does for me and beats many similar-spec, reputable rivals on price. My own observation is that a lot of people are buying machines that they aren't going to use to the full, e.g. do you want a machine that 'can' play games or are you a hardcore non-stop gamer with a vast library of titles requiring the most impressive pentium and graphics card?

Actually, my only complaint with my Acer is that when I used it as a 'laptop' in my underwear it gave a rather unpleasant tingly sensation. :blink: But I did become a father again afterwards.

most employees where i work use an ibm t41 and they are very good. got all the centrino stuff in it off course...

i would definately go for centrino (not biased) but it is probably the best on the market

you are paying extra for it, but it is an extremely good product imo

I have an Advent 7041 which I dont recommend :( got it for around £700 or so I think.

The Battery needs replacing..it's a year and a couple of months old, it's used every day usually but not for hours and hours so now I have it plugged into the mains and it runs off that, instead of it's Battery. I don't like the keys plus a lot of the letters have rubbed off!!! Graphic and display wise it's decent, but it doesnt like some texts and will just display them in something plain like arial when it really should be different.

If I had the money I'd get another laptop...definately not one of these again :(

Just thought I'd share my experience!

Do people not understand you can get intergrated wireless that isn't centrino... Dosen't need a dongle and works just as good without the sodding zip thing advertising it <_<

My dads laptop AMD 3000 runs significantly quieter than our PC AMD 2800 and also my AMD 3800. They are designed differently, youcant compare a desktop with a laptop. For a laptop I assume you are looking for a convenient pc and not for a product as powerfull as a pc? In this case go for value for money and not whats got the best adverts.

All Centrino means is the combination of the chipset and the pentium m proccessor. you can get a laptop with a pentium m and say Broadcom wireless and there isnt really any difference to the user. Personally im hp all the way, manuals etc are available on the site if you ever need to strip it down. -I might be slightly biased though being a hp/Compaq engineer!