Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Problems.......... Ideas Please

oli_paseo

hi i hav an 1997 paseo for some reason it seems to be smoking alot when you giv it alot of throttle!!!

e.g say i was at a standstill holdin the revs about 3000 for 5 seconds then gave it a quick (blip on the throttle)

it would send two puffs of black smoke (fuel i thinK?) out the exhaust pipes followed by a light grey smoke afterwards (oil i think?)

this smoking is very excessive as it has never done this before.

also say i drive the car for a few miles there is always black sooty deposits left all over the rear end!

any ideas would be helpfull...?

it is a 5E-FE engine that has done 60,000 miles

i have checked the fuel presssure regulator it ok , changed the coolant temp sensor , injectors hav been sent away + tested!

cheers guys oli

how much have you been using nos cos regardless of what people say it does reduce engine life

ive hardly used the nos.......... its running on 25% jets which is really small!

only used 2 bottles since ive had it which was 3 months ago! which really isnt alot its mostly for show use!

hi i hav an 1997 paseo for some reason it seems to be smoking alot when you giv it alot of throttle!!!

Hi,

It seems like you've problems with the valves guide (i don't know if it's the exact term in english, sorry for my eng), maybe caused by a neglected valve clearance control ...

The engine burns oil or the oil level after, say, 5.000 miles, remain the same ?

I've read you used nos...maybe there's a connection.

You could make a try, to discover if there's a major problem in the engine :

Try to drive in a empty road, with hot engine, reach about 4000 rpm in a high gear (4th-5th), raise the foot, let the revs get down to 2500 about, then give full throttle, if the car smokes, you have a major problem with the engine valves.

otherwise you have to check water, if the level remains the same or your car drinks a lot ;) in this case you have a major problem with the engine head, usually caused by dealing badly the engine when it's cold.

bye :) [sorry again for my english ;) maybe you're laughing :)]

• 7 months later...

your head gasket might be going. whitish smoke usually meens your anifreeze is mixing with your oil and your getting stuff on the back of your car, check your head gasket. NOS is not good for cars of small engine displacement. just a thought

I remember a problem just like this on an old Micra I had. It seems a common problem with the older micras is worn piston rings and this is what caused smoke in that instance. This may be another candidate to add to the list.