Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E12 Subwoofer Installation

dwardu

Fellas,

I am thinking of getting a sub in my rolla's boot. I already replaced the front Speakers with 17cm 2-way Kenwood Speakers. I actually found these fittings for the corolla front doors which fit directly to the 3-hole bracket. That alone improved the sound in my car by far. Now i want to add some punch.

I would like to know, how the hell i'm going to get a power cable for the sub in the boot? There seems to be a rubber housing near the fuse box which seems to lead to the dash board, but when i tried to pass a cable trough it just didn't get trough. I was also considering to get the signal from the front Speakers since it seems simpler than the rear ones (mine is a 3dr).

One final thing, how can i connect the amplifier to the ignition so that the sub goes on and off according to the car?

any help is appreciated

10x

Edi

Sounds like you want to do what i've done already :lol:

Best way for power cable, push through the main wiring loom in the main bulkhead, saves time and also saves drilling holes anywhere.

I take it you still got the main H/U installed, and not one of your own.

Best way for it would be to changed to speaker feed in RCA leads, then run phono/RCA leads along the car, taking the feed from the speaker not the best way for it.

To get your amp to turn on, find the switchable feed at the back of the H/U, and run another wire down the car, for this to happen, trying to take it from the ignition, would cause alot of probs and i'm sure Toyota wouldn't be too happy and pop goes your warrenty

Also, if you do a search of my name, you will find alot of stuff that might be useful as well.

Bing

Ps, Don't forget to look at my signature links, also might be useful :thumbsup:

Bing,

from where do you suggest to pass the power cable from under the dash to the boot? and from were to pass the signal cable?

Ed

dude, i had a simple install in my old E12 rolla, alas now i have full screen sat nav so i cannot be bothered to put all the stuff in!

Direct the wires down the left side on the car, down the kick trims...there is plenty of room...be careful of the trims tho, they clip into each other and can be quite brittle..If you have a lot of audio wires going to the boot i may be a good idea to allow some down the other side, being carfull that they wont snag on the steering column!

Hope this helps

Chris

I'm bit of parnoid about strange sounds that shouldn't emanate from my Speakers, learnt that from a pervious car, that i had to re-wire twice due to this.

If you want to do a proper job, as i did, then take out the whole interior out, meaning seats (front and back :yes: ) side trims and carpet, so all you have is an empty interior car.

That way, you can see where all the cables are for the car, and where you can put all your cables down in the car.

Gaffer tape does wonders to sticking cables down :thumbsup:

Ok, as i did...

Connect direct from Battery with a good connection, make sure you protect to accordlingly from hot things within the engine bay, don't try and drill a hole in the bulkhead as this could lead to rust or such like later on, do as i did, i went throught the main wiring loom in the bulkhead, and feed it through, believe me, you might think it too easy, but i'll let you try and find another way....

Run power cable down middle passenger side of car to boot, the fatter the cable the less resistance it will cause.

Run phono/RCA leads down middle driver side of car to boot, most H/U now a days have 3 pre-outs (front/rear/sub) so lay accordlingly for what you want it for, and don't forget to lay a remote cable as well, otherwise you won't be able to turn your amp on :lol::thumbsup:

Run speaker cables down each side of the car, if possible lay two runs of cables, that way if you need another cable for any reason, like, changing Speakers from full range to compentents, you already have the cable there and you don't have to pull up the trim again, plan ahead :thumbsup:

Find a good grounding point in the boot, clean it with wire wool, and connect to it.

This is the basics points of a good install, that i've found from past experience.

For whats in my Rolla, it sounds good with little/no interference from strange noises that could be made from the car

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links