Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Painting Alloy Wheels..

Mystique7

Just bought a cheap set of 16" Celica wheels off eBay for £30.. they're pretty manky, and the paint has bubbled off the majority of the rims. Anyway, i've used paint stripper to get rid of all the old paint, and am now down to the bare aluminium (although some of it is very oxodised). I've used varying grades of wet and dry to get a decent painting surface, and now I just need to paint them. I'm wondering what type of paint to use for the wheels? Are there special paints for the job, or can standard cellulose be used with a primer+paint+clear coat?

Thanks in advance.

You can either get them powder coated, or just use standard car paint.

Halfrauds etc, do aerosols of Wheel Silver, specifically for wheels, But realistically any paint will do. You'll have to prime them first, and when it's painted add loads of lacquer to keep the wheels protected.

I'd go with powdercoating personally, but as above, car paint should suffice. It it's black, then even smoothrite should do the trick, and will be harder wearing than normal paint.

• 8 months later...

Hi Mystique7, what paint stripper did you use on your alloys?, did it do the trick at all, what steps did you take to get all the paint off down to the bare metal, and what other meterials did you use, any pics off your wheels, thx m8 TRIG:].

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links