Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is The 2.0 Vvti Torquey Enough?

funkyg

To pull a caravan that is. We're considering doing the whole tourer thing, and I'm wondering if the 2.0 vvti has enough 'pull'.

Obviously you're limited to 60mph when towing, but the engine doesn't really pick until around 3000rpm. In 5th gear on the motorway that is around 70mph which you shouldn't be doing while towing.

So back to the original question, is my car any good for towing a caravan?

I don't really want to go back a diesel (had a mk2 Mondeo TD before this), as I love my current car.

Cheers!

Mike.

I've towed my trailer (190 kg) plus 1.5 cubic metres of firewood which should way at least that (according to the sales guy up to 400 kg, but 600kg is an illegal load for a non-breaked trailer with the Avensis). Lets say a legal 500 kg. Compared to my 1.6 VVT-i Corolla I was surprised how little the car felt it, in terms of breaking and stability too. As you know, you go through the gears when accelerating and keep the revs a little higher and change down to overtake, and with these slight driving adjustments there's little difference at cruise. Fuel consumption went up around 20-25%.

Like I say, I was pleased at how solidly the car did it and it pulled well without a struggle or any thrashing. Certainly an improvement over a 1.8. Maybe you could borrow a trailer/caravan for a test tow?

If you're talking about a mondeo with a TDdi engine rather than a TDci engine, then that would be enough to put you off diesels for life!

Ford were slow to adopt diesel engine technology, and even then they had to turn to PSA (peugeot/citroen).

An avensis with the D4D would be a totally different proposition. At the end of the day, diesels tow better no matter how you look at it.

However, the 2.0VVTi engine I would have thought should manage fairly well, just don't expect it to return it's usual good economy.

I second the comment re Tddi ford diesels. My boss had a mondeo with that engine a while ago, and it was horrible. the D4D knocks spots off it trust me. I was driving an 05 plate 2.0 petrol Avensis last week, and I much prefer my diesel to the petrol, the torgue difference is huge IMO.

Cheers for the input guys.

I've only had this car for six months so trading in for a diesel isn't really an option yet. And yes it was the old style Ford diesel. My neighbours hated me on cold winter mornings, it was soooooo noisy! Especially before I replaced the glow plugs.

When I changed my car I really wanted one of the new TDCi Mondeos, but there weren't any around that I liked in my budget. I then came across my Anvensis and I haven't looked back. I think the combination of owning a really crap diesel and then getting a really good petrol has put me off diesels for life.

Mike.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links