Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Possible Handbrake Problem

JAHill

Not sure if this is just a "feature" as I've only driven vehicles with rear drums, not discs like on the Avensis, but when I'm heading down a hill and I stop with the foot brake and then apply the hand brake when I release the foot brake the car moves forward about two inches then the handbrake holds it fine. The handbrake comes up about 5 clicks so it is easily within the 6-9 click limit I have seen mentioned.

Just wondered if it is a problem or just something I've never had on another vehicle.

Sorry... My Avensis is a new (about three week) D4D Colour Collection Hatch.

Cheers,

Jim

Yep, I have one a few months old now, and they all roll forward a little after applying the handbrake.

Bear this in mind if you are parking nose downhill, really close to a wall and in other relevant circumstances, e.g. downhill at the lights!

I suppose the handle did seem to pull up quite high at first, but you get used to it.

First all-disc car I had did this. Asked questions and got the same answers, so it appears to be correct.

But then with an auto, if you apply the handbrake in D, then take foot off brake it will always take up the slack, even up hill. Can't be bothere to keep putting the thing in N!

Cheers guys. That's set my mind at ease. :)

Seems the 206 does it as well as a lad at work told me that his 206 does it too.

Cheers,

(A much relieved) Jim

Yeah mine does it as well, 6 months old, did it from day I got it. I did get them to take up the slack on handbrake travel on first service though, it was about 11 notches from day 1, almost vertical!

• 1 year later...

Yeah mine does it as well, 6 months old, did it from day I got it. I did get them to take up the slack on handbrake travel on first service though, it was about 11 notches from day 1, almost vertical!

When they took up the slack after the first service did that cure the problem?

Seems to be a thing with these cars then. Got mine from new and was a little alarmed at the handbrake travel. Not tried a hill start in it yet so wouldn't know about the rolling issue, but i'll make sure i'm careful!

Paul...after service handbrake worked on about 4 notches, but that lil creep is still there, something to do with the way handbrakes work on discs I believe, and not an issue really, you get used to it lol!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links