Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ive Managed To Do Something Stupid.

mark_n

Last night I managed to over rev the engine. The needle went upto the first red mark on the rev counter (its a 1.4 petrol). I am really annoyed with myself with this. The car seems to sound ok and pull ok. Do you think I might of damaged the engine?

Thanks

:lol: Who/What was chasing you then, if you was going that fast :lol:

Depending what gear you was over-revving at the time/how long you was over-revving, but should be ok.

I've already redlined my car, just to see what top end of each gear of my car could do, and so far, no permanant damage, but i would say, my gear crunching doesn't help too much either.... :lol:

:thumbsup:

I redline my car a fair bit, shouldn't do it any harm, as long as you have enough oil in it :)

Only thing it'll harm is your fuel consumption :lol:

As oriracer say's "thats the way ure surpose to drive um"

I rev the (.)(.)'s outta mine some days... its seems as if she likes that end of the dials..

LOL i crap myself wen mine hits 5,000rpm n hav to change. Dont half make a loud noise lol. I always feel guilty afterwards for sum reason??

LOL i crap myself wen mine hits 5,000rpm n hav to change.  Dont half make a loud noise lol.  I always feel guilty afterwards for sum reason??

7,500 and no-less,and that loud noise sounds fat stood on the side of the road as she comes screamin' past.

What exhaust u got Kudos+?

yeah, if its a modern car - it has a rev limiter, and it wont kick in until your in the red line...

and the red line is only when the red line is solid - the blocks (if you have them) are just advisory ;)

What exhaust u got Kudos+?

Hi! Mines actually just a standard exhaust, my engine is just !Removed! noisy wen it goes over 3,000. I dont think mine has much or no engine sound proofing. A backbox is def next on my list though, wen my insurance comes down :censor: LOL.

N oh by the way mate, the amount of abuse my drivein instructors yaris took was unbelievable. NOT BY ME! But hes told me about other "pupils" goin from 5th gear to 2nd instead of 4th at like 60mph, so yeh thats over reved n apparently its happened a few times n its on 78,000 miles n still going stong.

Hi!  Mines actually just a standard exhaust, my engine is just !Removed! noisy wen it goes over 3,000.  I dont think mine has much or no engine sound proofing.

Luke, my GLI was the same, above 3,000-4,000rpm and it was really quite loud, sounded a bit harsh too, but once i went past 5,000rpm it seemed to become a nicer sound and i never had any problems with mine upto about 6,250rpm, it had 127,000 miles and was still running fine :thumbsup:

oh and does anybody know where the limiter is on the AE102 GXI? think i've had 6,500rpm and it didnt seem to resist :D

Mike

Hi!  Mines actually just a standard exhaust, my engine is just !Removed! noisy wen it goes over 3,000.  I dont think mine has much or no engine sound proofing.

Luke, my GLI was the same, above 3,000-4,000rpm and it was really quite loud, sounded a bit harsh too, but once i went past 5,000rpm it seemed to become a nicer sound and i never had any problems with mine upto about 6,250rpm, it had 127,000 miles and was still running fine :thumbsup:

oh and does anybody know where the limiter is on the AE102 GXI? think i've had 6,500rpm and it didnt seem to resist :D

Mike

I dont know but 6500rpm is as far as i've went. But i'm sure my little bro has been kicking her about at 7000rpm no probs. But i'll give her the red line test once my other engine is ready to drop in just in case it goes pop :D

I dont know but 6500rpm is as far as i've went. But i'm sure my little bro has been kicking her about at 7000rpm no probs. But i'll give her the red line test once my other engine is ready to drop in just in case it goes pop  :D

:lol: right ok, I thought the limiter was at 6,400rpm for some reason, dont know why :wacko: but obviously its not :D I dont really want to go any higher than that tho, feels like the power starts dropping off after 6,000 rpm, think max is @ 5,800rpm if im not mistaken??

It depends how you've over-revved the engine as to whether you'll have damaged it.

If you hold onto a gear too long and keep your foot in then the ECU will cut the fuel to prevent engine damage (i.e. the rev limiter)

If you mis-shift or deliberately try for too low a gear at too higher speed you'll mechanically over rev the engine and there's no way in god the ECU can protect the engine from that

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links