Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Or Scooby Turbo?

dawolf

I will soon be selling my pride and joy MR2 G-Limited. Currently contemplating whether to buy an MR2 turbo or Scooby Impreza WRX. Both seem to go for around the same price for the same year/mileage. Seem to be a lot more mint Scooby's available than 2's at the moment. I think the 2 looks more stylish and apparently in standard form it is a fraction quicker than the Scooby up to 60mph. BUT I guess I just fancy something a bit different and more aggressive looking, and with rear seats not to mention that grunt! I know most of you will say go for the MR2 but does anyone have any opinions on the Scooby, i.e reliability, handling, performance etc? I'd be interested in comparing the two.

Cheers.

scoobys are ok its just you see everyone with one

the only thing i don't like about fwd cars is if the clutch goes its so expensive to fix

but if you interested in a rev3 turbo let me know or look on the forsale section on imoc to see pics

Scoobies are more expensive to repair than MR2's if anything goes wrong.

You even have to take the engine for a head gasket change (odd for a front engine car).

You loose alot of power at the diffs (cos is 4WD) so astandard 225bhp Scooby is only 190-200 at the wheels (if that). Plus they're boring going round corners and roundabouts!!!

My Brother in law had a scooby, classic shape

Spent a lot of money on it, trying to make it faster.

Nic ecars, but common aswell now, Lose alot of power because of the 4wd. Gave up moddong it in the end, just didnt really perform enough ! and got a skyline Gts Turbo.

My mr2 was faster than his skyline in a straight line up to about 80 miles an hour !!!

Unless you can afford the "STi" version I really wouldn't bother. There OK.....compared with a MR2, Type III especially they will really not feel fast. If you want 4wd then I'd take an evo 1-3 over the WRX (even the STi).

Guys with wrx's sometimes spend 10K to get to the 300 whp mark which is reasonably easy to achieve with the turbo MR2 (again especially the Type III)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

You say you want rear seats, so if that's the case then shouldn't you be comparing the GT4 vs the Scoobie?

IMHO that's a no brainer - I'd have the Celica every time.

a guy i knew with a scoob took me on a run once... rallied the hell out of it .... first impressions of the scoob... was a nice car and spacious, seemed fast. First impressions driving my mr2 turbo hell for leather .... was awestruck

both nice cars and guess if you have wife n kids etc or lot of luggage a scoob would be a good choice but fun factor.... id take the tubby 2 ... only thing id say is mr2's (if they all have that centre console chair divider/arm rest/ gear stick placing)have a fundamental problem where some car fun is concerned... a massive centre divide thing so.... nm i should be quiet :rolleyes::lol:

Knew you'd all say the MR2, lol. I know it's easier and cheaper to tune up, but I thought the import WRX's had around 270bhp as standard? I also heard aftermarket exhausts can add an extra 40bhp.

AFAIA the early one's have about 255hp, and the later ones (2000) have about 275hp. The early one's weigh about the same or maybe a tad lighter than the MR2 but the later one's are as heavy or heavier.

The 255hp one's are popular here, can be fast but unless it's an STi I have no trouble beating them ;)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

WRX's are about 220 bhp .. and the STi's are more ..

Both the MR2 and the Scoob are good cars for different jobs. But all getting far too common and starting to fall into the price brackets of "yoofs" ..

I'd be more tempted to go GT4 (rarity factor) but you'll be pushed to find a 205 for £3,700 ..

A mate of mine found and bought a J-Reg in silver/grey GT4 RC Carlos Saintz for £2450, with the AFM on the engine. I love the rear seats in it. They're buckets in they're own right!!

conversation with average, joe, average joe = AJ

you= you

AJ :what car you got?

you: subaru

AJ: what one??

you: impreza

AJ: 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 estate turbo???

you: turbo

AJ: oh quite common eh?

AJ :what car you got?

you: toyota

AJ: what one??

you: mr2

AJ: oh! turbo/ non turbo

you: turbo

AJ: cool!!

ok not the same thing but you get the drift, if you want 4 seats and turbo id go for a celeca gt4.

Heh heh .. I once told a girl I met for a date I have a "small black toyota" .. I then gave her a lift home in the 'beast' .. toasted a new scumbaru with 555 logo's and big bore exhaust ..

Strangely I got another date ..

Heh heh .. I once told a girl I met for a date I have a "small black toyota" .. I then gave her a lift home in the 'beast' .. toasted a new scumbaru with 555 logo's and big bore exhaust ..

yep. iv got a small p3nis too :P

:D

Have you? That's nice ;)

I was just talking about my car ..

its all lies if you go off the inversely proportional size of car to p3nis size equation ... :thumbsup:

erm except the ladies :unsure:

and umm ppl that drive trucks :help:

*goes into hiding*

:lol:

its all lies if you go off the inversely proportional size of car to p3nis size equation ... :thumbsup:

erm except the ladies  :unsure:

and umm ppl that drive trucks  :help:

*goes into hiding*

:lol:

keep digging! :D

HI mate,

as said both are good cars - just depends what you want... test drive a scoob and see what you think.. However i will say this that there are MORE dog Subaru's than mR2's out there...

Especially the quality of some getting imported within these last couple of years... :eek:

4k will get you a nice 95+ WRX (Approx 250BHP compared to earlier 93/94 that have around 225BHP)

Just be sure the clutch is ok (tend to judder if their on there way out) on test drive drive them hard-ish throughout the rev range as other common faults include dodgy MAF/Lamda Sensors that make them hesitate at around 4500rpm... Rocker Cover gaskets are not uncommon on early WRX's (Burning smeel of oil from the manifold once the car is hot)

Any other info required just let me know.... personally i'd go for a REV3 MR2 Turbo..

Rash.

MR2's R cool but scoobies are just !Removed! go to wales every farmer and his flock of sheep have one but if you really want 4 seats and 4x4 out of this world mind blowing handling get a evo you can now buy a evo3/4 already packed with goodies and about 300bhp for less then 4 grand check out autotrader.You wont see many about and they blow a !Removed! scoobie into the weeds every time

toystar aka biggest scoobie hater ever to own a mr2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links