Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4 Stalling!

stew

Hi all. My wife has a 2 litre petrol auto Rav 4, it is 2 years old. Over the past couple of weeks it has stalled on 5 or 6 occasions while reversing slowly or slowing down for traffic lights. It always restarts immediately. Does anybody have any ideas of what could be wrong? It will be going back to the dealers to hopefully sort out but if I had some knowledge myself I would feel more confident! Reposted from main 4x4 forum. Thanks!

Hi stew

This is our 3rd Rav4 & they have all been auto, have`nt heard of this problem before. Let us know the result after Toyota have fixed it. :blink:

I take it you got my reply in the 4x4 forum? There's defo been someone with the same problem in the Avensis forum.

:thumbsup:

I take it you got my reply in the 4x4 forum?  There's defo been someone with the same problem in the Avensis forum.

Hi Stu,

Yes I've looked through the forum. Took the Rav down to the dealer Wednesday morning and they've still got it! No news yet! It actually stalled 4 times on the way to the dealer. Wife wasn't impressed! Will post the fault when its sorted out. :(

I take it you got my reply in the 4x4 forum?  There's defo been someone with the same problem in the Avensis forum.

Hi Stu,

Yes I've looked through the forum. Took the Rav down to the dealer Wednesday morning and they've still got it! No news yet! It actually stalled 4 times on the way to the dealer. Wife wasn't impressed! Will post the fault when its sorted out. :(

Oops, sorry about the above! As I said I took the Rav into the dealer last Wednesday. They kept it til Monday saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it. ( Yes 5 days! ) You can imagine what I thought after driving about a mile away from the dealer and it started stalling! I booked it into another dealer straight away and took it in on Tuesday. Got it back this afternoon after they fitted a new Throttle body and even gave it a valet. The work was done under warranty. The car is now fine and the service was first class! I will be writing a letter of complaint to the first dealer and will never use them again!

Good on ya! :thumbsup:

Glad it's sorted though now, we don't want it ruining the ownership experience for you! :unsure:

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem with my rav. The local garage drove it around with a computer attached and found the problem. The water sensor at approx 71 degrees C was suddenly telling the engine management system that the temperature was -30c and so it, in turn, told the fuel injection system to give more fuel, i.e. flooding the engine!!

Water sensor replaced, sorted. Thank god for geeks!! :)

Oops, sorry about the above! As I said I took the Rav into the dealer last Wednesday. They kept it til Monday saying they couldn't find anything wrong with it. ( Yes 5 days! ) You can imagine what I thought after driving about a mile away from the dealer and it started stalling! I booked it into another dealer straight away and took it in on Tuesday. Got it back this afternoon after they fitted a new Throttle body and even gave it a valet. The work was done under warranty. The car is now fine and the service was first class! I will be writing a letter of complaint to the first dealer and will never use them again!

Shody service and customer care is not on. Why do these garages treat people like this.... Good on you taking RAV elswhere.. Copy letter to Toyota HQ as well.... :thumbsup:

we have a lot of vehicles in the workshop with the same problem. more often than not the throttle body needs cleaning and resetting