Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica In Hibernation

sephton19661

Well its nearly winter so i have decided to put the celica away for the winter period as not to spoil it.

Was looking a bit rough weather wasnt doing it any favours just washed and polished her this morning looking much better and have tucked her away to bed for the winter is there any precautions i need to do i have left the hand brake off so it dosnt sieze on the car is in a warm garage i will start her up 2 or 3 times a week and will also be changing the heater matrix over the winter was hell not having a heater was freezing.

Just bought my self a winter hack in the form of a saab 900 2.3 so will be driving that for a few months.

If there is anything i need to know about storing a celica any advice would be great..

Don't know if it applies to cars but "they" recommend you don't do the starting it up 2 or 3 times a week type thing as it causes more damage.

Everytime you start it up you create condensation which builds up inside the exhaust, normally that comes out as steam as you go along but when you start it in the garage it just sits there and rots the exhaust from the inside out. You also get a bit of water inside the engine.

With bikes they recommend that you do a full oil change to some very cheap oil, then put fuel stabiliser in the tank, run it quite hard for half an hour to expell any condensation and circulate the fuel stabiliser. Then put it away once it has cooled down put a plastic bag and some elastic bands over the tail pipe (to stop stuff getting in or out) then take the Battery off and put it on a trickle charger like an Optimate.

Then when next year comes, drop the cheap oil out and put some decent stuff in, remove the bag from the exhaust pipe, put Battery back on

Not sure how much applies to a car but the basics should be the same?

I'd just use the car, TBH. For all the hassle of trying to store it 'properly' you may as well be driving it.

My Dad has a 1925 vintage car, which obviously doesn't get used during the winter. He goes to great lengths to ensure that it is prepared as best as possible for the long dormant period. We have a dehumidifier running constantly in the garage, and he leaves the car on wooden blocks to stop the tyres flat spotting. I think he also squirts some oil down the plug holes, not sure if that's when he lays it up or just before he gets it out again, or whether or not he leaves the plugs out. :unsure: He probably does other stuff too, but no idea what, or even if it would apply to a slightly more modern vehicle.

I've got to agree with Mike, I would try and just use the Celica on nicer days but try to use it once a week. That way it won't get to bad and if you are really fussy give it a rinse off when you get back with the hose.

I hate thinking about the car at this time of year as it hardly ever gets washed and it's the worst time! When I get back from work it's pitch black so I can't wash it then and I've got something planned for every weekend between now and Xmas so that won't leave much time!

My bike is put away now, but I do need do to some of the final things. Last year I never put it away and just rode it once evry couple of weeks when there was a sunny dry (but !Removed! cold) day then gave it a good wash when I got back

Best thing you can do - like the guys have already said, is to use it as and when you can, when you get a dry day - maybe once every week/two weeks.

Before winter properly starts (i.e. in the next week or so), give it an amazingly good valet - personally, I recommend a mixture of the Autoglym and Meguiare's valet.

Autoglym - use Engine Cleaner on all the wheel arches and door shuts, scrub and hose down or jet wash off. Regrease the door hinges and use the Autoglym Vinyl Cleaner/Protector on the wheel arch liners to protect and make them sparkly! I then use the Metal Polish to buff up the chrome exhaust and protect that. And then use the alloy wheel cleaner, give them a massive clean. If you're really analy retentive, also use Autoglym super resin polish on the alloy wheels too (as long as they're not chromed). Once the bodywork is clean - use Glass Polish on all the windows (but not the mirrors).

Meguiare's - use the Gold Class wash, followed by the Claying treatment to get the paintwork really clean (smooth as glass!). Then use the paint treatment if you have any light scratches or imperfections. If not, skip straight to the polish and then follow up with a really good dose of carnauba wax. Dress the tyres with Tyre Protector.

By doing this, you're protecting virtually every part of the bodywork from the elements. If you're worried about the bodywork after each journey, then just wash off with some Gold Class shampoo or NXT Tech Shampoo and you'll leave the wax protective coating on, but take off all the c*ck that will be on the bodywork.

Once Spring comes - go complete the valet all over again and I think you'll find the bodywork won't have suffered one iota.

As the guys have said - it is potentially much more damaging to the car being sat idle over winter (i.e. for engine and major components) than it is to be used. At the end of the day, the main problem over the winter is road salt and excessive damp in the atmosphere. By protecting the paintwork beforehand, and looking after it during the winter, you're covering your main element of risk. :thumbsup: