Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Courtesy Car...

Gnome

Rang up to arrange for my yaris to go back in for this replacement rear windscreen, and the lad on the phone said "make sure you bring both parts of your driver's license, and check with your insurance company that you're insured to drive our car..."

What???

I've never had to do that before. I thought the whole point of a courtesy car was that you were insured under the garage's policy, and in the event of an accident, would have to pay a fee for the damage, etc?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gnome

• Demonic Angel

• DaveSR

• Caz SR

Normally you are covered by their insurance.....

I'd double check with them first.... I've always had to sign a form which gives me the car for x days plus also states I'm now insured by them.

wen i was 18 i had a courtesy car for a day which had to go on my insurance. possibly something to do with age or high risk or soemthing...

u can still drive it like u stole it

I would've said age, but I'm 22, so am over the 21 or under bracket.

Saying that, had a car at 20, and only had a form to sign and that was it, and they gave me a 1.4 seat leon for the day. That was fun, especially as I was driving a 1.0 micra at the time... :D

yeah - you should be under their insurance unless they are cheap skates! My insurance states that I can't drive other peoples cars on my insurance but I can drive a courtsey car under my insurace for a maximum of 21 days in one year.

The last one I had was when I was 19 the garage gave me a Carina 2.0TD, and just said sign here, so I signed went off for 2 days and came back then he told me he was supposed to have checked that I was 21!

That's a bit unusual, especially if it's a main dealership. Best check just in case and if the lad hasn't got it wrong, at least you're covered.

Slightly off topic, but what's the deal with being able to drive other peoples cars? I'm 25 with fully comp insurance - does that mean I can drive anyone else's car now, without being a named driver?

Everyone I ask tells me different things and I always forget to ask when I'm on the phone to the insurance company. (T can you help on this?)

Sorry, cheers.

That's a bit unusual, especially if it's a main dealership. Best check just in case and if the lad hasn't got it wrong, at least you're covered.

Slightly off topic, but what's the deal with being able to drive other peoples cars? I'm 25 with fully comp insurance - does that mean I can drive anyone else's car now, without being a named driver?

Everyone I ask tells me different things and I always forget to ask when I'm on the phone to the insurance company. (T can you help on this?)

Sorry, cheers.

I asked the same question some time last week ......... I'll go on the hunt for the thread!

But I was also told to you could drive anybody else's car if your the main driver and fully comp!

Sorry, cheers.

I asked the same question some time last week ......... I'll go on the hunt for the thread!

But I was also told to you could drive anybody else's car if your the main driver and fully comp!

Oops sorry, must have missed that. Cheers :thumbsup:

It depends on your policy. Some policies for over 25's include the ability to driver other peoples cars 3rd party - others dont

It depends on your policy. Some policies for over 25's include the ability to driver other peoples cars 3rd party

... as long as you have the owner's permission :D

I had no idea you had to wait until you were 25 before you got that.

Paul.

It depends on your policy. Some policies for over 25's include the ability to driver other peoples cars 3rd party

... as long as you have the owner's permission :D

I had no idea you had to wait until you were 25 before you got that.

Paul.

25 you say :!Removed!: !

Some are 25 but not all are. It will state on your certificate whether or not you can drive other peoples cars 3rd party or not.

I could have paid an extra premium to have it added to my policy but I don't need to drive anyone elses car - except my wifes.

That's another strange thing with insurance though - both mine and my wifes insurance quotes dropped by about £100 when we got married and added each other to the policies.

Yep I've noticed that some odd things can affect your premium.

By adding Leeky to my insurance he saves me near £150!! (No we're not married :lol: )

Could it be that age and no claims would affect the excess in the event of an accident?

Yep I've noticed that some odd things can affect your premium.

By adding Leeky to my insurance he saves me near £150!! (No we're not married :lol: )

Well he does drive more like a girl then You Charis :lol:

My policey lest me drive other cars third party and has done since I was 17 :D

Sorry, cheers.

Okay get your certificate of Insurance out, on there it will state if you are allowed to drive another car with the owners permission under Third Party Only cover..it's called DOC aka Driving Other Cars. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE EVERYONE do not automatically assume you have this cover, I have spoken to a few Policyholders at work who thought they got it automatically, but they hadn't..and when I tell them to check their certificate they see in print they don't have it after they've had a crash!!! Or ring up your Insurance company just for that reason and enquire plus make sure you get the name of the person you speak too.

Could it be that age and no claims would affect the excess in the event of an accident?

I work for the Insurance Company that insures Toyota...courtesy cars and demo cars and I'm sure that any drivers are covered, but have a different excess depending on age. We used to get them call up from different dealerships and report them but I've not had a call for ages, certain people are designated to do the Fleet Paper claims so it could be they report it that way..I'll try and check the policy again when I remember as we got an email regarding something about them reporting claims.

I also have had something like 3/4 different Yarii courtesy cars from MrT dealerships...and two different dealerships actually, they took a copy of both parts of my license, got me to sign the courtesy car declaration and I also agreed to a £500 excess (I think). Actually thinking about it now perhaps our Underwriters have looked at the quarterly adjustment this year and have made it over 25's or something..but I think that's odd if they have!!

Hmm....I'm intrigued now!

Doesn't it clearly state on your insurance certificate if you have this or not...?

Mine clearly states I am not allowed to drive anyone elses car, I always assumed though that it would change once I turned 25.

Yes, as others have pointed out, it's third party only. Just covers you for whatever you hit. You still have the cost of repairs to a mate's car if you borrow it and then bend it :help:

Odd that some people don't realise whether they are insured for other cars or not. As Blue says, please read your policy carefully so that you know where you are legally. Even if you don't intend to drive someone else's car, it is nice to know if you can in an emergency, like if a friend is taken ill and needs driving home, for instance.

I too was shocked by the excess you agree to pay when Mr T hands over a courtesy car and a little insurance cover slip. Yeah, I think it was around £500. :eek:

As some here will know, I've had more than my fair share of courtesy cars while mine was being sorted out. :rolleyes:

That excess was another reason for being glad to get my own car back. :yes:

Another point to be aware of is that even though your policy may cover you to drive other vehicles not belonging to you 3rd party only, usually they must already have a valid insurance policy under the owner/main user.

i.e. I cannot drive another vehicle not belonging to me unless it already has a valid insurance policy. If anything happened and you tried to claim from your policy it would be void!

Well ....... I got my renewal requests in the post yesterday (perfect timing hey!) and with ASDA car insurance you have to be over 25.

Oh well!

Insurance on courtesy cars? Down to the garage.

Insurance driving other cars, down to the policy.

It's all in the forms you are given. You pay enough for the cover, make sure it's what you need! I have always insisted on 3rd party on other cars, even when under 25, cause I needed it.

a guy at my dad's work got a coutesy astra (brand new next to no miles) and parked up 100 meters from a parked lorry on the site, he got out and went to talk with the driver, later on the lorry is parked 100 meters back from its original place with the aim of getting some fuel from the site pump

the astra had not been moved and the vauxhall dealer was somewhat ****** off and charging the company for the damage

Phoned them up to double-check before I took my car down this evening, and they still operate an insurance policy under the dealership, and it incurs a £10 (a day) charge.

Otherwise, I can insure under my policy. Still annoying that I should have to pay £10 for a courtesy car, but ti'll work out cheaper than putting it on my policy.

For some bizarre reason, Elephant will only insure it for a week!

Phoned them up to double-check before I took my car down this evening, and they still operate an insurance policy under the dealership, and it incurs a £10 (a day) charge.

Otherwise, I can insure under my policy. Still annoying that I should have to pay £10 for a courtesy car, but ti'll work out cheaper than putting it on my policy.

For some bizarre reason, Elephant will only insure it for a week!

Well I've finally booked mine in next week for its 50k service for £120 and I got a courtesy car with a £10 admin fee!

It's a corolla colour collection :D!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links