Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Coaster

tomdalybilstein

Hi there

I have recently purchased a 1989 Toyota Coaster midi coach with Savador Caetanoe 21 seat body for preservation.

Does anybody know of anybody else preserving one of these?

I desperately need a workshop manual and parts list. Does anybody have one or know where I can get one?

Does anybody know a cheap source of spares?

The chassis number is HB310001746 Engine number is 12H1158427.

Thanks for your time

Tom

Hi Tom,

Welcome to TOC.

Never heard of a Coaster myself - so probably not much help.

I'd have thought that you could get the workshop manual from your local Toyota Parts department though.

Apart from that, all I can say is Good Luck with the project.

Rich

• 4 years later...

Hi Tom.

I'm probably a bit late posting this reply as I see the date on yours is a long time ago.

I have just found this site/forum and noticed your post regarding a 1989 Toyota Coaster midi coach.

I assume you are in UK going by the replies you've received.

Sounds like they are rare in UK, well they are very common down here in Australia, in fact they are the most popular small bus to convert to a motorhome or motor camper as I think you call them.

The one 21 seater that's pictured on here from Nissanman is a 1992/2002 model in Australia.

I have a 1989 short wheelbase Coaster that I converted in 2002 and have used it ever since then to tour the country.

Mine has a 2.4 litre 4 cylinder petrol motor liken the Toyota Hi-Lux.or Hi -Ace.

Most of these were imported from Japan and used as School buses before being retired and then they were mainly converted to Motorhomes.

They are very popular in the outback areas of Aust. as they have proved to be very reliable, I have just fitted mine with a fully rebuilt motor, the original one did 380,000 kilometers.

I have added a couple of pictures of mine for you to compair with your 1989 model.

Regards from Aust. Al.

post-95100-127638972213_thumb.jpg

post-95100-127638975404_thumb.jpg

post-95100-127638982547_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Tom.

I'm probably a bit late posting this reply as I see the date on yours is a long time ago.

I have just found this site/forum and noticed your post regarding a 1989 Toyota Coaster midi coach.

I assume you are in UK going by the replies you've received.

Sounds like they are rare in UK, well they are very common down here in Australia, in fact they are the most popular small bus to convert to a motorhome or motor camper as I think you call them.

The one 21 seater that's pictured on here from Nissanman is a 1992/2002 model in Australia.

I have a 1989 short wheelbase Coaster that I converted in 2002 and have used it ever since then to tour the country.

Mine has a 2.4 litre 4 cylinder petrol motor liken the Toyota Hi-Lux.or Hi -Ace.

Most of these were imported from Japan and used as School buses before being retired and then they were mainly converted to Motorhomes.

They are very popular in the outback areas of Aust. as they have proved to be very reliable, I have just fitted mine with a fully rebuilt motor, the original one did 380,000 kilometers.

I have added a couple of pictures of mine for you to compair with your 1989 model.

Regards from Aust. Al.

Welcome to the Forum, Tom & Alpal :D :thumbsup: I hope you enjoy your membership & post often. I would guess that Tom is not from the UK. The replies will be from our 2 Islands as this is TOC UK & Ireland {not mentioned in the title :( ]

I have never heard of them- Coasters, but they look very suitable for conversion. Congratulations on yours, AlPal, It looks brilliant. Pity you hadn't a pic of the state of it before work began.

Hi Bizarra, and thanks for the welcome.

I was actually born in UK in Birmingham but the family emigrated to Australia in Jan. 1953 when I was 11 and I have only been back once ,that was in 2007. We saw most of where I grew up and also spent a lot of time touring up North and staying with an Aunt & Uncle at Thurlestone in South Devon.

As I said previously Coasters are very popular here for motorhome conversions as there are literally thousands of them all over the country.They were mainly used as school buses in country areas or commuter buses at hotels and clubs etc.

I have added a few pics of mine when I first got it although they are old film type pics so a bit "grainy" but give a general idea of what they're like.

I have quiet a few pictures of various Coasters that are in our club,CMCA (Campervan & Motorhome Club of Australia) the one with the name "Dunnarunna 2" is a 1978 model belonging to a friend of mine who is also from UK. London actually.

On Bobs you can see a few differences such as the flatter windscreen.

A few Specifications,1972 to 1982 had 4 cylinder 2 litre petrol or 4 cyl.3 litre diesel with 4 speed column shift gearbox, drum brakes all round with leaf spring suspension.and no power steering.

1982 to 1992 4 cyl. 2.4 litre petrol or 4 cyl.3.4 litre diesel with 5 speed floor shift gearbox, disc brakes on the front and also torsion bar front suspension and power steering making them like driving a big car.

The '82 to '92 also were either Short wheelbase 20ft or long wheelbase 24ft long.The long wheelbase had 6 cylinder 4.2 litre petrol or diesel motors as used in the Toyota Landcruiser 4X4s.the 4.2 litre diesel were also available with a turbo and automatic transmission.

One of the changes I made was to fit Toyota Cressida front seats for abit more comfort as we sometimes travel very long distances over here.

After 1992 the one someone else posted a pic of was a long wheelbase with a 4 litre turbo diesel.

Hope this helps you to identify the bus that is very popular over here,the other two main ones are are Mazda & Nissan Civilians.

Wel it's 11.30 pm down here so time for me to hit the sack as you are all ready for another working day.

Regards Al.

post-95100-127643394141_thumb.jpg

post-95100-127643396776_thumb.jpg

post-95100-12764340188_thumb.jpg

post-95100-127643408087_thumb.jpg

post-95100-127643420808_thumb.jpg

post-95100-127643424847_thumb.jpg

post-95100-127643431522_thumb.jpg

post-95100-127643445048_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

This is my first time posting, I did a google search for toyota coasters having looked at one today and came across this discussion. I live in Ireland and until todasy had never seen nor heard of a toyota coaster. However I went to look at one for sale today and am considering buying it. It is going for 1,800 euro and here is the link, any opinions on if it is worth it would be great, it has a 3.5 deisel engine and some areas of rust but would get by with it for music festivals, is she worth the price???

Cheers Daniel

Link: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/1478092

• 9 years later...

A bit late to the conversation, but does anyone know of Toyota Coaster owners in the UK? 

In Europe the Portuguese coach manufacturer Caetano built coaches on the Coaster chassis - known as the Toyota Caetano.

• 3 years later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links