Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Light Kits Might Be Illegal But

Jinxed

the police havent busted me thus far :thumbsup: had a couple of police cars pull up close and the occupants looked with smiles on. then theyve simply gone on their ways ... go figure but hey its a good thing :) gonna try the friday/saturday night spin thru town and lit up soon as i get brave enough lol mucho polizio

guess its gonna be a copper with an attitude or havin a bad day that breaks the safety illusion if i make it thru the town spin .... pictures of my lil kitten coming soon :thumbsup:

i reckon its the traffic cops that will be the ones who will stop you.

sorry what have you got that might be illegal jinxed mate? not following this lol and you've made me curious :)

its not anything overpowering and spose not technically illegal when turned off as such... but arent lightkits not legal when used on public roads? or does it mean no visible tubes and just light is ok? thought lightkits on public roads was a road violation.... an ps Mr T did a sweet job of putting it on... very very tidy job! kudos to them

as for mot failure ... heh wonder whether ill fail seeing as Mr T fitted them and Mr T will be doing the MOT ....lol gonna be funny to find out.

n yup traffic popo :( dun like them too much but some are aight :thumbsup:

as for piccies :) if we get another nice day tomorrow im gonna be takin a few snaps ... polished her today, valeting interior tomoz. just hafta get them processed and scanned then.... no digi camera sadly :rolleyes:

havent finished with lights yet tho :yes: gonna maybe put a lil bit of light in the vents on the side and light the doorhandles.... thats done then but cant afford bits yet after all the paying out thats gone on so far :rolleyes: cars sweet tho... picks up nice now and .... sounds lot healthier :thumbsup:

what light kits, leds, neons, aftermarket headlights, rear lights ???

light kits could be anything...

leds or neons aren;t illegal unless blue is showing from the car or red from the front and then its only down to the colour....

headlights and rear lights generally ok as long as correct colour and not overpowering....

rice if you ask me. no one had them until saxo's, nova's and fiesta's started using them....... not exactly the type of person you need to be following the trends of is it

In two minds about them, on certain cars in certain conditions I think they can look ok...

Defo not driving around a public road but at a show or lighting for night photo's they can set a car off, trouble is when you get the cheap sets that aren't that light, don;t fit the car (ie to short) or start dancing around the car....

i think they look superb if done properly

and its got sod all to do with saxos and the like, it was bought on by the fast and the furious which was all 'rice'

I quite like undercar and interior lighting when used in the right application.

As far as the law and MOT regs go:

Interior lights are not part of the MOT, with respect to the law, you are causing an offensive if light leaks from your cars inside, IE: passing cars can see all your dash lit up like a christmas tree, or if the actull lamp/bulb/LED is visible to other drivers. The best thing to do is tint your windows ;)

The law around external lighting is a little fuzzy

If you are fitting neons or LEDs to your car, you must adhere to the following

yellow or white on the front

Amber to the side

Red to the rear.

undercar neons will pass MOT as will fog lights, as they are not part of the test. BUT if they are the wrong colour in the wrong places they will be deemed ilegal on public highways.

Coloured side lights, repeaters, head lights ect will fail MOT, as will lenses where the lamp/filiment is visible or they are to bright, head lights that are to high or low will also fail MOT. They are also against the law.

You can have coloured lenses as long as the light given off is correct for that lamp IE: you can have a pink side repeater as long as it gives of amber light.

any form of blue light on a vehicle inside or out is ilegal. Most cops will turn a blind eye to neons, and washer jets, aslong as they are not blue.

If you have BLUE lights on your car, you will be stopped and fined, the police are very strict on people using BLUE lighting.

Remember even if the kits or lamps are 'E' marked it doesnt meen they are road legal.

Also have your neons/LED's ect on an ilsolated supply meening you can turn them off without having to turn your head/side lamps off.

vin

ummm think mines illegal then :D but.... it does look nice.... least i think so(thats the really important bit), as for me following saxos and such erm well the thing is... theyre usually following me or at least trying to :lol: im fairly sure that if ive exceeded the speed limits drastically i dont remember it so it musnt have happened :D

kit was fitted very well and doesnt move at all, no play..... if i had ramps id take some piccies as some ppl who like light kits would defo get some good ideas from how the bloke at Mr T did it. He did a fine job!

it isnt an expensive set in truth, but it did what it said on the box. I didnt want anything garish, dazzling, multi vibrant colour wave splendiferous etc just wanted my now fair nice condition black mr2 set off with a little red glowing.

as for rice....? is that short grain, long grain, pilau or special mushroom rice? lol im not gettin the rice thing.... rice and a good chicken tikka masala is god. several billion chinese people cant be wrong about rice heh

thanks for the rundown on the law vince, i mean that sincerenly... good to see the rules put down :thumbsup:

well i should pe putting up some piccies soon anyhow so itll be positive(even if its negative lol) to get some feedback on how it looks :thumbsup: just break the news im a chav to me gently :P :lol:

oo and as for the isolated supply thing, (aside from an in car on/off as ould be expected)they got fitted with this thing that stops them switching on, or switches them off if the currents below a certain point ensuring that they arent the cause of a flat Battery :thumbsup: chavalogical huh :hokus-pokus:

its just the wrong time of year in my thinking for a light kit lol but hey ....it was free fitted kinda ;)

been pulled twice for having under car lights on the MR2

first said its because the front tube was showing, allowed to show a glow when driving but not the atualy bulb.

2nd time they said no red light at front.

theres no clear law.

what did they do when they pulled you? just warn and let you drive away :) ? or was there .... 'penalties' :( ?

still havent been pulled yet but havent had them on constantly.... just had em on a lil when ive been cruising in prep for a blast moment :ph34r: . guess the police wouldnt mind the kit too much then.... theyed be more concerned with the velocity :lol::thumbsup: im gonna get myself in trouble in this car lololol

first said its because the front tube was showing, allowed to show a glow when driving but not the atualy bulb.

2nd time they said no red light at front.

Hmm both times you have been pulled are for genuine reasons, showing the light source, (tube/lamp/LED) is ilegal. Having Red lights at the front is also ilegal.

But on the first time you should have been pulled for both showing the tube and it bein red, and the second time for red light but showing the tube :wacko:

I think someone should contact the traffic cops and get them to list the offences they will stop you for.

vin

I have actully contacted the Met and the traffic devision today, and they are in the process of writing a piece for us outlining the law on car lighting in particular neons and the such like.

I will post it when i have it.

It may be an idea for admin or a mod to post it in an area where it can be accessed by everyone anytime for reference

vin

wow thats a cool thing to have done vince :yes: just hope the piece isnt one sentence long tho sayin 'Theyre all illegal, and well take your car if youv'e got one' :o

if that was the case theyed hafta catch me VROOOOooom :ph34r:

good thinking tho :thumbsup:

:P that looks sweet, ..... very sweet :D love the headlights... not really keen on the way mine stick up quite so much but and less so on the noise they make goin down, gonna hafta get the wd40 out methinks... theyll do me till i got the cash to make amendments tho :thumbsup:

I really like UV i have UV under my front scoop it looks da bomb :thumbsup: (said in a 50cent style voice)

When installing underbody lighting ect try to pick a colour that complements your car, contrasting colours can work but sometimes dont.

EG: for a black car You want to be using deep saturates like Red, Blue, Purple(UV)

Try to stick to one colour light throughout your car, other wise you might aswell don a spangly shirt and a mullet :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links