Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Turbo

fzr400

Hi Guys,

has anyone change pistons while the bottom end of the engine is still in the car, i.e., the head is off, and it looks like the rings or pistons need changing, I know this isnt thr right way to do this but Im in a rush and need to put the car back on the road asap.

I was hoping to take the sump off then undo the conrods then pull out the pistons through the top as the head is already off,

anybody done this or think it will work or definately wont

cheers

Jon

has the block been scored because if it has you need a slight rebore and larger pistons. i cracked a piston ring which scored the cylinder wall and meant the need for larger pistons, which i'm still debating which ones to get

You can’t take the pistons out from underneath, even if you could you wouldn’t get them past the crankshaft.

Yes you can remove the pistons after splitting the end cap (don’t mix these up as they are a machined pair with the conrod)

I f the pistons and rings are so badly worn that they need replacing then you might as well send me the money that you will spend on it because you would be throwing it away anyhow!

If the bores are in good condition and not scored or oval then you can re-ring (with pistons if the grooves are bad), but don’t forget to glaze bust (hone) the bores or you could send me that money again!.

When glaze busting, cover the crankshaft journals up and thoroughly clean off afterwards

:thumbsup:

thanks for the replies guys,

Im looking at a car that smokes a bit but didnt rattle, it wasnt the turbo nor the head gasket, so while the head is off I was gonna do the valve seals, plus the rings, hopefully not pistons as I may as well change the engine

I havent seen it yet, so it may be bag of spuds!

but my answer is "the sump comes off while engine and box in situ and can undo the conrods and pull the pistons out through the top"?

but will take your advice Giddlepin if the bores are rough, then I wont bother as another engine is gonna be £400 at least, and a H plate turbo will not be worth a great deal after Ive bought it done the engine and tried to make a bit of money, plus a few hundred quid for Giddlepin :D

thanks again

jon

Dont get why they cant come out the bottom, if the cons and crank are removed ?

Have never sean inside a sump, but didnt realize anything was blocking the pistons !

Well I didnt think they would get past the crank, but to remove the crank Im going to have to take the bottom end engine and box out, and this is something I really dont want to do,

thanks for the help guys

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links