Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Track Days

dj_davo

i would like to start doing some track day events and notice that rhaines' and a few others regularly do them.

what sort of cost is usually involved? and how much notice / how frequent can u do a track day?

is the track day cover from dorset simply a case of ringing up and being covered? as im probably gonna renew with them.

Track Days can cost anything from £20 for 5 laps or 15 minutesif your at a CCC Day or something like Japfest where no notice is needed upto £160+ for an open pit day at a track like Donnington or an airfield day where you would need to book in advance.

Airfield days are agood idea to build up your confidence in the car as trackdays depending on whose going can be a bit manic...

If your after a track day try have a look at www.bookatrack.com, there are numerous track companies out there but Bookatrack seem to bve the best in terms of cost and safety as they are strick on track etiquette so you don't get many muppets putting opthers at risk, if they dop they're banned from the track.

If you're with Dorset all you need to do is phone them up and give them the date your on track.

Castle combe do track days for 140 quid, book in advance, full training and professonal guidance (if wanted)... guaranteed only 6 cars on track at a time...

Guest Calum

If your just playing around in your car before you go to a proper track day/meet, you can always try disused airfields for a bit of fun.

There are disused airfields all over the country, some in mint condition, though its always worth driving the airfield at a slow speed to check it out before racing down it as fast as you can. Any decent bump at 140mph feels like your hitting a bus!

Perosnally wouldn't recommend dirivng hard on any dissused track day, it can be very awkward in case of a problem with the car and no saftey comforts which are always provided by the official airfield days....

Also, it is still tresspassing...

Even a disused airfield is still the property of the MoD (or previous owner), and due to the nature of the site, they are considered emergency landing strips (BTW, my Mum is ATC, thats how I know this).. and if you are caught on one, then you are likely to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law..

This stands even for sites which are easily accessed.

thx fellas, the airfield idea sounds the best as i want to get to grips with my tubby and throw her about a bit before i hit the tracks!

i would like perhaps 1 session with a pro to show me a few tricks. if you go to a track day (or official airfield) as a novice (as i would be), do u get a free lesson or does it always cost? - how much?

depends on where you go, I'm quietly giggling becasue a month ago I sounded exactly the same with the same questions....

I turned up with some friends from IMOC for a CCC Day and got told I'ld be ok on track having never done it before, I nervously got on track nd was by far the slowest there, I kept going out again and you get better and better, just take it at your own pace, you will get quicker....

Only problem now is I am addicted to the tracks, don't have enough cash to do it as much as I would like (every day if I had the chance) and have killed my rear tyres after approx 5k....

You'll have the time of your life, want to do it over and over and get peeved when you can't live on track....

Oh be careful of the hidden costs... tyre's, brakes, oil etc etc....

heheh sounds good rhaines, i cant wait to have a go. am i right in thinking that the tracks are wide enough so if i get a nasty twitch and the back end takes me on a mystery tour i shouldnt hit anything?

would hate to hurt my tubby. :crybaby:

Only problem now is I am addicted to the tracks, don't have enough cash to do it as much as I would like (every day if I had the chance) and have killed my rear tyres after approx 5k....

5k? Wow!What I wouldn't give to have my bike tyres last half as long!

Depends on what track you do, some have nasty armco bits...

Donnington is good for run off and Combe is amazing as long as your careful around Quarry, foir example I amanged a 720 (in the wet) at Combe coming out of the Esses and miraculously managed to end up facing the right way still on the track, how I don't know, it definately wasn't down to the driver

:D