Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starlet 4a-ge Conversion

grant 84

:help: i really want to dropa 1600 4a-ge into my 1996 starlet but i was wondering how hard it would be. there is a corolla which has a 1332 starlet engine so it cant be that hard.i know i waould have to use corolla brakes and suspension but what i really wanted to know was, does it fit straight in with little hastle. any help appreciated.

I think you'd be best going with the 4E-FTE from the GT Turbo/ Glanza, that should fit easier than the 4A-GE (i think) im sure someone will clarify this soon :thumbsup:

Could one of the mods please move this to the Paseo/Sera/starlet forum?

as jones said - i'd also recomend doing the 4efte swap mate.

if the starlets anything like the paseo its going to take a lot to drop the 4age motor in the bay.

you need custom mounts, and from memory the gearbox is different.

J

:help: i really want to dropa 1600 4a-ge into my 1996 starlet but i was wondering how hard it would be. there is a corolla which has a 1332 starlet engine so it cant be that hard.i know i waould have to use corolla brakes and suspension but what i really wanted to know was, does it fit straight in with little hastle. any help appreciated.

the starlet uses the "e" series engines.the starlet gt motor is an "e"series engine,therefore it will fit into theengine bay on its existing mounts. the 4age is an "a" series engine, so it was never made to go into that chassis. it can be done, but is likely to take longer and cost a lot more. the starlet gt/glanza engine is the smart choice for the starlet chassis, but if you want to be different from the crowd, the 4age is the way to go.

if the gear box's are different cant i put a 4A-ge engine and gearbox in the starlet and put the standard 4age drive shafts into corolla hubs and suspension.

well i think i can get a corolla engine cheaper than a turbo engine and wont the insurance be cheaper than a turbo motor.

if the gear box's are different cant i put a 4A-ge engine and gearbox in the starlet and put the standard 4age drive shafts into corolla hubs and suspension.

yes, if you are putting in a 4age, that is the way you would go. the mounts would need to be modified or fabricated from scratch. the driveshafts might need to be shortened. splicing a 4age loom with a 4efe loom would be more involved than doing the same thing with a starlet gt engine.... but thats the price you pay for being individual.

andrew from www.toyotasera.co.uk knows the 4efte swap inside out at this stage. i'm sure he will give u the lowdown.

the most imprtant thing, is to have a complete donor car, rather than parts.

thanks for your help i forgot about the loom but i was planning on getting a whole corolla to use for the conversion.

This is pretty major work.

The A series and E series engines are different so you will have to design and make new engine mounts that will be strong enough to hold the engine, when stopped and strong enough not to be ripped out by the torque of the engine when moving

You will possibly have to rewire the front end of the car, the ECUs are different and there are probably 100+ wires to modify.

You will possibly have to modify the driveshafts, brakes, suspension, uprights, cooling system, exhaust

Lots of time, trouble and money...

A much easier propostion would be the 4E-FTE engine. This shares the same engine and gearbox mounts, the driveshafts will fit without any modification and most of the wiring is there and will not need changing. It can be done quickly and quite cheaply and there are lots of people who have done this to ask questions.

Out of the two I would and have done the 4E-FTE swap several times.

** ENGINE SWAPS ARE MUCH HARDER THAN THE GENERAL PUBLIC ASSUME **

** ENGINE SWAPS ARE MUCH HARDER THAN THE GENERAL PUBLIC ASSUME **

i second that!!!! :yes:

Rich.

i'd third that :P

even though i haven't done one myself - i know people who have & its a mare...

J

well i think i can get a corolla engine cheaper than a turbo engine and wont the insurance be cheaper than a turbo motor.

The money that you save on engine and insurance will probably be less than it costs for custom mounts etc

in the bigger picture of things the 4ag swap is not as hard as some of the conversions out there,

its just when you put it along side the simplicity of the 4e - fte swap people just dont want to know.

one of the three mounts (gearbox mount) lines up already so it would be just a case of offering up the engine to get the position of the other two.

the wiring on the other hand is another issue but,

where there is a will there is a way,

this conversion has been done many a time abroad so dont let any negative coments disway you.

pm me and i could put you in contact with a person willing to do the job at a reasnable price

thanks youve helped, i just to make two out of three mounts i didnt even know that yesterday :) i intend to do the conversion( welding and fabrication) myself so i dont need to worry about the cost of the conversion. just the engine and insurance. but out of interest could you let me know who and where i could get the conversion done. thanks

jbm engines sell everything you need to do the conversion.

on the pricey side though.

are you going for the silver or black top?

thanks for your help ill try and get a quote and go from there.isnt the silver top a 16 valve and the black top 20 valve, i was going to get the 16 valve,i dont want to pay stupid money for an engine wen the starlet doesnt need that much power to go fast because its so light, plus i intent taking the interior out to save weight.

Changing from the 4E series will be difficult, trust me, especially when few English speaking people have done it. With the 4E-FTE conversion you can pick up the phone and talk to half a dozen people in the UK who have done it, and done it successfully.

• 1 month later...

i must missed some fun here,

both 4E and 4A engine can been found from 92-98 corolla

also i have seen 4E-FTE engine has been fit in AE100 corolla

and people conert from 1.3 to 1.6

can't think why not let him try to fit 4A-GE engine in corolla,

also silver or black top, they both with 20 valves head,

only the very old 4A-GE with 16V which bulit before 1992 corolla

of cause the 4E-FTE conversion could be easier, because we seen people done it in UK, and standard 4E-FTE can be found from starlet

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links