Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towing Noseweight

peterbalcombe

I like to buy my cars about 2.5 to 3 years old and to run them for about 4 years. As I am not a high mileage user (only about 8000 pa) I can start with a car with slightly above average miles and it will be average when i move it on. I have been very happy with my 1999 Avensis TD estate and am seriously considering replacing it with the more modern equivalent. However I understand that the noseweight limit for the later style Avensis is only 55kg not the 75kg of my car which would cause problems as I have a caravan. Any useful comments anyone? :wacko:

Looking at my manual for a 2005 model:

1.8 petrol and 2.0 diesel = 52 kg

2.0 petrol = 56 kg

So you're certainly somewhere near the mark, even if I read the engine numbers wrong.

What's your caravans unladen nose weight then? If it falls inside that then you are ok, cause you can always load it to keep a set nose weight by standing the nose on a pair of bathroom scales or similar.

Just say if my answer was a little obvious, it's the only thing I could think of.

Basically it is possible to alter the noseweight of the caravan by the way it is loaded although "backloading" to offset an overheavy noseweight seriously risks instability of the unit and the dreaded snaking. Most caravaners will want to go (within reason) towards the highest noseweight loading consistent with the permissable caravan drawbar and car noseweight loadings. I think the ideal is supposed to be about 7%(?) of the loaded weight of the caravan which for my present van would be about 74kg. Certainly loaded normally my caravan tends towards 75kg rather than 50kg. 50 kg or so seemsto me unnacceptably light but do others have a view?

Just had an idea (clutching at straws) -- could it be the Toyota towbar? People up my way all pay nearly twice the price for a Kovil. It's certainly more heavy duty in itself.

Incidentally, towing a trailer without brakes is max 500 kg, with brakes 1300/1400 kg. A lot of cars seem to be like that. An exception was the Primera at 750 kg without brakes (part of my buying research a few months back).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links