Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Are There So Few Manual Gearbox Previas

TeresaTT

I want to buy a second hand Previa and find that those available all come with an automatic gearbox. Does no one buy Previas with manual transmission? Is the automatic version so much better?

I want to buy a second hand Previa and find that those available all come with an automatic gearbox.  Does no one buy Previas with manual transmission?  Is the automatic version so much better?

It's certainly much more easier and less tiring to drive for such a big thing

Thank you for the reply. I've only test driven the automatic so I'd like to try a manual, but I don't think I'll find one to try. I couldn't even find a single Previa to look at here in the Midlands.

Thank you for the reply.  I've only test driven the automatic so I'd like to try a manual, but I don't think I'll find one to try.  I couldn't even find a single Previa to look at here in the Midlands.

hello TT. i joined today and want to buy a t3 or a spirit but can't decide if diesel or petrol is the way to go? its hard isn't it to find what you want when you want it. lol, we are looking for a t3 or spirit in blue, the diesels are really hard to trace? i looked on the topgear website and they say that the manual is a little noisey compaired to the lazy but brilliant auto, i don't know but i will be probably going for auto, never owned one before, and the diesel doesn't come in auto. :censor: its so confusing. lol. we are from oldbury not far from you. small world.

I think that the general consensus is that the automatic is easier to drive so I'll probably go for one of those.

I have the option to lease a new one on the Motability scheme as my son has full DLA mobility allowance. It's a nightmare trying to work out all the different ways to finance this car and decide which is the best way to go.

I think that the general consensus is that the automatic is easier to drive so I'll probably go for one of those.

I have the option to lease a new one on the Motability scheme as my son has full DLA mobility allowance.  It's a nightmare trying to work out all the different ways to finance this car and decide which is the best way to go.

if its auto you want you will only get it in petrol models.

if it's diesel your after they only do a manual box for that. :thumbsup:

you could always go for the older model Previa with an autogas conversion. I have a 95 GL with the manual box (a bit notchy being the only problem) running on LPG at 32p a litre and it is by far the ultimate vehicle for driving and does the equivalent of 60 MPG which is miles better than the diesels.

We've got an 02 petrol/manual Previa and we both find it very easy to drive so the auto must be a breeze! The clutch isn't at all heavy and the gearchange is much more precise than many other fwd cars I've driven. Combine that with the well balanced power steering and it's easy to forget you're in a large vehicle.

Thank you for the information, Bluebottle. At last I've heard something about a manual Previa. I would prefer a manual, especially as my husband's car will be manual and I'll probably have big problems switching from manual in one car to automatic in the other. I have enough trouble with the indicator and screen wiper sticks on my Carena E as they are on the reverse sides to my husband's car. I am forever wiping my windscreen when I want to indicate to turn. :) Also, the manual is cheaper then the automatic.

I have the option to lease a new one on the Motability scheme as my son has full DLA mobility allowance.  It's a nightmare trying to work out all the different ways to finance this car and decide which is the best way to go.

Hi Teresa

We are in exactly the same position as you re. DLA etc., and yes it is a nightmare with all the possible combinations and methods! We bought an '02 petrol auto when we wanted originally a diesel, but with the price of diesel now being more than unleaded I don't think there is likely to be too much difference in running costs. I also find autos the best on a car of this size, and it really is easy to drive. We imported one direct from Japan ourselves, and will have saved a fair bit on cost compared to a Uk bought one, although obviously it's a bit more involved and the re-sale value may or may not be affected when we come to change it. Having said that you can get them with really low mileage (ours is only just on 10k) and in superb condition. We're more than happy with its space and overall suitability for the job we need it to do, and I just don't think there are any comparable cars on the market, be they on sale here or imported. :)

Thank you Glanma. We are very probably going to go for a Motability lease as the advanced payment will be a lot less than any deposit we would need even for a second hand one and the monthly lease payments will be a lot lower than a loan. The overall cost will be more but the lower upfront and monthly costs will be much more manageable.

As the car will not be used for commuting in traffic jams, we will probably go for the manual. We'll also go for the petrol, because as you say, there probably isn't such a big running cost saving. Also, the advanced payment for a diesl previa is almost £2000 more than that for a petrol and there is no way we could save that over a three year lease doing just 10,000 miles a year.

• 1 month later...

My previa is the 2nd vehicle that I have with auto. Quite frankly I would never go back to manual. I tow a very large caravan and the previa auto pulls much beter than one of my previous volvos 240 manual with th same engine size.

Go for auto I say