Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting An Aftermarket Headunit To A Yaris

Yarisboy

My Yaris had a tape player as stock, i'm not sure how much different it is if you have a CD player as stock, I can only guess it is pretty similar.

I'm fairly sure you can fit more or less any single DIN unit to the yaris, my choice was a Pioneer deh-3400r which wasn't the easiest unit to fit but i'll get to that later.

What you need

Decent philips screwdriver

small flat head screwdriver (some of the connectors are hard to pull apart when the dash is off, you might want to use this to help lever them off)

PC2-17-4 Car audio connector (this can be bought from Halfords at £11.99 and you need this to connect your headunit to the yaris)

*Note* remove the key from ignition while you are installing the headunit. Otherwise you risk blowing a fuse like I did which leads to immense frustration which you don't need :D

Taking the dash off

There are two stages involved in taking off the dash completely in order to get to the slot where you will put your head unit, the small black cash box under the existing tape/cd player.

Stage 1)

There are 3 heater knobs, the ones that control the direction of air, the speed of the air, and the heat - pull the 1st and 2nd ones off. They come off quite easily and push back on when you are finished.

Now you will see 2 screws where the heater knobs were, unscrew them and put them in a safe place.

Now the top part of the dash is only held on by clips, to remove this part of the dash simply take hold of either side of the top part of the dash and pull sharply. There are 2 hooks as the top which are quite awkward, try moving it around at the top and you will unhook the top dash completely.

Now behind the top dash there are some connectors, this is where you can use the flat head screwdriver to aid u in pulling them out. Push down on the release button and pull to remove each connector. You can't put them back in the wrong slots when you come to putting the dash back together so don't worry about it.

When the top dash is totally free rest it on the passenger seat or somewhere out of the way.

Stage 2)

This stage is removing the lower dash, to do this first remove the ash tray.

You will see 2 screws where the ash tray was, unscrew these and keep them safe.

Where you removed the top dash there is now a white plastic frame which is held on by 3 clips, 2 on either side and one on the top, unclip this completely and move it up slightly, you can now see 2 more screws holding the bottom dash in place, just under the plastic frame.

Unscrew these and you can now remove the bottom dash with a sharp tug, same way in how you removed the top.

more connectors and wires similar to the top dash can be found behind the lower dash, unplug these and you haae a free floating lower dash.

Unscrew the screws that hold the black cash box in place and get rid of that, you should be able to now insert the headunit from the back and screw it in place.

However if like me your headunit is too fat to go in from either the front or back then you may have to cut away at the edges of the hole a little to square it up, a sharp knife is best for this. A little at a time will ensure you don't cut too much, it's really just trial and error.

Once the headunit is in and secured with screws simply use the PC2-17-4 adaptor to plug the connectors into the back of the new headunit as well as the power, make sure it all works by turning the ignition on.

Congratulations you've installed an aftermarket CD player into your yaris! :group-cuddles:

put all the connectors and screws back, re-attach both parts of the dash and you're done!! :yes:

If there are any questions you have please don't hesitate to pm me

Sam

Superb write up matey....

Hope more users get the same idea and do something similar for any mods they do to the car as would be very helpful for other members of the club :)

Nice one :thumbsup:

Hi. I took the top part of the dash off yesterday, just to check if I can do it, no problems with that. The thing I don't yet quite understand is how to make the right connections.

First, my JVC KD-S70R has a place for square connector (16 wires, 13 of them are in use). I am not sure if this PC2-17-4 Car audio connector is the right one for me.

Second, where do I put the other end of this connection cable?

Third, you told that clock and temp meter will still work after this installation, will this "fuel consumtion feature" still work? And what about the original radio?

Sorry I am asking these stupid questions!!!

Tim

nice write up yarisboy. almost as good as my one :P

anyway, tim, the conector is an ISO. which means that it will fit to any after market head unit that is ISO compatable. and im 99% sure your is..

its a little connector that fits onto the wiring on your car and converts it to ISO so it fits your CD player..

if you click the how to link in my sig theres a link about the connectors. go have a look. any more probs. pm me.

If you're still stuck m8 just ask Rick or myself about ur problem :)

the fuel consumption will still work yes, the original radio will not

however ur new cd/tuner is likely to have a much better radio reception anyway :D:D:D

• 1 month later...

Im new to this car stuff.....ive just brought my first car ...a yaris and will be looking to fit a decent headunit. Would it be advisible to take the -ve connection off the Battery while fitting or does no current flow when the keys not in??

How much of the dash comes off?? I dont suppose anyone has any picture of their install etc.

Thanks.

Konsoul, Just make sure your key is not in the ignition when you're doing this, that's how I blew some fuses... If the key is not in the ignition you will be fine, disconnecting the -ve Battery is probably a little excessive :)

the entire centre dash comes off, as described in the wrte up above

just follow the instructions and you'll get the hang of it very quickly, it's easy!

any problems just pm me :yes:

sam

yeah, just the keys out will sort it.

and not the whole dash. just the centre bit (heter controls, heater vents, screen. you must know the bit..)

Yeah ....i kniw the bit now....i wernt too sure cause i dont actully get the car till sat.....ill post pics when im done...yey.

Good write up :thumbsup:

Mine had the CD player as standard, and wasn't much different to what you said is needed for the tape unit. My head unit (Sony) was a bit too big for the hole so that needed to be enlarged slightly to get it to fit.

• 4 months later...

Ive fitted my head unit exactly as discribed however im having major problems with my sound all i get is a very bad crackling noise from the front left speaker ive connected the two smallest connectors to the ISO connector but im still left with a large one in the back of the tape deck, could this be the problem or is it something else if any one knows what up PLEASE get in contact

thanks a mill!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

Seems to me that this is a very awkward way of changing the radio, the way i did it in the GF car was to order a type II dash surround fro the car from toyota which accepts a double din H/Unit to which a RAV 4 Double din to Single din Convertor fits.

Thus you can remove the old head unit completley and hyave a small storage hole underneath making a much neater finish in my opinion. I will take some photos at the weeend as i a m removing the assembley before the car is traded against a T- Sport.

Jon

Hi there, i have a standard yaris cd player. And i have just bought an amplifier, was wondering what is the easiest way to wire it up to the back of the cd player?

• 1 year later...

OK....a bit of help please.

I installed an aftermarket headunit yesterday (Used the fascia surround, so the old tape deck has gone!), and everything works perfectly except I think I may have gone wrong with the clock and other stuff on the little screen. The time comes up, but it will never be able to be changed because the buttons that used to control the tape deck don't work.

Have I somehow forgotten about a wire during the fitting-everything-back-together process?!

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I removed the dash both top and bottom half from my yaris and got to the standard tape unit. I disconnected the 3 main cables from the back. I understand that only the 2 of the cables go to the PC2-17-4 adapter am i right??

I connected my Alpine Headunit and the Speakers crackle and the head unit begins to give out smoke.

Whats could be wrong?? Help

Dipso

• 9 months later...

Just wanted to say a big thankyou to Sam for posting this guide. Used it to fit a Sony CDX-GT300 to my 2001 Yaris SR today, and the guide was flawless. If I'd realised how straightforward it would be, I'd have done it years ago :-) Didn't even need to do any cutting - the Sony just slotted in.

Just need to do the door Speakers now ...

• 1 year later...

I have a phase 2 Yaris with the teardrop headlights. I want to install a new car stereo as I currently have the standard cassette tape one. I'm looking to do this myself as I can get a cheap stereo from work for about £40-£50. Looking to get either the Kenwood KDC-W311A or Fli Swat 5. Would these fit ok into the cash tray? Would I still need to buy a fascia even though the stereo is fitting into the existing slot? Is this easy to do as I or none of my family have ever fitted a car stereo and I don't wanna risk doing any damage to my car. Any advice would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

want to install a new car stereo as I currently have the standard cassette tape one i was wondoing if i could get 1 form halfordsand thay fit it but i hurd it was to hard 4 them 2 fit thanks bye

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there, I removed the dash both top and bottom half from my yaris and got to the standard tape unit. I disconnected the 3 main cables from the back. I understand that only the 2 of the cables go to the PC2-17-4 adapter am i right??

I connected my Alpine Headunit and the speakers crackle and the head unit begins to give out smoke.

Whats could be wrong?? Help

Dipso

Double check that the Head unit is supposed to be wired up as a negative earth, sound like some sort of short circuit problem to me, if the cd player is blowing smoke out i would of thought it's useless now anyways....

does anybody know the part number for the fascia surround from mr. t i have the din adapter from a rav4 already.

• 3 years later...

Sam

How does this affect the old head with the temp readout etc??

Guy

My Yaris had a tape player as stock, i'm not sure how much different it is if you have a CD player as stock, I can only guess it is pretty similar.

I'm fairly sure you can fit more or less any single DIN unit to the yaris, my choice was a Pioneer deh-3400r which wasn't the easiest unit to fit but i'll get to that later.

What you need

Decent philips screwdriver

small flat head screwdriver (some of the connectors are hard to pull apart when the dash is off, you might want to use this to help lever them off)

PC2-17-4 Car audio connector (this can be bought from halfords at £11.99 and you need this to connect your headunit to the yaris)

*Note* remove the key from ignition while you are installing the headunit. Otherwise you risk blowing a fuse like I did which leads to immense frustration which you don't need :D

Taking the dash off

There are two stages involved in taking off the dash completely in order to get to the slot where you will put your head unit, the small black cash box under the existing tape/cd player.

Stage 1)

There are 3 heater knobs, the ones that control the direction of air, the speed of the air, and the heat - pull the 1st and 2nd ones off. They come off quite easily and push back on when you are finished.

Now you will see 2 screws where the heater knobs were, unscrew them and put them in a safe place.

Now the top part of the dash is only held on by clips, to remove this part of the dash simply take hold of either side of the top part of the dash and pull sharply. There are 2 hooks as the top which are quite awkward, try moving it around at the top and you will unhook the top dash completely.

Now behind the top dash there are some connectors, this is where you can use the flat head screwdriver to aid u in pulling them out. Push down on the release button and pull to remove each connector. You can't put them back in the wrong slots when you come to putting the dash back together so don't worry about it.

When the top dash is totally free rest it on the passenger seat or somewhere out of the way.

Stage 2)

This stage is removing the lower dash, to do this first remove the ash tray.

You will see 2 screws where the ash tray was, unscrew these and keep them safe.

Where you removed the top dash there is now a white plastic frame which is held on by 3 clips, 2 on either side and one on the top, unclip this completely and move it up slightly, you can now see 2 more screws holding the bottom dash in place, just under the plastic frame.

Unscrew these and you can now remove the bottom dash with a sharp tug, same way in how you removed the top.

more connectors and wires similar to the top dash can be found behind the lower dash, unplug these and you haae a free floating lower dash.

Unscrew the screws that hold the black cash box in place and get rid of that, you should be able to now insert the headunit from the back and screw it in place.

However if like me your headunit is too fat to go in from either the front or back then you may have to cut away at the edges of the hole a little to square it up, a sharp knife is best for this. A little at a time will ensure you don't cut too much, it's really just trial and error.

Once the headunit is in and secured with screws simply use the PC2-17-4 adaptor to plug the connectors into the back of the new headunit as well as the power, make sure it all works by turning the ignition on.

Congratulations you've installed an aftermarket CD player into your yaris! :group-cuddles:

put all the connectors and screws back, re-attach both parts of the dash and you're done!! :yes:

If there are any questions you have please don't hesitate to pm me

Sam