Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Please Help..... Car Wont Start

chris23

Hi guys :help:

Been having troble since this cold weather started. Just to let you know im car illiterate (however you spell it).

Ok the problem is when i go to start it the starter motor just clicks away for ages, as though it is not even trying to turn the engine. After about 10 secs the Battery goes flat. When i jump start it, it seems as though the starter still doesnt turn the engine (or however it works) for another 30-60 secs then when the engine gets turning it takes about a minute for her to even think about fireing up.

Do you think it could be a Battery problem as when i get in it and turn on ignition the Battery metre is only about three quarters of the way to the top. Its never at the top though, is this correct? Its got a 12V battery in but the dash gauge says 18V, that dont make sense to me :wacko:

Or does it sound like starter has had it?

Thanks for help people :thumbsup:

cold weather can make a car very hard to start mate. Mine struggled last year until I got a new Battery.

Goto some garage and get them to test the Battery for you, it shouldn't cost you anything. Then goto Halfords and buy a big meaty one. Should do the trick!! ... :)

The thing that's clicking is probably the solenoid (which is just a big switch that turns on the power to the starter motor). Your problem could be the Battery or the ignition circuit or the motor itself.

If you could jump start it without problems from another car then I'd say it was definitely the Battery (or the charging circuit to the battery), but if you're having problems even when you're jump starting it, then I think it's probably more than just your Battery. Check all the connections are in good condition first - clean them and apply petroleum jelly to keep them clean.

my car was doing that clicking noise when trying to start it a little while ago

so i changed the starter motor and it was perfect again

Hellooooo again.

Ok replaced Battery last night (one of those calcium heavy duty jobbies :D )and this morning she still sruggled to fire :angry: , but it wasnt that cold this morning so im sure time will tell.

Ha just been through car wash and :ffs: :censor: i got SOAKED. Tried using some of that silicone spray on t bar other week and it seemed to do the trick when it was raining, but today in car wash i might as well have had the window open. Any ideas what i can try now? It was leaking all the way along the window. Could the window have dropped slightly?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links