Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aux Drive Belt/tensioner

Spuffington

Hi guys,

I had my aux drive belt tensioner replaced by Mr T back in May time (about 6k ago) and I've just noticed the squealing has come back again (now on 16k). The car is just only 14months old. :(

I remember you guys telling me it was a common fault, but has anyone had this problem as a re-occuring one? Shame, as I was starting think the thing had bedded in and problems were all done and dusted.

Cheers,

Dunk

Yes, I've had this problem on the gen7, exactly the same circumstances to yours.

The truth is that (most likely), there was/is nothing wrong with your tensioner pulley other than the bearing needs lubricating. For some reason they need regular lubrication (maybe they are located where they get engine heat or the bearing is open to the elements.

It is quite possible that they never replaced the tensioner pulley last time, all they did was oil it so the noise went away. Try spraying WD-40 or similar into the pulley bearing (whilst the engine is running if possible).

When my Mum took hers in for a service and complained about the squealing pulley (about 6k old), they offered to replace it for the price of ~£250. We told them to get stuffed. When the car came back it was silent. The bearing hadn't been changed and the Mr T bloke that brought it back said it was quite common on all modern toyotas, and they just need oiling. It seems the dealers are quite happy to sell you a new pulley each time. :o

Just had my belt and tensioner changed, and have now been told that it is the alternator..... £320 + vat + fitting... no way... i have breakdown insurance with lumley so they are going to get it replaced quicker and cheaper than mr T...

Cheers for that guys - I'll see what Mr T says in Jan. Also, will try giving a squirt of WD40 and see what that does.

Not too bothered whether it needs replacing or not at the mo as it's still under warranty. But I'll be p*ssed if it keeps happening and I end up having to pay for it myself once it's three years old!! :angry:

You won't have to. Just keep a track of how often it has to be repaired and when (You're dealer should keep all of this anyway so you should be able to get a print out). If the fault keeps reoccuring then make sure you complain and they should treat it as an ongoing issue (i.e. they didn't get it fixed right in the first place).

The log of the repairs is useful if the dealer is awkward and you have to go to TGB.

Alot of this is to do with the belt as Toyota uses cheap crappy Mitchibuchi belts try using a Goodyear Gater back belt in 80% of cases this will cure the squeel. Alot of it is also to do with the tensioner itsself being automatic rather than a manual set is just a bad design IMHO. Also if doing anywork to the tensioner and belt don't use corner sockets, but flat hex ones else you will round the corners off the tensioning nut. WHere Toyota designers have use soft materials.

Have now had a new alternator fitted, new belt and new tensioner, and i still have the squeal........... driving me mad now!!!!

Local garage have said it looks like the new tensioner is not pulling tight enough.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links