Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Boost Amounts

Markturbo

hi i have a rev2 turbo with apexi induction kit 3" downpipe hks exhaust boost turned upto a bar by a mbc

just wondering when i read people saying they are running 1.2 bar of boost what extra would i need to safely do this

also my turbo has been rebuilt using steel internals don't know if that makes a difference

IMO 1.2 bar on a CT26 (steel internals or not) is a tad to high. IF you want to do that safely you would definitly require an aftermarket intercooler & probably something to help with fueling (safc and or an aftermarket pfr) but you it would still be a bit of a risk.

In short bursts it would probably be ok with just an aftermarket intercooler but any sustained boosting at those levels would be bad.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

just to allow me to understand......

can you explain how and why boosting at these levels and maybe indeed more... what problems are likely to arise?

future knowledge on power upgrading :P

The Type II only has 440c injectors, boosting 1.2 bar would push the fueling up towards it limits (probably result in quite high A/R's with no fuel mapping to that level) and the turbo pushing that amount of boost would make it very hot, not good. Being Steel wheeled it would probably not blow apart but probaby wouldn't be very efficient.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

just to allow me to understand......

can you explain how and why boosting at these levels and maybe indeed more... what problems are likely to arise?

future knowledge on power upgrading :P

for a start lad.. the Rev 2 only has the AFM and the Rev 3 has a map sensor.. thats the primary reasion a Rev1/2 should be no where near up at 1.2bar...

A Rev3 owner i know used to run 18Psi on stock internals but with a zorst and filter and he thought it was fine till his engine blew 9 months down the line... :rolleyes:

Although not recommended to run for long periods whatsoever... my car has run at 1.47bar boost with stock turbo. Redesigned IC pipes improved airflow dramatically and reduced restriction... and as far as fuelling is concerned on the Rev3, even running that boost we were still running far too rich on stock injectors and fuel pump.

Turned back down to 1.2bar now... and fitting the race fuel pressure regulator soon to sort over-fuelling issue.

Running HKS intercooler, custom hard pipes with relocated BOV, fibreglass cladding and reflective tape where necessary (after vigorous testing), permanently running IC fan, manifold heat shield heat cladded, Paul Port dual pump water injection system... TRD thermostat to aid cooling + high pressure TRD rad cap... TRD Iridium plugs (1 grade colder for higher boost/internal temps), HKS Racing Suction induction with carbon fibre heat shield, covered in reflective gold leaf... Aussie decat/downpipe. Intercooler water spray to be fitted... engine bay wired with thermocouples to display on dash to monitor whats going on... and a few more bits and bobs...

I wouldn't run 1.2bar on completely stock engine.

for a start lad.. the Rev 2 only has the AFM and the Rev 3 has a map sensor.. thats the primary reasion a Rev1/2 should be no where near up at 1.2bar...

Interestingly enough someone in the US has finally got around to doing some back to back dyno testing with & without the AFM and it seems it less of a restriction as everyone 1st thought it was. Basically shows a 5rwhp difference between an AFM and no AFM at ~300rwhp. Another test was done at ~230rwhp and it was only 3rwhp difference.

A Rev3 owner i know used to run 18Psi on stock internals but with a zorst and filter and he thought it was fine till his engine blew 9 months down the line...

For every horror store there is a good one though.....I mean 18 psi ALL the time is probably a tad excessive BUT I've been running around 16/17 psi for well over a year with just intake & a cat-back exhaust (so the cat is still in there) and have had no issue's and still pushing out 263 rwhp.

ok cheers for the info but is my car fine running a bar of boost all the time thats what its setup at

IMO it should be fine assuming you don't be silly and say for example wait till it's roasting hot out, idle in the heat for 10 mins, then go onto the motorway and boost around flat out in the higher gears for 5 mins....then you will likely do some damage. At the end of the day none of us really know what condition your mototr is in however assuming it is resonably healthy it should be sweet :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

rev 3 still use a ct26? and completely stock as in no fuel cut device or anything? then i think u will only see 12. but if i were to up, nothing passed 15psi.. the rest is just hot air. i believe people have done tests where anything higher than that and the turbo is outflowing itself and not making any power.. i think

rev 3 still use a ct26? and completely stock as in no fuel cut device or anything? then i think u will only see 12. but if i were to up, nothing passed 15psi.. the rest is just hot air. i believe people have done tests where anything higher than that and the turbo is outflowing itself and not making any power.. i think

Type II is CT26, Type III CT20B. See on the Type III the oem boost is 13 psi.

What's the max boost you'd recommend on a completely stock rev3?

I'd leave it all oem if it was stock, do the intake & a full exhaust (including downpipe) and you will see an increase in boost without a boost controller, however you might just need one at that point as you might need to limit the spikes etc on cold nights :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

would it be ok to raise the boost a bit on my rev 3 engine? it is going into a fwd car, has a relatively large fmic, and is in extremely good condition.i also plan on aquamist water injection,fpr,a nice electronic boost controller,and i have an aftermarket manifold and downpipe.(sorry for hi-jacking the thread a little bit.i was meaning to ask this anyway)

would it be ok to raise the boost a bit on my rev 3 engine? it is going into a fwd car, has a relatively large fmic, and is in extremely good condition.i also plan on aquamist water injection,fpr,a nice electronic boost controller,and i have an aftermarket manifold and downpipe.(sorry for hi-jacking the thread a little bit.i was meaning to ask this anyway)

With the fmic & other bit's you mention 16 psi should probably be fine, even the odd stab at 17 or 18 on a nice cold night with decent fuel would probably be ok, I mean that is what Iv'e been running with just intake & cat-back exhaust for over one and a half years.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links