Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gebox Problem

philcook

Hi, I recently bought a Toyota Corolla 1.6 Gti only had 2 months already think it's and awesome car.

Was driving it today and the car kept jumping out 5th when took foot off accelerator any one else had similar problem or an idea as to what could be as it is little annoying hope I don't need new gearbox, booked into my local garage for look on Friday. Wondering if any had any suggestions of things I could look at b4 it goes to garage to check?

Any help would be great

Phil.

You wont need a new box, just a new 5th gear :thumbsup:

Thanks m8, don't think I’ll try that myself though, hopefully won't be too much as got some bodywork planned this month b4 winter sets in and grit and salt get to it. Got rust on couple arches needs new front wing and rear arch cutting out and replaced.

Phil. :thumbsup:

Thanks m8, don't think I’ll try that myself though, hopefully won't be too much as got some bodywork planned this month b4 winter sets in and grit and salt get to it. Got rust on couple arches needs new front wing and rear arch cutting out and replaced.

Phil. :thumbsup:

My Dad used to have a white GTI, awesome car, but rust got to that on the inner rear arches, and therefore killed it :(

He works for Toyota, and says that 5th can be replaced without taking the gearbox off :eek: apparantly if you drop it down enough to get the end cover off, you can get to the 5th gear, if that makes sense :D

Mike

Hi, I recently bought a Toyota Corolla 1.6 Gti only had 2 months already think it's and awesome car.

Was driving it today and the car kept jumping out 5th when took foot off accelerator any one else had similar problem or an idea as to what could be as it is little annoying hope I don't need new gearbox, booked into my local garage for look on Friday.  Wondering if any had any suggestions of things I could look at b4 it goes to garage to check?

Any help would be great

Phil.

Its 5th syncro.Its a common problem and is a nightmare to do.I was gonna buy a cheap cheap rolla off a guy from work and i knew it had the same problem.So i sat down at work(toyota parts dept)and priced it all up.Something silly like £350.00 but that was with my trade % and i thought that was expensive even with the %

Also to do the job aint top of the pops either.If you know what to do when it come to a transmission the your ok but if not then its labour on top !!

Your better off buying a new box.There not hard to come by..

Hi, had my car looked at weekend just to check ain't nothing else like loose gear linkage etc and definatly 5 gear broken.

Weighing up my options at the mo want to get it fixed as i love the car and take to track days and sprint events and it great handler.

The parts to fix the car are about £200 from toyotas, but i was thinking a reconditioned box would only be simlar amout, thinking that recon might be better option to getting my box fixed.

Was wondering what you guys thought recon or reapir?

Any advice on where i can get a recon from, so far only found second hand imported box that done 44k for £150, having trouble finding any at all.

Also devloped a hole in exhaust in the flexi section another £100 to Shell out, and new pannel filter arriving from piper cross this week see if get any performance increase, once got hole in exaust fixed as got no low end grunt at mo as no back pressure as hole in front section of exhaust. Was going to buy some Koni SSK suspension for my car but think that might have to wait till after XMAS now i got to fix gear box.

Regards

Phil.

• 1 year later...

You're better off getting a whole new gearbox you know is in good nick, cause if fifth gear went its likely you'll get problems with your other gears down the line. Even if parts for the 5th gear job are cheap, the job itself takes ages and labour will cost you heaps. Labour will be cheaper for a new box, and you'll feel safer about your other gears.