Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ipod2car And 2005 Xtr Connections

jeegnesh

I brought ipod2car to connect to my standard Toyota head unit which has model number on the front as 58812

The Toyota specific cable PHXTY1 did not fit, firstly because all the slots on the back were occupied already, there was one that was exactly the same but if use that slot the stereo itself pretty much does not work.

So as per peripheral manual i brought Toyota part no 08695-00370 but this adapter cable will not fit my unit at all. I looked up PHXTY2 cable which it also mentions turn out this is the same cable.

Does anyone know or has tried to connect the same in 2005 UK Rav, could u make it work ?

I wonder does my 58812 even allow a CD changer to be plugged in considering there no spare sokcet on the back of the stereo.

Any help most appreciated.

hi there!

If you have a look at the top of the 4x4 section there is a seperate Rav 4 sub forum. It may help to post there because more Rav owners check that section. Also it keeps all info together for when people are conducting searches.

I notice you are quite new, so welcome to the club too!!

Cheers!

I brought ipod2car to connect to my standard Toyota head unit which has model number on the front as 58812

The Toyota specific cable PHXTY1 did not fit, firstly because all the slots on the back were occupied already, there was one that was exactly the same but if use that slot the stereo itself pretty much does not work.

So as per peripheral manual i brought Toyota part no 08695-00370 but this adapter cable will not fit my unit at all.  I looked up PHXTY2 cable which it also mentions turn out this is the same cable.

Does anyone know or has tried to connect the same in 2005 UK Rav, could u make it work ?

I wonder does my 58812 even allow a CD changer to be plugged in considering there no spare sokcet on the back of the stereo.

Any help most appreciated.

Hi,

The cable you have "08695-00370" is the CD Changer / MD Changer lead that fits at the back of the full screen sat nav head unit. I know this because I've just fitted one to mine this morning :-)

The standard Headunit that you have will take a changer but it's cable fits in-line with the existing plug at the back. (Toyotas "y" type lead)....

I have the audio instructions in PDF form, if you want PM me your email and i'll send them to you.

Hope that helps.

PM my email address, looking forward to the info, going to Toy dealer tomorrow morning, if you can send before then I can go armed with knowledge :-)

so went to Toy dealer with the head unit removed from my car and told them what i wanted, he seemed surprised about the connector blocks at the back and said they must have changed them, regardless he had Y lead which used to add a CD changer to this head unit.

Tried this out and hey presto, we are in business, the sterring controls for forward and rewind worked also and mode button works so when i select the cd changer the ipod kicks on. So far soo good.

Thanks for the help sjrainsford got the manual and that seems handy to keep hold off. The subwoofer they talk about got me wondering though if it connects onto this unit and how much it would cost to pick one up.

• 2 weeks later...

@ Sp33dy1969:

hi,

i've the same problem of jeegnesh,

could you email me the audio instructions in PDF form?

I'll send my email to you!

thanks!

@ jeegnesh:

could you pm me the pinout of the cable,

some pics, anything that could help me,

to connect the ipod to the head unit?

thanks!

Sorry for the dealy been on travels with no net connection.

1.3Mb file I have posted it up rather then sending large email :-

http://www.geocities.com/jeegnesh/manuals/...A3LA2-W-3-F.pdf

If you have the same problem as me then you current head unit should be using up all slots on back of head unit, there is one slot that exactly the same size and fit as you ipod2car but if you use that and leave the current plugged wire out then nothing works. All you need is a lead from toyota that plugs into that slot and comes out the other end as 2 of them so one for ipod2car and one for current connection.

I took my head unit into the dealer so they could see and i explained what i wanted, rather then saying ipod2car i just said i wanted the one that makes this into 2 so i can use a cd changer (aviods confusion).

I made a mistake and have no pics but if i take it out again i will take some snaps.

Good luck let us know how u get on.

• 1 month later...

Hi jeegnesh,

I am having the same problem as you did connecting the ipod2car but in my Avensis (51 plate) I think that the Y cable from Toyota you mentioned would be right for my situation. The trouble is that everywhere I go the parts staff don't seem able to help with this one. Could you post the name of the dealership you visited so that I can contact them and speak with somone knowledgeable and order the correct cable. Many thanks.

Hi jeegnesh,

I am having the same problem as you did connecting the ipod2car but in my Avensis (51 plate) I think that the Y cable from Toyota you mentioned would be right for my situation. The trouble is that everywhere I go the parts staff don't seem able to help with this one. Could you post the name of the dealership you visited so that I can contact them and speak with somone knowledgeable and order the correct cable. Many thanks.

To be fair I myself went to this dealer 3 times, and I even have expense of one incorrect cable on my desk. In the end i took my head unit out and ipod2car adapter in a bag to spares dept, where the spares guy said let me get our know it all guy, out came a young guy and sure enough once i explained and showed him the prob he helped out.

I think if its the same lead as the one i needed, ask for lead that allows you to connect a CD changer to your head unit. That should be a Y lead. I wish know I had taken a picture of that lead, if I take my stereo out I will do that.

FYI - once you install it you never know how you lived without it.

It was Toyota in Slough (RCS 900) here the web link :-

http://www.toyota.co.uk/rcs900/ (01753 511 900)

Thanks for the info. :D I will contact them in the morning and hopefully will get this sorted and enjoy my ipod in my car on the the daily commute to work. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. :D I will contact them in the morning and hopefully will get this sorted and enjoy my ipod in my car on the the daily commute to work. :thumbsup:

Let us know how it goes, and if you get a part number please do post it for others.

Just to let you all know I got in touch with the dealership, sadly the helpful guy who tracked down the cable for you has now left to sart his own business supplying Toyota electrical parts. I manged to get in touch with him and he was going to get in touch with Toyota on my behalf via the dealership. In the meantime I did a little more searching on the internet and found what I have been looking for. Click the linkto view an image of the Y adapter and a very good price too. Discount Car Stereo All things being equal I should get the cable in a week or so and finally be able to play my ipod with distrotion free sound.

Thats certainly looks like the cable. I can't believe you have to order it from USA, surely the dealer should be able to supply this, what a pain,

Thats certainly looks like the cable. I can't believe you have to order it from USA, surely the dealer should be able to supply this, what a pain,

You are right it is a pain....local dealer just rang me today and left a message on my voicemail saying he had "good news" perhaps he has found the part number if so I will post it online.....stay tuned folks!

OK, this should answer everyone's issues with the missing cable. My local dealer had a cable in stock that is perfect for connecting my iPod2car. Turns out that the harness was ordered for another purpose back in 2003 and was just sat in a corner somewhere so I got it for a smile!.... anyway, I have fitted the cable, which would normally cost around £25, and now I have the system working perfectly! Trust me it is ace! Well worth the effort!

OK, the part number should you want to order it from your Toyota dealer is: 08695-00260 and this is a "Y" adaptor that doubles up the female port at the rear of the radio on a 2001 - 2003 Avensis.

Best of luck everyone!

:D :lol:

Excellent mate, glad you got it sorted.

Now for off topic question for you, after you play around with it,, give me your feedback as to startup the ipod whenever u get in the car, I find its a bit hot and miss.

Start the car, already on CD changer mode, I find hitting 2 (radio preset button) usually does the job, but there are times when that fails.

Excellent mate, glad you got it sorted.

Now for off topic question for you, after you play around with it,, give me your feedback as to startup the ipod whenever u get in the car, I find its a bit hot and miss.

Start the car, already on CD changer mode, I find hitting 2 (radio preset button) usually does the job, but there are times when that fails.

I've had it in the Avensis for a couple of days now and I must say overall the performance has been very good. I haven't had the same problem you mentioned. I start the engine, and the iPod starts to play exactly were it left off the last time i played it. The steering wheel controls all work too. I put the iPod to shuffle play and just use the steering wheel control to forward any tracks i don't want to hear. Works great!

It might be worth checking with iPod2car manufacturer for info on this one.

Silly question but I feel I should check, is your ipod left in the car ? or are you plugging it in each time you get in the car ?

Mine left plugged in. Just thought if you plug in your ipod maybe that kicks of the connection.

Silly question but I feel I should check, is your ipod left in the car ? or are you plugging it in each time you get in the car ?

Mine left plugged in. Just thought if you plug in your ipod maybe that kicks of the connection.

Sometimes I leave it in sometimes i disconnect. It doesn't seem to make a diffrence to be honest it just works.