Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Rav 4 Tested

chatman

Just got my weekly fix of Auto Express and this week they have a write up about the new RAV4. Driven in Japan :ph34r:

New RAV 4

car_portal_pic_22727.jpg

:censor: dam computer is runing slooooooooow tonight :censor: :ffs:

Read the review this morniing with my Autoexpress sub it's a very positive review but with mistakes. Toyota Europe is not offering the new RAV4 with 2.4L with 4 Speed Auto in Europe. Toyota Europe are sticking with a crappy revised 2.0L engine from the 2nd Generation RAV4 with a choice of 5 Speed Manual or 4 Speed Auto. Review fails to mention if you want you can press 4WD lock button to make the new RAV4 4WD all the time if you wish.

Not sure on the styling on the new RAV4 maybe better once I see it for real next year, One thing I am not impressed with is the petrol engine option in Europe. The new RAV4 is heavier and the 2.0L will be a real slow coach I reckon.

Why did Toyota Europe not go for 2.4L engine or better still give us V6 RAV4, The new Lexus IS250 engine (2.5L V6 200hp) would have been perfect choice for new RAV4 if the Toyota Europe would not go for 3.5L V6 (Again engine from the new IS350) that North America new RAV4's have as an option.

The new diesel options are great except for one thing why did Toyota not develop a automatic gearbox for them. I sure Lexus IS220d and Toyota Avensis, Avensis Verso and Corolla Verso new buyers would like automatic gearbox option for Diesel engine.

I agree on the auto diesel bit. Diesels and auto boxes go together really well. I've driven a few in the form of audis (sorry to mention them), and the combination is soooo good! The extra torque of the diesel engine works well with the auto, bit like driving a big V8 auto it hardly has to work hard at all.

Exactly Stuart, My folks are big fans of VW/Audi cars they have had a Audi's A4 Avant 2.5TDI with Auto, Touareg 2.5TDI Auto and recently got a A6 Avant 3.0 TDI again Triptronic/Automatic all of them superb engines with great gearboxes.

If Toyota/Lexus want to be serious in Europe about Diesel engines they have to be serious about giving people the choice of manual or automatic gearboxes with the Diesel engines as most if not all the German, French Car Manufactures offer Diesel engines with automatic gearboxes.

I also read the Auto Express article, seems the back seatS now fold into the floor, pity, i enjoy the challenge of finding somewhere in the hall to leave the seats, when i need the extra boot space :P :D .

• 2 weeks later...
Autocar Review (JDM Spec) here :-

http://www.autocar.co.uk/FirstDrive_Summary.asp?RT_ID=217802

Good review, In Autocar magazine it got 4/5 Stars for the review. Just wished the Europe spec models had the same 2.4L Engine and nice CVT gearbox as an option.

why in the world you care about 2.4 vvti, when you will get options of 136hp and 177hp diesel rav4?

new rav4 looks awesome, definetly considering it!

why in the world you care about 2.4 vvti, when you will get options of 136hp and 177hp diesel rav4?

Agree why would you want a 2.4 petrol... You would need a tow bar to tow the tanker for all the fuel your need... :o what with the price going up and down all the time....

I will be looking forward to the 177bhp D4D version..... Should be a stonker :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Simple really I don't do a big mileage don't need mega mpg, So a nice petrol/gas engine does me fine and there is the problem the petrol/gas engine choice for the new RAV4 in Europe IMO is very poor and I sure there are many people with similar requirments for a decent petrol/gas in the new RAV4 when launched.

And the new RAV4 has same old 2.0L engine as 2nd Gen RAV4 with more or less the same hp and yet the new RAV4 is bigger and heavier than the previous RAV4 so the 2.0L engined new RAV4's will be very slow and an engine which is 6 years old in design.

Would loved to have the option of the V6 RAV4 in Europe but yet again we miss out, I say again because we never got the 2nd Generation RAV4 with 2.4L engine that the North America and Australia got.

Also don't like the sound of the new 177hp Diesel engine, Autocar review today of the Lexus IS220d which has the same engine and gearbox as new 177hp Diesel RAV4 said it's "Noticeably rattly at idle and even at sustained motorway speeds there is a quiet but constant thrum in the cabin" and Test scorecard for the Engine it said "Delivers strong performance when on song, but power band too narow" and for Transmission it said "Balky and obstructive six-speed manual, No auto option". Not exactly positive review of new Toyota/Lexus Diesel engine.

Simple really I don't do a big mileage don't need mega mpg, So a nice petrol/gas engine does me fine and there is the problem the petrol/gas engine choice for the new RAV4 in Europe IMO is very poor and I sure there are many people with similar requirments for a decent petrol/gas in the new RAV4 when launched.

And the new RAV4 has same old 2.0L engine as 2nd Gen RAV4 with more or less the same hp and yet the new RAV4 is bigger and heavier than the previous RAV4 so the 2.0L engined new RAV4's will be very slow and an engine which is 6 years old in design.

Would loved to have the option of the V6 RAV4 in Europe but yet again we miss out, I say again because we never got the 2nd Generation RAV4 with 2.4L engine that the North America and Australia got.

Also don't like the sound of the new 177hp Diesel engine, Autocar review today of the Lexus IS220d which has the same engine and gearbox as new 177hp Diesel RAV4 said it's "Noticeably rattly at idle and even at sustained motorway speeds there is a quiet but constant thrum in the cabin" and Test scorecard for the Engine it said "Delivers strong performance when on song, but power band too narow" and for Transmission it said "Balky and obstructive six-speed manual, No auto option". Not exactly positive review of new Toyota/Lexus Diesel engine.

Agree with all you said but all this aside you can rest assured that the thing will never break down and give years of faithfull service :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Unlike some other well know makes who sell loads but are never reliable enough or have never been in the top lists like JD Power etc... :bookworm:

Agree with all you said but all this aside you can rest assured that the thing will never break down and give years of faithfull service :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Unlike some other well know makes who sell loads but are never reliable enough or have never been in the top lists like JD Power etc... :bookworm:

True but the new engine does sound noisy but good in the mpg/torque department.