Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

George Best - R.i.p

Jamesb4uk

yea its a shame, he will be remembered for a long time though, he truley was a great player

ironic though he passed away the same time the 24h drinking law came in

a sad way to spend the last few years of you life

i'm keeping my opinions to myself...

but symphaties to his family.

Same here.. my opinions will remain with me.

It wasn't just the last few years of his life.. it was more or less his entire adult life.

"I spent 90% of my money on women and drink. The rest I wasted"

George Best

'The best player in the world'

Pelé

'Unquestionably the greatest'

Sir Alex Ferguson

'Don't coach him. He's a genius'

Sir Matt Busby

'The one tragedy George Best has to contront is that he will never know how good he could have been'

Michael Parkinson

'He dribbled like Garrincha, pulled birds like Jagger and drank like a fish'

Daily Telegraph

george.jpg

for me the mans a legend :yes:

It wasn't just the last few years of his life.. it was more or less his entire adult life.

Yep.

Same as you guys

Whatever anyones thoughts are on the man, and I have my own, he was a footballing legend and will be sadly missed.

My thoughts are with his family & friends at this time.

:( It's sad to say but some people just can't be helped...

He was an awesome player but could have been a god, a real shame-

RIP and thoughts to his family... :yes:

Yep.

Same as you guys

Yeah... same...

I'm afraid that you will never be able to read the articles In tonights Irish papers. They are the memories & recollections of those who REALLY knew the man.

He was far from being his publis image. Hr was shy & introverted, & turned to alcohol to help him overcome this.

There are stories of his generosity ( he couldn't say no) of ,in recent years, playing a game of snooker with a little boy with Down's Syndrome, allowing the child to beat him, & then playing a further 4 or 5 games to make the chikd happy. This was no publicity stunt; there was nothing in it for him.

I will not relate the whole paper, but he wished his organs to be given to help others, & wished the Photo of him on what was virtually his deathbed, be published as an object lesson to others, on the dangers of drink.

On top of all this he was one of the greatest footballers ever, & was known as the "Fifth Beatle"

He was a Gentle Man who gave pleasure to millions through his skill & public antics, which hurt mainly himself.

We shall not see his likes again.

Rest in Peace, George.

Victor Best ( no relation that I know of)

Well, I never met him and I've never been into footy. And I don't see why famous people should be better respected than the rest of us and all our faults.

But oddly, I miss a person I know little about -- perhaps particularly as a passing part of our culture, as I get older and watch the things I considered constants as a youngster fall along the wayside to remind me of my own mortality or fading prime.

To the finger-pointers I would urge compassion. Some events, actions and illnesses that may seem avoidable from a distance certainly aren't experienced as such by the perpetrators and sufferers. People can't help themselves, otherwise they wouldn't do it. To err is human and by all accounts this person had his tradegies yet many fine human traits.

Well, I never met him and I've never been into footy. And I don't see why famous people should be better respected than the rest of us and all our faults.

But oddly, I miss a person I know little about -- perhaps particularly as a passing part of our culture, as I get older and watch the things I considered constants as a youngster fall along the wayside to remind me of my own mortality or fading prime.

To the finger-pointers I would urge compassion. Some events, actions and illnesses that may seem avoidable from a distance certainly aren't experienced as such by the perpetrators and sufferers. People can't help themselves, otherwise they wouldn't do it. To err is human and by all accounts this person had his tradegies yet many fine human traits.

Well said. :yes:

in his last interview which was on the late Phil lynott of Thin Lizzy. we all remember Phil`s by his music and also the fact he also was the Very best at what he did, but he also died through the excesses of life. what George ask was that we remember what he was great at as with Phil and for and the joy it brought to millions and not what he did after. i know i will remember him that way

By simply replying 'keeping my opinions to myself' shows that clearly your not

I cant say that i had any fair opinion - the only image i ever saw was one of a man troubled by alcohol abuse - which the media loved to enhance at every opportunity that they were give - as with anything! They love kicking people when theyre down! <_<

So thoughts to his family/friends :)

Guest rev3turbo

I cant say that i had any fair opinion - the only image i ever saw was one of a man troubled by alcohol abuse - which the media loved to enhance at every opportunity that they were give - as with anything! They love kicking people when theyre down! <_<

Well said teegs

It is indeed a sad loss of a very gifted sportsman

RIP George

ok then, i have no sympathy for the man, he killed him self and he did NOT deserve that liver........ but damn he could kick a ball, + hey he still managed to pull alex :) hats off to him for that. but yes sympathy is with his family, his son was very quiet on the telly, he looked devistated.

i was keeping my opinions to myself because he had just died... and although i had strong feelings, i felt it would be disrespectful to air them a few hours after he passed away.

forgetting anything else... that man, received a liver transplant - a rare operation

But he was told - if he ever drank again, he would die...

And yes, i know alcoholism is a diease etc etc... but he was the architect of his own death, and could have taken that liver away from someone who wouldnt have wasted it....

and no, i didnt know the man, and my opinions are based on nothing more than the above, not his drinking, not his womanising, not the media and not his football abilties... but just the fact he got a rare second chance and wasted it.

i gotta agree, sypathies for the family

he was a truely great sportsman and was a legend up until the point he became addicted to booze

and then to waste a perfectly good new organ which could have gone to someone else who had 'real problems' not just a big bank balance was the most shameful thing i think ive ever witnessed

RIP

:( The bloke was a living legend. off the pitch..we all make mistakes ...peeps just dont forget that he was probably one of the greatest players ever to grace a footy pitch

Mr.Best R.I.P and thanks for the unbelivalble footage ive spent the last hour watching

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links