Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just Signed Up & Need Help

Madstuthe1st

Hi all,

Have just signed up and need some help.

I have had my mr2, 92 T-bar Black, for a little while now and love it to bits. Should of got one ages ago!

The problem I have is I think the starter motor has broke as when I try to start the engine all I get is a click. Also the lights are bright and all other electrics work so its not the Battery. I was going to do this work myself, but am unable to find any manuals apart from one which is for the Mk1.

Does anyone know where I could get a manual from? and if anyone has changed a starter motor on an mr2, how easy/difficult was it?

Thanks

haven't actually done it myself but cant see it being too difficult......it should only be a question of locating it (if its owt like mine thats not the easiest job) unbolting it disconecting and reconnecting the new one......its just a one for one swap.........

if you hang on a bit im sure the ORICLE (rhaines) will be along soon. he will be able to help you futher :group-cuddles: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I had viewed this post but unfortunately the Oracle (lmao) has had no experience of this problem...

The closest I've come which I am not sure effects the AW11 would be a blown EFI fuse. I blew my Electronic Fuel INjection Fuse on the way to Belgium and the result was similar where you turn the key and get clicking noises but nothing happening as no fuel was getting to the engine....

May be worth a look but doubt that is the problem....

I'll have a look at the fuse in the morning as I'm off tomorrow.

I know where it is located, just think its going to be a pain trying to get to it.

Will let you know how I get on.

The fuse is easy to get o if you are looking form the back of the car forward you have a big black box to the left of the engine bay, it's a blue fuse...

You might want to check the Battery terminals to make sure they're not loose ans that there is no corrosion on the terminals. I can only start my tubby if the Battery terminals are making excellent contact with the power leads to the car, otherwise, I just get a click from the starter motor. In thses cases the lights are still bright, indicating that everything should be fine. These cars needs lots of amps to start, so I would check this out. You might also consider charging the Battery fully on a charger :)

Thanks for your ideas.

I've checked the fuse and that is fine. I have cleaned the terminals and still only get the clicking. I'm going to charge the Battery up fully before trying anything else.

I tried to get a better look at the starter motor, but had trouble getting the air cooler assembly off.

Most things on the two are relatively easay with a bit of common sense, some help from the forum and an awful lot of patience, oh and a friend who knows what they're doing :D (thanks scot)

the contacts in your starters solenoid are worn, here's a link to show you how to replace them Click here

There you are you see! It is amazing just how much power the car needs to start - always best to check the cheap/free things first. I'm so glad it's working for you, and you didn't spend a penny :).

glad you got it sorted. I was gonna suggest putting a metal contact ( spanner ) over the solonoid conections as it would tell you if you had a bad earth or something.... but you sorted now... maybe time for a new Battery though?

Loz :crybaby:

Yeah, if a Battery is flat, best to replace - once they have been dead once, their life is drastically reduced.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links